1. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Cristal dying ruined the show

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by nostalgicstudent, May 10, 2019.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,357
    Medals:
    It soils the name of one of the greatest 80s soaps.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    NuDynasty’s ratings have topped off. There’s nowhere to go but down. They won’t go up as the momentum is gone (unless something absolutely extraordinary happens).

3. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    Unfortunately it's a show I really can't recommend to a friend. I mean, there a few shows I am obsessed about, I oftenly talk about them to my friends. I tell them "watch that show, that is so good." or "so clever", or "so fun".

I really can't advice anyone to watch it, as it is right now. It would be mean. I would be a bit ashamed... NuDynasty was for me a guilty pleasure. Maybe it was an hopeless attempt from me to catch back the (good) feelings I had when I watched the original series when I was a kid, and rewatch dit when I was a teen. I don't know. Anyway, I'm not ready to let go. So I will for sure watch season 3 without missing an episode. Unless it become worst... I gave up Fear The Walking Dead during the latest mid season. I can't go back. Its unwatchable (the new show runners delivered an awful season 4B, and so far a worst season 5A.). I unfortunately belong now to that group of people who prefers reading watchers' comments that the show itself. At least, I stil watch NuDynasty, because even if season 2 was mediocre as a whole, there were a few goods to very goods episodes imo. I can't say the same about Fear...

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    Granted, the old Dynasty wasn’t Shakespeare, but NuDynasty doesn’t give its audience an ounce of intellect.

5. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Medals:
    I love the NuDynasty. Fab to binge watch.

The first Cristal was really weak, the second annoying. Third time lucky?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,203
    Medals:
    Because he wasn't smart enough to write it.

[​IMG]

7. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    Medals:
    It was a very different time. Shakespeare had no easy access to monkeys, and the typewriter had not been invented yet.

8. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,203
    Medals:
    He should have known that Dynasty wasn't about fur coats made of monkeys.

9. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    He should have known that Dynasty was about shoulder pads.

10. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I agree. I feel like the original was over the top and crazy so I can't fault the new one for the same thing. It's entertaining and that's all I care about. There are things I don't like yes, but the overall binge is good.

11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    I'm desperately trying to think of that something "extraordinary" but nothing comes to mind. This coming season I have to get my head around the fact we'll have a new Cristal and Alexis. Pass the smelling salts :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,357
    Medals:
    Yes, but on the original the characters took themselves and the plot seriously, i can't get this feeling with this one, it's more like a sitcom and i don't want to see a sitcom version of Dynasty.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    Nu Dynasty does come across as though they're playing for laughs. From my point of view there is a huge difference between laughing with or laughing at....I'm doing the latter.

14. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Medals:
    Maybe you are taking it too seriously.

It's watchable just for Fallon, she is wonderful.

I don't know I would stick to it if I had to wait a week as I do tend to skip scenes but it's enjoyable as a fun bingefest.

It works for me, I wasn't expecting much to start with. I prefer to the original.

15. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,357
    Medals:
    Not really. It's just what i think about it, i won't get any depressions over it. ;)
    The problem for me is that the show doeasn't take itself seriously. I never liked that with soaps. When Dallas started that in the later seasons, it went crap as well.
    But it all doesn't matter anyway, because i'm not even a little bit excited for it's return in october. I just stopped caring about it quite early of season 2.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Medals:
    I'm excited to see what they do with Alexis, so I hope it's a big name. But considering everyone is leaving it, might be hard to get someone decent.

17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    ...and that's the underlying issue which began from the opening sequence when the Carrington family compared themselves to the Trump, Murdoch and Kadashound families. Granted the Murdoch family tend to keep a low profile however the other two families have no class. It's like watching white trailer trash on steroids and perhaps this is how we're meant to view Nu Dynasty because it kind of reflects that.

18. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I feel like that is just how people write straight forward soaps today. I prefer it taken seriously too, but I at least like that this is soapy, has great easter eggs to the original and is enjoyable. Compared to what they did to Dallas it's hard for me to complain. There's a new show called Ambitions which reminds me of a new version of Dallas or Falcon Crest. It's written by a life long soap fan and he brought on two daytime soap writers and it's interesting because it's unabashedly a soap. It has all the twists and turns, the sex, the soapy dialogue, etc. but it also is well written. I would love to see what those writers would do on Dyansty. It's full of those twists and has a large cast, but the characters are still very three dimensional and the twists actually are paid off. That's the one thing I wish Dynasty would work on, pay off.

19. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Medals:
    But there is a mix of OTT and seriousness. I thought the fire episode was great. Or the shock of Alexis being pushed into the fire or even how Steven was manipulated.

I thought all those were done with a certain amount of seriousness. Then mixed in is the OTT stuff.

But overall Fallon saves the show. I can't think of anyone better to play the part. She can do serious and comedy.

It's an OTT version of Desperate Housewives but without the pretence. I like that about it.

If it wasn't like it was it would just end up being generic. It was never going to highbrow and the alternative is rather grey. I think it's fun.

20. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,203
    Medals:
    Sure, but you just mentioned the very best of, everyone on this forum loved that stuff.
    It's not like they gave the other characters a chance, I think that makes her the saviour by default.
    Nevertheless, I think the actress has the spunk and the energy that's required for this particular role.
    The "character" drama on DH could be very effective sometimes while there's zero investment in the NuDynasty characters.
    Therfore, those moments when they do show personal dilemmas/character conflict it tends to fall flat, and that also qualifies as pretence imho.
    Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll never know.
    Esther Shapiro stated that it was going to be fun escapism, and whenever NuDynasty delivers I think that's exactly what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1