Cristal dying ruined the show

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by nostalgicstudent, May 10, 2019.

1. nostalgicstudent

nostalgicstudent Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I just caught up with the latest episode and man killing off Cristal/Celia is a blow the show never recovered from, the new Cristal makes this even more obvious as her character is so incredibly badly written and the actress doesn't fit at all and has no chemistry with anyone. The new Cristal introduction is such a wasted opportunity, they could have made it mysterious and an actual good storyline, instead in about 2 eps she's with Blake and all we get is a badly photoshopped photo of her and Celia and thats it?

I truly don't get how this show thought killing off one Cristal and randomly introducing another one would be a good storyline? She was a main character, the moral compass of the show even, she had such good dynamics and chemistry with everyone. If they were so dissatisfied with this character, improve the writing or do an actual recast, which would have been better than immediately replacing her with another one. I hope Cristal 2 either dies or becomes a vilain because now she has 0 identity she's just a bad replacement for an amazing character.

On top of that, Cristal J.'s character makes little sense, The only character development she ever got was how she was terrified of her familia and how she ran away to never ever in her life have to deal with them again after they almost killed her and Mark.
    But all of the sudden she wants Blake and her father Silvio to meet and get a long and she's happy they're working together to do shady business? Am I just missing something? Where is the logic?

know Nat has said shell never come back, but I keep hoping Celia somehow faked her death and comes back to ruin Blake

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,879
    This is Peach Dynasty. There is no logic :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Yes. I agree. With both of you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I agree 110%. If Cristal J was going to turn out this dark and devious anyway, why get rid of the original Cristal in the first place? I thought this Cristal was going to be this show's true moral center. Apparently not, since she seems to be perfectly okay with letting Blake get away with all kinds of horrible crap and she doesn't even seem to bat an eye at the fact that her shady dad is now in town. I mean, Cristal 1.0 was already dark and edgy and pretty much served the same purpose as the other one, so what was the point then? I really believe this show truly started going downhill the minute they decided to get rid of Cristal/Celia Machado completely and replace her with another version that has been all over the place character-wise and narrative-wise and just hasn't clicked entirely with viewers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Milescolby

Milescolby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hmmm. I like Ana Brenda as Cristal overall but then I also liked Nathalie. Sadly the writers have ruined both characters (or both versions of the functionally same character I should say). When given good material to work with, Ana Brenda really shines (the Mark Jennings situation and the aftermath, the Christmas plot with winding up Alexis). Sadly she is one of the inconsistently written characters in an already competitive field.

Why on earth are they making her so morally dubious? The Bonnie and Clyde thing with Blake was excruciatingly embarrassing. I hope we’re not now heading for a new Cristal every season given how knee-jerk the producers are in responding to the audience’s reactions - she has kind of bombed - but sadly I wouldn’t be surprised if they do axe her. They don’t seem to mind appearing ridiculous. And all the while missing the point that it’s the writers who should be having the gun pointed at them. It really is like they have learned nothing. And I have defended them at times, especially this season. They really do seem to excel at writing characters into corners though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    I still want to know what happened behind the scenes? Why would they replace Nathalie Kelley? Did she want off the lowest rated show on network television? Or did focus groups not like her, so the producers / The CW took that as gospel and wanted her gone for season 2?

Obviously, her Cristal had very little to do with the original character, too, but that was the writing, she could've easily been a gold digger who gradually learns what truly matters in life, wins over everyone's affections and grows into the moral core of the family. The actress had something likable about her, good chemistry with Blake as well as the other characters, and I could see that DYNASTY oomph about her.

I don't hate the new actress, she's OK, but her taking over the role (and as a whole new character no less), completely changed the flavor of the show. I'm one of the very few people here who enjoys this reboot, but the Cristal switch pissed me off.

(And a whole lot more than the loss of Nicolette Sheridan, who was compelling in her role at first, but quickly fizzled into a tired comic relief.)

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,146
    Medals:
    Somehow I feel that all this love for Cristal I comes from disliking Cristal II more.
    For the most part of season 1 (but I'd have to re-read all the old threads) nobody here really loved her. Too slutty, too bitchy and her vocal fry was also a topic of discussion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. nostalgicstudent

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well I liked Cristal since the first ep (the vocal fry was annoying) and I feel that she grew so much near the end of the season, she was also classy and elegant as I wanted Cristal to be. But I cant deny that my utter disliking of cristal 2 made me appreciate cristal 1 so much more, shes just all kinds of wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    I have a habit of cutting out favorite scenes from shows as clips and re-watching them when I feel like it (so I don't have to look for them in the full episodes) and I have quite a few Cristal 1 videos and they are even from before Alexis came along (not to mention Cristal 2), so I must have liked her all along.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Nathalie Kelly's Cristal really belonged to the Carrington's world...

That's absolutely true. But many of the fans changed their mind mid way, and she was growing on them when she became a decent human being. When she started to fight against Blake because she felt it was amoral that people died (like Michael 's father) or got sick because of Blake, she was becoming a moral compass. She wanted things to be fair and honest. Like original Krystle disagreed with Blake, the first season, about his business methods and was vocal about them. Cristal was also getting closer to Fallon, and it was nice little moments. Many of us started to like her a lot. For once, the writers were fixing their mistake, and were doing a good job, redeeming Cristal.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nostalgicstudent

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    exactly midseason they really started to redeem Cristal, and she became my favorite pert of the show, she fit in perfectly and was the moral compass and had great dynamics with everyone. Why redeem a character if youre gonna kill her off? Cant you come up with a better story for that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Yes, writers did a great job redeeming Cristal and they made her lovable. Maybe it wasn't the writer's choice to kill her. Maybe it was a Network decision. That's why I would have preferred NuDynasty to be a Netflix exclusive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nostalgicstudent

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ive b
    Ive been thinking the same, I wouldve liked it to be cancelled and then picked up by Netflix, seems the show isnt in control over their decisions at all, as it makes little to no sense. I hope they just get rid of the cristal character completely at this point

14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,146
    Medals:
    So it looks like they're doing the opposite with Cristal II. I appreciate the surprises (killing Mac) but I'm still not convinced that it's going to work in the grand scheme of things.
    It could work but it seems they want it both ways, I don't mind Blake & Cristal as a despicable couple, but I think they still want us to root for them simply because they're Carringtons.
    Sometimes you just have to stick with your decision, but at this point it's too early to tell where it's all leading up to, and what kind of effect it will have on the other characters.

I really loved the scene when Cristal humiliated Alexis, shortly before Alexis decided to kill herself.

15. nostalgicstudent

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I dont mind them as a despicable couple either, but I then dont want the show to want us to root for them, because I dont in any way. But yeah I wish they all had more interaction like cristal humiliating alexis, that was my favorite Cristal 2 moment

16. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    O
    Oh yeah, Mark, who was supposed to be Cristal's sweetheart in the past, who died in front of hers, whose blood was literally all around her face, was never mentioned again, never had a decent funeral, or an investigation (he died in the Carrington estates). That story simply vanished.

17. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    I like (not much but enough) Sam, but without NuCristal1.0 and his divorce with Steven, he doesn't belong in the mansion. It's even worst than Original Jeff (actually Blake knew him since he was a Kid, and loved him)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Once again, bad writing. If they got rid of Steven, they should've killed him in Paraguay, and not finding the body. Or, let him escape the mental facility in Paris, drugged by whatever Adam gave him, and declare him dead. When presumed dead, they develop the whole Adam storyline, while Sam becomes a widow, dealing with the whole acceptance thing. Now he has a reason to stay in the manor, and money since he inherited Steven's money. Maybe Steven adopted a kid in Paraguay, a revelation after the Ayahuasca thing related to his almost parenting fiasco with Melissa, and we have a LB, happened while the marriage was still legal and according to the law (or TV law), he is Samuel Josiah's son too. Now Sam is also the father of a Carrington, and lots of drama to deal with. That updates the female Sammy Jo's story from the 80s, with the gay parenting which is not exactly shocking nowadays but not very common on TV, and explains why that guy is still around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Apparently, it will resurface in the season's cliffhanger.

And as I expected, there will be a wedding (look at the promotional picture below).
    [​IMG]

20. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Blake and Cristal 2.0, as a wife can't testify against her husband ?

• Like Like x 1