Create Your Own Character/characters

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Falcon Crest I, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    I noticed on the Dallas forum a topic about creating your own character/characters. I'm curious as to what role or roles fans here would create for Falcon Crest?

Rather than Ana Alicia coming back as photographer Samantha Ross I would've had her cast again as Melissa's identical twin. With good writing I feel it would have been possible, even if it is a concept more widely used in day time soap.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    The doppelgänger plot (Samantha looking like Melissa) was a bit too far fetched for my liking i.e. it was almost quasi DYNASTY (Rita and Krystle). The other side of the argument is that your double is somewhere in the world. I always thought the long lost twin scenario would have been the better option for Ana Alicia's much needed return, in season 8.

Regarding season 8; specifically Chao-Li's talk to Frank, about his family: IMHO the two sons from China should have arrived in the Valley, at the expense of all the Ortegas. Granted if Pilar was a must then well and good, since she was a character created by the then show runner Michael Filerman but not her brothers and the shoehorned foreman Cesar. So I would definitely have physically created the two Chao-Li sons, rather than just merely mentioning them in passing.

Of all the eighties shows FC created new characters with ease. Some of them were forgot about too quickly, one or two outstayed their welcome and others should never have materialised. Michael Filerman had the opportunity to make the two Chinese sons fully fledged characters and didn't take it. Such a shame!

Angela and Chao-Li are planning Lorraine and Lance's vacation to Italy, (a scene from season 4, 1984 - '85):

Angela says to Chao-Li: "Well I didn't plan on her going but if she doesn't I'm sure Lance will do something foolish."

Chao-Li: "Lorraine knows where Lance is, in China Town. It is best we keep her at Falcon Crest."

Angela: "Getting her on board that freighter without anyone seeing her is not going to be easy."

Chao-Li: "To get Lance on board without her would be even more difficult."

Angela: "Well we'll get them there if we have to Shanghai them."

She turns around to him, before walking into the foyer.

Angela: "Oh! Excuse the expression Chao-Li."

Chao-Li smiles at her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Falcon Crest I

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    Your idea should have happened or maybe even have Li-Ying come back, when Chao-Li was seriously ill. I liked the character of Li-Ying and all that earthquake stuff.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Medals:
    Jacqueline's sister would have been a character I would like to have seen. I read on another topic Snarky wanted Donna Reed in the role, could she have pulled it off? What would her scenes have been like with Angela? Maybe likely Angela would have ate her for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper BUT if the old foe's sister had something for the taking then a different approach was possible, with the wine loving grandma.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    I suppose Jacqueline's sister could have turned up at some stage, in the Valley. The opportune time for her first scene would've been either at Jacqueline's funeral, when her son Dr. Michael Ranson done his duty or to seek answers for Micahel's death in the sabotaged plane crash, circa a year later. Snarky's chosen one i.e. Donna Reed might have been able to do the role, depending on the design but Anne Baxter from HOTEL would have been an interesting alternative, IMHO.

Richard converses with Pamela about his mother's will (Jacqueline Perrault) and digests the news that Chase has given away their $50,000,000 inheritance, (a scene from season 3, 1983 - '84):

"There is no inheritance! My dear brother gave the money to some nuns. Maybe he thinks they're going to make him a cardinal, maybe even pope."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    Couldn’t agree more. I wanted to see his two sons as rich and powerful, maybe involved in shadow government politics. I wanted to see Choa-Li as not just a “servant,” which he never was, but more an old friend of Angela’s, a monk devoted to Buddhist teaching (like Angela was a good Catholic girl). They missed a great opportunity to explore with Choa-Li a more natural diversity to the show there from the beginning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    [​IMG]
    Robert Guillaume as David Rosemont

Rosemont’s brother. Background: one of Richards boarding school teachers. Upon the death of his brother he inherits control of the family shares in RBS (Rosemont, Beaumont and Spenser), a global conglomerate (a Cayman Islands registered company, Hong Kong company based on Jardine, Matheson and Co. and Dent and Co.).

[​IMG]
    James Shigeta as Chi Yong-Li

Chao-Li’s brother. Background: Yong is a major shareholder in RBS and controls the family fortune in Taiwan since older brother Chao-Li left to travel the world as a monk, settling in service to Angela Channing.

[​IMG]
    Jason Scott Lee as Chi Dia-Li

Chao-Li’s youngest son. Background: Dia’s oldest brother was killed trying to infiltrate and overthrow the Chinese Communist government. Dia was sent to school in England, including a Ph.D. in Economics from the LSE, former British SAS officer, and is heir to head up the family fortune.

RBS owns a great deal of California farm land and had moved into the Tuscany Valley next - instead of Michael Sharpe. David has a family score to settle with Richard and Angela, and the 13 aren’t as disbanded as one would like to think. He quickly does away with the St. James brothers and sees to Emma being put in an institution. While Richard fights to get his life back, Lance proves he’s Angela’s grandson by helping Richard get on his feet and enlisting the help of Chao-Li’s brother. Dia comes along for the ride and ends up having an affair with Pilar, Sydney and Chris Agretti.

The last season was a mess and they needed to dive into the deep end of the pool. Lance needed to finally be more than cheese cake, he was getting to old for that. Pilar was boring. They needed to destroy her character. After Pilar implodes maybe she’d have been interesting as Lance’s rival (as in Alexis). Sydney and Chris were under used. Sydney should have then been set up with Lance and an interesting background story developed. And a gay romance at the time wound have pushed the boundaries started on Dynasty. Without Angela they needed to run wild.

Main cast post Angela:

Uncle Richard - runs Channing Enterprises
    Aunt Emma - her usual self + matriarch
    Lance - runs Falcon Crest + growing wealth
    Sydney - devoted wife, mother of his children
    Dia - Lance’s go to man (not a servant)
    Chris - Dia’s love interest and Agretti vintner
    Pilar - Lance’s chief foil + Ortega family feud
    David - Lance’s 2nd foil, Emma’s romance
    Abbey - Lance’s 3rd foil, Richard’s romance

note: Abbey Fairgate (formerly Cunningham, Ewing, Scott and Sumner) shows up in town as Maggie’s cousin, her mother and Maggie’s father were siblings. Richard finds her interesting. Possible further crossovers with Knots Landing.

note: Richard’s boys away at boarding school out east; little Angela floating around, learning to walk and talk; Lance and Pilar fight over their daughter Lisa.

note: appearances from Lance’s brother, Father Christoper, to establish Lance’s close Catholic faith, intertwined with the practice of Buddhism of Dia.

note: Angela remains in a comma until Jane Wyman says otherwise. Let her giver her soliloquy as well. Such may have ended the show but at least it would have gone out swinging.

note: no Michael, Danny or Lauren

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Medals:
    What if Lance had a sister? Now say she turned up with Fr. Chris in season 5 and was a nun......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    I liked the VERTIGO aspects of the Melissa/Samantha storyline. I think I'd do it like DALLAS did Wes Parmalee, with all the red herring: it's never entirely resolved, and the viewer is left to decide for themselves.

Unlike Rita Lesley or Steven#2 (who weren't really Krystle or Steven #1).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    I would have liked to have seen more of Chao-Li's family and given him a more substantial storyline than mostly just waiting on Angela. I also think there was a missed opportunity to introduce some of Douglas's family, an uncle or Aunt for Richard, Emma and Julia would have sided with one half of the family against the other.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Falcon Crest I

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    Yeah the Channing side to the show wasn't explored at all I.e. an uncle or aunt which seemed to be a missed opportunity and of course Chao-Li was underwritten, more often than not. When he was given something substantial like Li-Ying, his quandary to leave FC and his health crisis Mr. Chi could do the job well. Not forgetting his humorous moments among his black and white ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    I found it interesting they felt the need to force diversity in the show later on when they’d had it right there all along. Chao-Li wasn’t an opportunity for an up stairs / down stairs kind of thing, he was more than a servant. I’d argue he wasn’t even a servant. He was a friend and surrogate father. It was a natural fit for more diversity to explore his family.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Falcon Crest I

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    Yeah very good point and as Jock Og commented FC didn't need all those Ortegas when the ingredients were there to make more characters via Angela's faithful sidekick.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    Exactly. Instead of Batman and Robin we could have had Batman and Superman IF they developed it. I know the trend was for diversity on these shows and I agree 100% with the theory but the practice was sad. They ignored Asian Americans as far as I could tell and African American were there as well to develop through Rosemont which they failed to utilize - a much underused character. As for Hispanic Americans why didn’t they branch off the Nunouz family? The moral of the story - don’t force diversity. If they’d had played up those 3 characters in Jane Wayman’s absence and utilized Lance (already Hispanic himself and could have played it up that his father was Hispanic and his last name was an Anglicisation of a Spanish name - can’t recall if they already made an issue of Tony being Italian as both actors were, but if not he could have been born Antonio Cumulado y Lanzo) - Falcon Crest would have been the most diverse show on television, with only Richard and Emma being mostly Anglo-Saxon (though each Italian in their material grandfather’s side). They also could have used Carla Gugino much more, who is 1/2 Italian herself. The possibilities were there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Falcon Crest I

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    SteveW, I heard that Carla Gugino was to return as a main character; if by some miracle there had there been a season 10, (after season 9 was practically ruined until Jane Wyman finished the show off, with her sentimental monologue).

• Like Like x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)