Could CW Dynasty spin-off into something else?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, May 29, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Since we're already discussing variants on THE COLBYS, but what if it would be another classic soap remake?
    NuPaper Dolls? NuFalcon Crest? NuDallas? Or, dare I say it, NuHotel?

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    I don't want remakes, frankly. I'd much prefer nuDYNASTY be a continuation than a remake, albeit produced by the same team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092

NuHotel was actually attempted way back in 2003 for UPN, which is now the "C" part of The CW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    I still hope they do a new Peyton Place. Possibly still set in the 60s... and I'd film it on location in the very town where the 1950s movie was filmed:

I'd have these characters be the main cast:

Peyton Place Cast3.png

I decided to include Selena Cross from the original novel/50s movie, only made her black. Betty Anderson would also be Hispanic. Marion Patrtridge from the novel/movie would also be included, and would be one of the show's villains as the self-righteous, gossipy old biddy who makes it her goal in life to make life hell for Constance and Allison. Michael Rossi would still be the new doctor in town, and he and Constance have themselves a steamy on-again-off-again romance that may or may not end in matrimony. Norman Page wouldn't be Rodney's brother like how he was in the TV series, but back to his "Norman Bates"-esque character in the novel. He could probably even be the show's signature gay character, and would become attracted to Lew Miles.

Allison would be the show's narrator, even during the season where she disappears. That's because she eventually returns, and the last season would reveal she's been writing about the events this whole time. She gets her book published, creating a metaphorical wildfire when the residents of Peyton Place realize its about them.

I even came up with an idea for how the series ends (premature, I know :lol:). Dr. Rossi has been put on trial and is awaiting his fate (much like the original series), but reassures his pregnant wife, Constance, that things will be alright. Meanwhile, Allison and Rodney are strolling quietly through the town, hand-in-hand. At this point, they are not a couple, but are certainly available. They end up by the train station (which is where the series begins when Dr. Rossi came into town), and watch as people get on, while new people get off. The camera's view is suddenly on the train, and it takes off while Allison and Rodney watch it go.

We hear Allison's voice one last time: "Thank you for visiting Peyton Place. Good-bye."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Yes, but then it couldn't be a Dynasty spin-off, although it probably shouldn't be a CW show to begin with.
    I like your idea of a novel/movie/series mash-up.

Personally I'd love to see Dallas back on TV, but only with the original TNT Dallas cast, and they're probably no longer available.
    NuBare Essence could be interesting too especially since I've never seen the sequel series, only the mini-series.
    Or maybe a 90s soap like Central Park West:D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    Well no. But when you started talking about NuDallas and NuFalcon Crest, I thought you were talking about spinoffs in general.

No it shouldn't. Maybe it could be an AMC show, although the problem there would be that people would liken it too much to Mad Men... especially if they cast January Jones as Constance (yes, that's my casting choice!).

Thank you. :)

I'm probably gonna get some hate for this, but if the CW ever gets its hands on Dallas, they need to do a crossover with Dynasty, and have Alexis sleep with JR. Like the original series should have done. But nooooooo...

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Peyton Place is a 20th Century Fox property, though just like with the upcoming Roswell reboot, they could always go back and license the original source material (which is why "Roswell" is now called Roswell, New Mexico).

I don't see Dallas being touched as a property for another two decades. So, see you in my mid-50s?

8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
  9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    :lol:

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    I still want that "Aspen" show. Or: The Colbys Return To Eden Place.
    A John Ross/Emma/Fallon trio would be awesome:)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,889
    My wish would be for CBS to swoop in and steal the show from their corporate cousin, the CW and have it air in CBS primetime and get an even larger potential audience.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    That would basically just get the show pulled after one episode - I love the fact that it's on The CW as it can survive on meager ratings.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,266
    Seriously though why hasn't HBO or FX or some such network made a darker Douglas Sirk style remake of Peyton Place. They could touch on all the more sordid things from the source material and add all kinds of artistic/stylistic little bits. It would be amazing. A twisted look behind the glorious technicolor curtain of perfect 50's/60's America.
    All perfect facades masking crumbling ruined things.

I think it's time.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm too young to remember the original, so I don't know the answer to this: Did the original show share a continuity with another series on television?

15. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    It had a spin-off called THE COLBYS which had some overlap -- and it was less bad than the parent series in its two concurrent years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Alexis could go to Dallas to get assistance from her old 'friend' J.R., and this introduces the Ewings and Southfork/Ewing Oil for the remake. Or, Alexis flies to Tuscany Valley to get a favor from Angela or Richard.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    Plus, they could do what Grace Metalious originally wanted and have Selena Cross be raped/impregnated by her father, and not her stepfather (cuz back in those days, incest was too racy for readers). And they could delve deep into just how twisted Norman Page's relationship with his mother, Evelyn, was (especially since she gave him enemas, yuck). Also, in the novel, the town's namesake, Samuel Peyton, was black. Imagine the locals having a hard time with that bit of information!

Because the idea has taken over my brain, I thought up some more stuff:

Since the original TV series was planned to start in 1962 (they ended up having to wait till 1964), that's when I'd have the series begin. It would end in 1969, like the original series, totaling 7 or 8 seasons.

Constance would go back to owning a dress shop and not a bookstore. That would be a perfect excuse for decking both her and Allison out in fashionable 60s outfits: its a way of advertising her own work while she's out and about. And having Allison also wear the clothes would show the town that she, Constance, can make dresses not just for mature women, but also for younger ones as well.

I'd also reference other famous/infamous works/real life events for the characters of Allison, Betty and Constance: Allison, after she returns from her disappearance, would casually give one bizarre explanation after another, one of which is a pretty blatant "Rosemary's Baby" reference; Betty would have a storyline similar to "Valley of the Dolls"; and Constance would have a romance that ends in fatal disaster, mirroring what happened with Lana Turner's abusive lover (meaning Allison gets to go stabby-stabby to save her mother).

Oh yes, and Michael Rossi had a different name in the original printings: Tomas Makris. He was named after a co-worker of the author's husband, and he sued for libel. Thus the name "Michael Rossi" was born. In editions published in the United Kingdom, he was called Michael Kyros. Why am I bringing this up? Because I'd have Michael Rossi be split into 2 characters:

Dr. Michael Rossi, based off the original TV series; and Tomas Kyros, the new principal of Allison's high school. Both men end up having steamy affairs with Constance (first Principal Kyros; it's with him that she has the infamous "diamond-hard nipple" scene with :lol:). Principal Kyros isn't long for the series, though. Either he quits and leaves town, or he dies in a school-fire, or gets murdered, or leaves because of a scandal, or gets arrested for something... either way, he ends up leaving the show either towards the end of the first season or somewhere in the second season. Miss Elsie Thornton becomes the new principal, which the students are all glad for, since she was their original choice.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Twisted little me remembers that.
    That's quite significant and yet I don't remember it at all.
    Oh noos! I loved the bookstore, and it allows every character to drop in, not just the female characters. And Allison is so fond of literature, there should always be an excuse to have her hold a book.

I also want that creepy carnival/funfair accident, but maybe in the remake they could do something bigger, season cliffhanger style, that involves more characters e.g. a roller coaster accident.
    And the Peyton mansion has to be lush & plush, of course.
    upload_2018-5-30_10-58-0.png
    This staircase would guarantee a proper tumble, but I wouldn't mind an exact copy of the original.
    But the point is, a cacaphony of wood, fabrics, drapery, carpets and ornaments, combined with a little bit of 1950s/1960s Hollywood tackiness.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    Everyone does. :lol:

Well, I could be misinformed on that detail, yet I do like including it all the same. :)

Oh I know! Let's give Constance both businesses. :D I know that may sound unrealistic, a single mom in the 60s owning two shops, but I think it could be justified: she inherited the bookstore from her father (I was also thinking she got her house from him as well). I think that could say a lot about Constance; her father owning a bookstore would suggest a quiet little home-life for her, yet her ambition made her want to go out and see the world... yet her pregnancy forced her to return home. But it was that same ambition that made her decide to start her own business.

Plus, she could have some of the other young characters come work for her: Selena Cross, of course, ends up working the dress shop. Maybe Norman Page or Lew Miles (or both) end up working in the bookstore. And Constance oversees them all.

And it could give Marion Partridge more reason to be jealous of Constance, who is 36 (the exact age Marion claims to be), single, beautiful, glamorous, and independently well off. Y'know, everything Mrs. Partridge is not. :lol:

Oooh, a roller coaster accident! ^^ Could make for a thrilling episode. :D

Agreed. I think the Peyton Mansion should look like its from another world, almost, thus making it a creepier dwelling - fitting for the villainous Martin Peyton. :D

Plus, wasn't there, in the original, a scene where a woman falls down the mansion stairs? I remember she made a lunge at Betty, who dodged, and later left the mansion so nobody would blame her for the woman's apparent death?

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Yes, they blamed Rita's father, Eddie Jacks.
    Adrienne Van Leyden, introduced as Peyton's fiancée, was brought to Peyton Place to seduce Steven, hoping it would end Steven and Betty's marriage.
    Peyton wanted Rodney & Betty to become his successors, and not Steven because he was a bastard and that would tarnish the Peyton bloodline.
    upload_2018-5-30_18-25-7.png
    Great stuff!

Why not two businesses run by two different people? Perhaps snobby Doris Schuster thinks that Peyton Place could use some style and haute couture.
    That dress shop could be a hangout for all the nasty gossip and bitchery and - since I know you're going to mention this - a fabulous catfight between Betty and Selena.
    The possibilities are endless, and with the remake-mania of the last two decades it's surprising they haven't done it yet.

• Like Like x 1