Could CW Dynasty spin-off into something else?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, May 29, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    Since we're already discussing variants on THE COLBYS, but what if it would be another classic soap remake?
    NuPaper Dolls? NuFalcon Crest? NuDallas? Or, dare I say it, NuHotel?

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,465
    I don't want remakes, frankly. I'd much prefer nuDYNASTY be a continuation than a remake, albeit produced by the same team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156

NuHotel was actually attempted way back in 2003 for UPN, which is now the "C" part of The CW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    Yes, but then it couldn't be a Dynasty spin-off, although it probably shouldn't be a CW show to begin with.
    I like your idea of a novel/movie/series mash-up.

Personally I'd love to see Dallas back on TV, but only with the original TNT Dallas cast, and they're probably no longer available.
    NuBare Essence could be interesting too especially since I've never seen the sequel series, only the mini-series.
    Or maybe a 90s soap like Central Park West:D

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Well no. But when you started talking about NuDallas and NuFalcon Crest, I thought you were talking about spinoffs in general.

No it shouldn't. Maybe it could be an AMC show, although the problem there would be that people would liken it too much to Mad Men... especially if they cast January Jones as Constance (yes, that's my casting choice!).

Thank you. :)

I'm probably gonna get some hate for this, but if the CW ever gets its hands on Dallas, they need to do a crossover with Dynasty, and have Alexis sleep with JR. Like the original series should have done. But nooooooo...

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Peyton Place is a 20th Century Fox property, though just like with the upcoming Roswell reboot, they could always go back and license the original source material (which is why "Roswell" is now called Roswell, New Mexico).

I don't see Dallas being touched as a property for another two decades. So, see you in my mid-50s?

7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    :lol:

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    I still want that "Aspen" show. Or: The Colbys Return To Eden Place.
    A John Ross/Emma/Fallon trio would be awesome:)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    My wish would be for CBS to swoop in and steal the show from their corporate cousin, the CW and have it air in CBS primetime and get an even larger potential audience.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    That would basically just get the show pulled after one episode - I love the fact that it's on The CW as it can survive on meager ratings.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Seriously though why hasn't HBO or FX or some such network made a darker Douglas Sirk style remake of Peyton Place. They could touch on all the more sordid things from the source material and add all kinds of artistic/stylistic little bits. It would be amazing. A twisted look behind the glorious technicolor curtain of perfect 50's/60's America.
    All perfect facades masking crumbling ruined things.

I think it's time.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm too young to remember the original, so I don't know the answer to this: Did the original show share a continuity with another series on television?

14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,465
    It had a spin-off called THE COLBYS which had some overlap -- and it was less bad than the parent series in its two concurrent years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Alexis could go to Dallas to get assistance from her old 'friend' J.R., and this introduces the Ewings and Southfork/Ewing Oil for the remake. Or, Alexis flies to Tuscany Valley to get a favor from Angela or Richard.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +427
    @ABrown ....The best I can think of it is in a way akin to the two separate universes in Star Trek: Discovery (Season 1), which exist apart from each other on different timelines but have 'shared’ some of the same key characters – played by the same actors but as different people (in nature/occupation), albeit some of the counterparts share similar circumstances. These characters live a different life/story arc; but at some point(s) their lives/the story arcs co-mingle when the 2 universes rub shoulders in timelines, and the people meet up with the alternate universe and cross over. Eventually, the universes go their separate ways with endings & new beginnings. (And who knows what next is to come.) The difference is that on Star Trek: Discovery, it all happens within the one series.

Edited to add: I forgot to say that S2 of Star Trek: Discovery is said to be offering an alternate ending to its S1. I’m looking forward to seeing how that might compare with Dynasty Season 9 as a season of alternate story-telling (which I believe the latter is, but for a different reason than Star Trek: Discovery’s). I've never seen D.S9 as continuing the stories of The Colbys series.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  17. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +545
    In addressing the original question that CW could possibly "spin-off" more classic shows, I'd have to say I wouldn't mind seeing a rebooted Falcon Crest. I've yet to finish the original (I'm finishing one show at a time), but I would like to see what CW would do with it. If it didn't work, guess what? I didn't work and I'll still have the original to enjoy.

I think CW would be a good one to redo Paper Dolls, even though I've never seen the original. Imagine a cast of would-be prime time beauties and heartthrobs trying to make their way in New York's uptown fashion industry. That sounds a lot like, well, the original show, doesn't it? Of course, and it isn't like casting producers wouldn't have a host of pretty faces to choose from these days.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    I want a fictional talk show for Sammy Jo and then he should become more popular than Ellen.
    His first guest would be Fallon, I suppose.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG] upload_2018-6-15_22-31-2.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    Or Blake could give Steven and Sammy Jo a big ship for their wedding and then their spin-off would be THE DREAMBOAT.
    Guest star Alexis would secretly try to use their boat to smuggle East-European aspirant Uber-guys into the country. For lots of money, of course.

• Funny Funny x 2