Coronation Street Corrie

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    Alya is starting to do my head in. Didn’t bother with Rana when alive but sending texts proclaiming to be her saviour in death.

Imran is also highly annoying. Not as annoying as Leanne but no one is.

I also can’t believe Chesney is staying with Gemma. She is no longer entertaining.

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,747
    I was shocked when it was revealed Rana was behind it all. I really thought it would be something Beth would do.

3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    @Ome Rana was behind it?!? :loon::eyes:

4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    I like Peter calling the other Connors out on their neglect of Carla.

Michelle blaming Peter was a new low even for her, isn’t she supposed to be her best mate! Peter has no obligation to Carla and it’s to his credit that he’s standing by her.

I’m getting sick of the Connors (except for Jenny and Carla) the whole family needs to be written out, now Rana’s gone I can’t see where Kate can go as a character, and Jonny I hasn’t got that much of a presence, and I sincerely hope Michelle stays away, and I mean away away, so far away, like so far that she’s gone to a different planet in another solar system in another galaxy in another universe.

Not entirely sure why Ali and Ryan are still around either.

5. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    I agree @ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 - time for Michelle to go now. There is nothing for her to do - to me she always was just a story filler but it's worse than it ever was. She treated Carla terribly and now suddenly has done a U turn on her behaviour. Kate is dreadful, not a good actress at all. Painful to watch actually. Totally echo your sentiments on Michelle and I'm pleased that to now I have proven right about her background, sorry but being a pop star does not an actress make. Ali and Ryan are stocking fillers too. So many useless and unnecessary characters on the show at the minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    For me, Carla could start a new family outside of the Connors, I like most viewers never get bored of her, Carla is also a good “bridge” character, she connects many other characters together.

Jenny is another favourite of mine, I’m glad they changed from being a victim to a comical character who occasionally deals with hardship, she’s truly Rita’s adopted daughter, Jenny I could see being a sort of mother figure to teens (aged 14-17) Jonny doesn’t deserve her in my opinion.

Corrie has got some things right and so much wrong at the same time

7. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    Carla is by far my favourite on Corrie, along with Rita. She's fabulous and I'd be gutted if she left. I'm not a fan of Jenny, find her nasty and waspy and generally irritating. But I agree, there is so much right and so very much wrong at the minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,852
    Medals:
    I havent watched Corrie in about a year but doing nothing last night and thought Id tune in to see if it had got better

sad to say I thought it was dire

Gemma - cant act for toffee but i think im a great actress - and Chesney was plain embarassing, badly acted, fake, false contrived and not remotely funny re pub and caravan. Pity it didnt roll off a cliff

Sinead - hasnt yet signed up for any acting lessons and still sounds like Minnie Mouse on helium with bad sinus problems

Gary - yet another believable plot line - Not - gave up on second half

And Eileen - just how many lodgers does she have in her 2 up 2 down terrace? No idea who the foreign guy is but i bet he will end up in her bed, surprise surprise, or run of with Liz

see you in another year but might need to pop back when Norris returns, he was a reson to watch but there was precious little last night to tempt me back

oh and see Saw Phee will need to leave as looking at OK mag in the hairdressers she is "with child or up the duff"

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +464
    I think the problem is they think Gemma is comedy gold and funny. The comedy on the show is painful to watch. I could just about put up with Gemma as we had the brilliant Alison King in other scenes. However this week has been too Gemma central for me. It is a real shame this is happening. MacLeod has got to go sadly.

I wonder what Kate Oates thinks? I imagine she is too busy at Elstree to wonder. None of the soaps were brilliant last tonight but Corrie was certainly in 3rd spot in terms of quality and content. It is hard to see the Daddy and most important of all soaps in this state. Sad times.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +464
    This is the main problem with the show:-

[​IMG]

11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,747
    I remember reading that Corrie was getting panned for being too dark and that MacLeod was going to start to bring some much-needed comedy onto the cobbles.

Looks like he kept his word, only he's proved that he has no idea what comedy is going by what we're getting. Yes, there are still some brilliant comedy moments, however, these usually involved Claudia, Evelyn, Mary, Tim, Jenny, David and the lovely Emma.

The real problem is characters like Dev, Sean, Kirk, Tyrone, Fiz, Beth and Craig are not working in the same way because the actors can't bring that element out onto the screen.

Gemma was comedy gold, to begin with, but now it's gone beyond overkill, they really need to scale her right back. It doesn't help that she's now paired with Chesney, she was so much better with Rita.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,747
    It was soooo great to see Arlene and Nancy Tinker back, I could happily swap these two characters for Sinead & Beth

13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    I actually find Gemma so disgusting now. She clearly has problems, including an alcohol one. Can't believe Eileen is allowing that man into her house. How much room does she have??!

14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,747
    I don't find her disgusting. Over the top yeah, but not disgusting.

Disgusting to me is what I have seen on a C5 documentary called LIFE ON THE DOLE.

While there are plenty of genuine people out there, the show tends to find some of the most shocking families. One woman was carrying her 12 weeks (I think) and while this baby was in her arms she was smoking a cigarette. It was hanging out of her mouth while she was talking about struggling on benefits.

Another family had what I think was about 9 months old baby and they opened the baby's milk bottle and poured coke into it. The baby then went on to drink the coke. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I really don't see much of a difference between Gemma & Eddie Windass, who often had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while cooking. Just like Hilda & Vera in the old Corrie episodes.

I do think the way they portrayed Eddie Windass was much funnier than the way they are going with Gemma. It's more stupidity with Gemma and completely contrived. It just doesn't come across as natural with her and that's the problem I have.

15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    You see you think she isn't disgusting @Ome and then bring up Eddie Windass who I couldn't eat my dinner in front of because he was always farting and smoking. He absolutely turned my stomach.

16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,747
    Hmm, that's quite a contradiction, even more so because I forgot about him farting.

So... Would you say he was a much better example of disgusting ?

17. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    Oh my God yes. He's above disgusting.

He's TURNFUL.

upload_2019-4-23_16-9-18.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,747
    Quite a different role from THE FULL MONTY

1.jpg

I'd like to see Eddie back along with Teresa Bryant

2.png

19. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,991
    Medals:
    Thanks @Ome - all the memories are flooding back and I can only picture that stupid little half cigarette thing he used to carry.

I'm off to boke.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Personally I think all the soaps are in a bizarre place right now.

Nothing seems to fit, I’ve been rewatching selected episodes of all the main soaps from the 80s to the 00s and back then, it was all character driven, solid characters not the joke characters of today.

Corrie needs another axe man to completely clean house; Fiz, Tyrone, Gemma, Chesney, Faye, Seb, Gary, The Connors (except Carla & Jenny) Maria, Kirk, Dev and Eileen need to be gone years ago.

In any other soap Fiz & Tyrone would have packed off to their mothership on planet Mars in the late 00s

The main families: The Barlow’s, The Platt-Tilsley’s and the Webster’s need to remain fore front and centre.

Carla is so versatile that she could be put into any situation, and never get bored.

Jenny & Rita need to be a double act, as do Tracy and Mary

Tracy and Steve are the new dysfunctional but loving couple in the vein of Stan & Hilda and Jack & Vera.

Corrie, and all other soaps just seem all so unfamiliar at the moment.

• Like Like x 1