1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coronation Street Corrie actor sacked from soap after a racist Twitter attack

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Coronation Street actor Marc Anwar, known for playing Sharif Nazir, has been sacked from soap after a racist Twitter attack

[​IMG]

Coronation Street star Marc Anwar has been sacked from the soap for alleged "racially offensive" tweets about Indian people.

The Pakistan-born actor, who joined the show in 2014 to play the role of Sharif Nazir, was dismissed after ITV was alerted to the posts by the Sunday Mirror.

The alleged tweets from Anwar's protected account, published by the newspaper, were critical of India over the disputed Kashmir region and called on Pakistani actors to stop working in the country.

The tweets also referred to Indian people as "b*******" and "p***-drinking c****".

His comments come amid heightened tensions between India and Pakistan over the divided Himalayan territory, following deadly attacks by militants.

ITV said in a statement: "We are deeply shocked by the entirely unacceptable, racially offensive comments made on Twitter by Marc Anwar.

"We have talked to Marc and, as a consequence of his comments, he will not be returning to Coronation Street with immediate effect."

The 45-year-old has also appeared in Hollywood films, including Captain Phillips and 51st State.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +771
    OMG :eek: Can't believe he is only 45 years old.

I would have expected mid to late 50s.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Yes, that was quite a shock, especially when he has a grandson the age of Zeedan

I wonder if they will kill him off, or have him run away with Sonia

• Like Like x 1
  4. Englishboy

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +771
    Indeed.

It would also make him just 1 years of age when Jasmine gave birth to Khalid (jimi Mistry) who was born in 1973 lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,179
    He can leave and take his rather dull family (who cant act for toffee) with him, except Zeedan
    They are so boring ever since their son died, who was the most intersting member of family
    also surprised at his age - i had him down as pushing 60.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    If he's 45 my arse is parsley as we say in NI!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Englishboy

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +771
    It seems that there was an error in the original report and that he is in fact 55 years old.

That's more like it lol

Agree with the others that I don't particularly care for this character.

Also notice from more recent episodes that the inside of their house appears to have been given a Corrie makeover without any builders / decorators in sight. lol

8. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    I checked a few news sites to see if his age was really 45 and the ones I found had him down for 45.
    Somewhat different from Ashley & Claire's stairs swapping sides of the room, but the new look Nazirs looks much bigger than it was when the Armstrongs lived there lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Gosh, he's worse than Victoria Principal

• Like Like x 4
  11. LouiseP

LouiseP Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +89
    His bit on the side is so excited, she said, about the new flat. It hasn't even been started yet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    lol lol lol

13. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Marc Anwar hits out at Coronation Street bosses for sacking him from the show

Sacked Coronation Street star Marc Anwar has once again sparked controversy, this time hitting out at the show's bosses.

Last weekend, the actor was dropped from the show over a series of racially offensive messages from his Twitter account, and has since apologised.

However, he has now suggested that bosses had a "personal agenda" by booting him off in response to a fan who argued that his apology should have been enough.

"Sorry is never enough for those that have personal agenda, I have no personal agenda. Peace," he wrote.

He added of his original comments: "A week ago in anger, frustration, used language unacceptable apologised to my indian brothers and sisters, Atrocities still continue. Sad.

"Those ‪#Indians who feel I insulted them please tell me, or ask yourself your brothers and sisters dying, what would you do. It wasn't you."

Greater Manchester Police confirmed it received a report of hate crime after the racist comments last Sunday (September 25).

In his original rant, Marc, who was born in Pakistan, branded Indians "b*****ds" and "p**s-drinking c**ts".

The remarks came days after 17 soldiers were killed at a Kashmir airbase, which caused fresh tensions between India and Pakistan.

He later released a video apologising for his actions, and said he had lost his temper in a "moment of madness".