1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Coronation Street to run 6 times a week from September *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Sarah, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/e...six-times-a-week-from-september-36106592.html

Coronation Street will this month extend its weekly line-up from five episodes to six by broadcasting a double bill on Wednesdays.

The first extra show will air on September 20 at 8.30pm, fittingly marking the occasion with the double wedding of Aidan and Eva, and Jenny and Johnny.

But in traditional soap nuptials style, not everything will go to plan, with Aidan Connor (Shayne Ward) confessing his affair with Maria to fiancee Eva Price (Catherine Tyldesley) on the big day.

Plans will also go awry for Jenny Bradley (Sally Ann Matthews) and Johnny Connor (Richard Hawley) when ailing Rita’s health takes a turn for the worse, forcing them to pause their plans and rush to the hospital.

Plans to extend the ITV soap’s billing were announced last year, but an official date was not confirmed.

Bethany Platt’s harrowing grooming storyline will also continue through autumn as the teenager (Lucy Fallon) faces the trial of her abuser Nathan Curtis (Chris Harper).

“We are going to see if she makes it to court,” said Oates.

“It’s a huge deal for a girl in her position to face.

“We still have the issue of Nathan’s friend, Mel, who he had brain-washed, who will try to stop Bethany going to court.”

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,949
    Medals:
    Too much Corrie Im afraid - and the quality of writing and in some cases acting has left a lot to be desired, and some of the plots just get sillier

Id rather have 1 epiosde on a mon/wed and friday - thats enough, its over kill to have it on x 6/ week and the ratings are falling

Once upon a time it was compulsive viewing for me and would tape if i was out or watch on iplayer
    Now i dont bother!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Too much soap on itv. Where is the variety of shows we once had?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,813
    Medals:
    ITV are only interested in chasing ratings and another episode of Corrie is a safe, if unimaginative, bet in their eyes.

I'm not a huge fan of ITV's output but it's a shame that viewers will be deprived of other programmes just to make way for more Corrie. Give or take, it works out at roughly 26 hours of ITV schedule time that could be better used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Santa Englishboy

Santa Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Medals:
    I think I'd rather the extra episode air on a Sunday - traditionally a weak night for tv viewing.

I used to love my fix of Sunday Corrie back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    I don't like the break in the scheduling - on Monday the way we have to wait half an hour until whatever it is is over before tuning back in. I'd prefer just a straight one hour run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Medals:
    Three double bills a week is horrible scheduling. It's not as if ITV haven't the space in their line up to spread out the episodes across the week. Also, there doesn't seem to be any reason for a half hour break on Wednesdays as there is no 8pm clash with EastEnders.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,949
    Medals:
    so did i, early bath and curled up in dressing gown on a long winters night.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,949
    Medals:
    i agree, Reality TV is cheap ( personally i avoid like the plague) and its nice when a drama like Unforgotten, Broadchurch etc come along rather than the endless dross of tacky, cheap and i want my 15 mins of fame telly

Where are the jewels in the crown, Auf wiedersehen pet, prime Suspect, morses etc ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I agree, there is only a handful now I can think of, like Endeavour and Vera, although I must admit I did enjoy the Durrells. Where are the sit com's?

11. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I'm not keen on the double bills of Coronation Street, it seems to much soap, it would be better to spread it out and have 1 episode each night, either at 7.30pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 8.00pm Tuesday and Thursday. Emmerdale could still be on 7.00pm Monday-Friday. I am surprised itv have not done this, it would lift their flagging Tuesday scehdule and at the same time dent the BBC's Holby City.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1