1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

Coronation Street Coronation street in the future

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by soapfan, Mar 12, 2020.

1. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    • If/When Ken Barlow eventually leaves, a HUGE chunk of the shows past will be gone from 1960 present, and so, to accommodate for his loss, having Dennis Tanner, Linda Cheveski and/or Susan Cunningham from day 1 in terms of that first episode on 9 December 1960. Dennis Tanner would be Rita's ex-husband (Rita as explained below in more detail).

• Chris Gascoyne/Kate Ford made the part(s) of Peter Barlow/Tracy Barlow their own during the last 20 years.

• Rita Sullivan/Barbara Knox - Because of the character's longevity and how "The Kabin" has been a focal point as a facet and the Rita character, then, without the character eventually, The Kabin would no longer be the same without Rita (knowing how the factory was after the Baldwins, The Kabin may possibly continue a new owner or something).

• The Platts? - Sarah would continue AFTER Gail in a sort of matriarchal role similar to Gail/Audrey, maybe Bethany/Lucy Fallon could return within the next decade at some stage as the daughter of Sarah and aspects of younger Gail/Audrey into one character for the next generation. OR failing that, David would continue AFTER Gail in a sort of patriarchal role similar to Martin/Alf.

• The Websters? - Sophie would continue AFTER Sally in again a sort of parental role similar to Kevin/Sally, maybe Rosie could return within the next decade at some stage as similar sibling Sally/Gina and aspects of Kevin/Sally into a dynfunctional family for the next generation be it a son/daughter/niece/nephew similar to how Ken Barlow had the wayward Adam and Linus Roache grandsons.

• The return of Aidan Critchley as a grown man, he could a new badboy/alpha male as a grown man this time around, same actor as last time when Ken assaulted him in 2003 and the history with Sarah-Lou?

• Returns of Jim McDonald AND Alan McKenna FULL-TIME regulars (as explained in a previous thread) - Steve "Flaming/Flipping" McDonald would be axed altogether as the actor who plays him is absolutely dreadful and the character should've been killed off in 2000 with the Jez Quigley stuff. There's already the Fiona history with Jim/Alan/Steve, so it could work.

• Maybe the return of a 1991 character also.

2. cobbles

cobbles Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Month

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It'll be interesting too see what happens when Ken goes.

If you have a flip through 1960s characters were pretty much out of ones that can be used realistically (as expected 60 years later.)

It'd be nice to retain a link to the 60s even after Ken goes (on which note as an aside I really hope they pay anyone and everyone who has ever been on Coronation Street and had links with Ken whose character wasn't killed off to come back) Of the characters whose actors are still alive from the first 5 years of the show....

Ivan Cheveski - it would be bizarre to bring him back given he split up with Linda decades ago - and at 93 Ernst Walder ain't going to be on a 6 day a week schedule.
    Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire has essentially retired
    Anne Reid's Val Barlow was killed off
    Angela Crow's - Doreen Lostock was hardly an interesting character worth bringing back
    Billy Walker - would be interesting to bring back - perhaps wanting to buy up the rovers to see out his dotage, but the reality was if Kenneth Farrington wanted to come back he'd have probably found a date in the past 36 years to do so.
    Dennis Tanner - supposedly killed of in Ep 10,000 but no actual death was seen; knowing he's a conman it could be a con but given his treatment last return I doubt Lowrie would be jumping off the sofa to return.
    David Barlow - Alan Rothwell still lives. I'd love a storyline where he turned out to have faked his own death as it might give Ken a really cool storyline but many would like call that far-fetched nonsense.
    Linda Cheveski - recently mentioned, still alive. Would be nice to see her swing back but with Elsie dead and Ken dead, it's hard to see what reason she'd have to come back.
    Myra Booth - Susan Jameson is alive but nobody who wasn't alive back then will have heard of her.
    Sheila Birtles - Meyers is alive but after 45 years it would be bizzarre
    Sandra Gough - It would be bizzarre to bring Irma Barlow/Ogden back without a really good reason - almost all the characters she knew when she was about are dead or disappeared so not sure why you'd bring her back.
    Kenneth Cope as Jed Stone would be the most likely but again barely anyone he had contact with is still around.

Everyone else of any note from the 60-65 cast the actor is dead (excepting kids like Peter Barlow who have either been reinvented or would make no sense to bring back such as Stanley Fairclough - although you could have him tracking Rita down - god knows why though given Len's been dead 30 odd years)

William Roache is still in it - and will be until he goes himself - but with the greatest respect and wishing of good health to Bill - he's 88 - not many actors have stayed on the street into their 90s (Betty Driver is the only one I can think off off the top of my head)....

The future of Corrie lies in strengthening the role of the next gen - turning Gail Platt more grandmotherly than motherly might be a start. (I'd personally kill of Audrey to achieve this but appreciate many would have differing views.)

3. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The actresses who play both characters are only 12 years apart from each other (1943 and 1951) as the mother/daughter duo, so it wouldn't be much different if retaining Audrey ahead of Gail. I think the phrase "mutton dressed as lamb" is the point you're getting at and trying to imply when referring to both characters!

4. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've noticed also that the soap is becoming more about the Viaduct Street nowadays, where Nick's Bistro is (Nick Tilsley is the son/grandson of Gail/Audrey), and the soap becoming less about the main street that the soap is titled.

5. cobbles

cobbles Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Month

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Not even that big a gap, Helen Worth is 69 and Sue Nicholl's is 76 so that's just 7 years.

Gail is the more significant heritage character though. She's had more significant storylines and been around as a regular longer, so I'd definitely keep her over Audrey. Helen Worth also seems very much like one of those actresses who will either die in the show or retire very late in life. I'd have killed Audrey off years ago but I really think know might be about the time to do it, the character was supposed to be born in 1940 which makes her 80 (or the same age as Ken, played by an 88 year old).

Sue Nicholl's seems very much a corrie life so *wishing her all the good health in the world* if she sticks around to her late 80s her character would be 97..... unbelievably old for a coronation street character to be and would be difficult to portray on screen.

It's being more about surrounding streets is just a natural part of it being on so much more, they need to use more sets etc.