Coronation Street disasters (contains spoilers)

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Sarah, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,265
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47538101

From tram crashes to motel fires, the disaster plotline is a soap opera staple.

Next week, tragedy will strike the residents of ITV's Coronation Street, as the roof of the Underworld textiles factory collapses, leaving Sally Metcalfe (Sally Dynevor) and Gina Seddon (Connie Hyde) trapped in the rubble.

Corrie bosses have teased that one character will die as a result of the collapse, which looks likely to be down to sabotage.

It's not the first time such trouble has come to the cobbles of Weatherfield.

If it existed outside Soapland, health and safety officials would likely have closed the Underworld factory years ago.

David Brown, deputy TV editor for the Radio Times, says of the location: "Underworld is massively dangerous. It's just completely cursed.

"Over the years, we've had people falling down the stairs and dying, a body buried under the floor, a siege on the premises and the whole place being engulfed by fire.

"You'd probably get cheaper life insurance working as a bomb disposal officer than you would working as a machinist at Underworld and yet still people turn up to stitch knickers there day in day out."

2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,264
    Medals:
    Oh my - there's even a mention for Dynasty in the article!

While I haven't watched a lot of these disaster storylines, I don't have a problem with smaller scale stuff. In fact I'd probably prefer it most of the time. The article pooh-poohs the collapsing helter skelter in EastEnders, but I find that idea far more relatable than the obligatory Final Destination-esque annual spectacles.

3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,265
    Medals:
    Oh God is there? Had I known that.....:D

Yes there are too many disasters. This is why I get so defensive over Dallas - at least everything wasn't OTT all the time. But the UK soaps have a disaster at least once every six months and then they all copy each other.

4. Ollie james

Ollie james Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    When i read Corrie disaster i thought they had announced new contracts for Gemma,Seb and Sean :fp::fp: