1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coronation Street classic episodes are coming to ITV3 next month

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Rejoice, fans of consistently suffering people with Northern accents! ITV is bringing classic episodes of Coronation Street to spin-off channel ITV3 from next month.

Starting on October 2, the broadcaster will be playing two episodes of the long-running soap every weekday, at 2.40pm and 3.15pm. Basically, when you should be going to pick the kids up from school. Thank God for catch-up and recording, eh?

We won't be going right back to the start though, 'Classic Corrie' will be digging up episodes from 1986 onwards, starting with the debut of legendary soap baddie Alan Bradley.

While Alan bit the bucket in 1989, two characters closely related to him are still in the show and had important stories as recently as... tonight, actually.

Jenny, who is marrying Johnny today, is Alan's daughter, while Rita, who is currently in hospital with a brain tumour, was the woman that Alan, errr, tried to murder multiple times.

What a shame they are starting from 1986, though I'm not going to grumble too much, this should have happened years ago.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Thanks x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    This has been a long time coming for Corrie fans so I'm thinking "better late than never".

Starting with 1986 means we still get to see the earlier days of Bet's imperial phase as landlady of the Rovers. Plus we get the tail end of Hilda Ogden's tenure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Yes and now that's its sunk in with me, I'm really excited over having the chance to watch them all again.

Instead of feeling happy they are doing this, I was thinking about the earlier years with Ivy & Bert, Stan & Hilda. I'm now telling myself that I shouldn't be too greedy.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    How could I have forgotten Ivy! It'll be great to see her locking horns with Gail again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,506
    Gosh that's over 500 episodes a year. Since Corrie had 106 annual episodes in 1986 they'll fly through those first few years.

Given the direction in which it's heading, ten episodes per week is a taste of the kind of output real-time Corrie could end up with.

As I recall, when Granada Plus began they aired Corrie episodes from 1976 onwards, which was a really nice starting point as it had the return of Elsie Tanner after a long absence. There were still some characters from the very early days left in the show so it gave the audience a taste of the history while still feeling modern and familiar.

I did wonder if this run was picking up where those episodes left off, but on checking it seems Granada Plus got up to 1994 episodes so there'll be some overlap. Not that it matters too much, I suppose, as it's almost a decade and a half since they ended that run.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Adamski

Adamski Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Am so excited about this - I was 10 in 1986 and was gripped by the Rita/Alan Bradley storyline so it will be good to see it again. I do recall it being a slow burn story, and how shocking it was when Alan posed as Len Fairclough in order to get a mortgage or something.

And YES to seeing Ivy in action again!

Am I reading too much into it, or could they be launching these repeats with a Rita-heavy era to coincide with her possibly leaving the show?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    I hope it is just a case of reading too much into it. If she is leaving, it's odd that there hasn't been an official announcement.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    Noooooooooooo Rita can't leave!!!! :(:(:(:confused::(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    I thought they might have chosen 1986 as it was a good starting point to make the repeats appealing to current Corrie fans. 1986 was the year both Sally and Jenny debuted, Rita was involved in the beginning of a massive storyline, Gail was on the verge of another marriage fiasco. Also, if they continue with the two episodes a day, it'll only be a matter of time before the McDonald's show up. If they'd gone back a few years earlier, there'd be a lot of characters that newer fans wouldn't know, so there may not be as much interest.

We could well be just reading too much into it though. They could be starting with 1986 for rights reasons for all we know.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803

Yes, well thought out.

Well, if that's the case, I like your way of thinking :D

11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    Now that is good news, look forwards to classic Corrie

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    I'm also quite excited about having a thread dedicated to Classic Corrie so we can discuss the episodes for the first time, even though many of us have watched them before.

:yeah:

13. Adamski

Adamski Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I think you could be on to something! It will be fascinating to see teenage Jenny again. And I'm gagging to see Sarah's paternity drama too.

I'd love that, but am already worried about not being able to keep up, haha.

I hear you, but Barbara Knox is 83. Maybe with the show going to six episodes a week she has decided to retire while she can still enjoy it? I guess we'll see...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Thinking about this I reckon we will all be at different points, I know from my perspective I won't be watching two episodes a day, it will be as and when and probably more on weekends.

Still, it should be fun chatting about that era and having the episodes out there for us to feast upon, even if we only jump in at weekends or every few days.

I'm intrigued by how I will view it because I've not seen any old classic episodes since Granada Plus stopped airing them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +647
    And Granada Plus was abruptly taken off air to make way for ITV 3, so it has only taken 13 years for them to add one of the soaps back to the schedule.

I'm hoping it will be a success, just so they'll hopefully add Emmerdale - though goodness where they'd start there.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    I'd love to see the whole Tate story, so if they do this, I hope it starts from before they arrived.

I also loved the early years with the Dingles, they were a brilliant addition to the show, it's just a shame they expanded like they did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    The Tates arrival would be a good starting point as it coincided with the title change I believe.

Looking back at the older Emmerdale episodes, they haven't really managed to hang on to legacy characters in the same way as the other soaps. Except for Eric & the Sugden kids, it was the mid to late 90's when most of their current long running characters arrived. Even though they're gone now, watching the Tates would be an attractive proposition given that Kim was such a powerhouse.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    '''''''
    Ratings:
    +489
    Bit sad it is not starting in the 60's, as i recal CS struggled a bit from 1985-1989 with the dawn of EastEnders. It will be interesting to see what the episodes are like.

19. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Yes, but I've gotten over that now and I'm just thrilled we are going back.

Carrie made some great points about the timing here

I know Teen Ome watches Corrie with us and if we started with the 60s, I fear she would simply do something, but to start mid-80s she will see quite a lot of the regular characters in it now.

20. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,803
    Come here there's more

[​IMG]

Just imagine watching a Corrie without

Sean
    Sinead
    Chesney
    Michelle