Cole's Valley exit

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Chloe-Fusco, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Medals:
    Unlike so many of the others Cole's exit wasn't the kill off scenario, which was refreshing at the time. The show did go overboard with characters getting the door of death but I guess it was a trait. It was all very emotional as the family gathered to see Cole off on his boat, for pastures new. How did you feel about his departure?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,060
    I'm glad he wasn't killed off, but he leaves in the middle of the worst crisis his family faced (Maggie's rape and subsequent pregnancy). Seems yo be sm odd time for him to hit the rosf.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,374
    Medals:
    I maybe wrong but didn't they originally consider killing off Cole? I think his boat was going to crash but they changed their minds and decided to leave the door open for the character to return.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    You are right Mrs. Channing. Moses was unhappy with his character, wanted to quit and the writers tried to apply the "producers´ revenge" (a symbolic termination of said character). He negotiated with them and, after they considered what you said, getting lost in the sea, and maybe drawn or not, they opted for the Australia thingie, which was clearly convenient (for Lorimar, as usual, since they probably thought that Moses might come back asking for his old job, which didn´t happen).

It was very untimely, but I was glad he wasn´t killed (like most of the original characters). They should have found a middle ground and maybe made him a little darker. After all, that´s what Tuscany Valley did to all the other characters...Moses played dark very well in "Melrose Place", by the way...

upload_2019-10-16_22-21-51.jpeg

"Oh no, fake Vickie, I can´t go to Mama´s funeral either.
    I didn´t attend Daddy´s or Melissa´s and nothing happened so..." ​

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,791
    Medals:
    I was very unhappy they wrote him out, but he was wise to leave when he did. I'm also glad they didn't kill him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    Medals:
    At least we saw him again later, when Melissa visited him in Australia.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +118
    And he's now well-aged in Philadelphia, trying to stop others teaching How to get away with Murder...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    Medals:
    Cole's departure was indeed a deviation from the norm, as was Julia's finale. Both departed the Tuscany Valley, in a relatively low key way. Now getting back to Cole's cheerio it was a bit mundane, compared to the exits of his grandmother (in spring 1983); his wife (in spring 1984); his aunt (in spring 1986), his father (in spring 1987), his ex wife (in autumn 1988) and his mother (in autumn 1989). What the actor wants isn't always what he or she gets, particularly when it was their decision to leave but his negotiating skills must have been top notch.

Two important announcements are being made, in the Gioberti castle. One of the announcements directly involves Maggie and is connected to what happened in season 5. The other declaration is from Cole. He tells Maggie, Vicki and Chase that he is leaving the Valley but could he return some day, (a scene from season 6, 1986 - '87):

Cole: "Alright come on, come on!"

Chase: "What is the big secret?"

Vicki: "Yeah spill it bro!"

Cole: "We're gonna need mom."

Maggie: "I'm right here. Look I'd like to talk to you all."

Vicki: "Well take a number mom. Cole has got a big announcement."

Cole takes the wrap off a model boat, with two champagne bottles in it.

Cole: "I want you all to join me in celebration because in ten days time my boat and I have a date with the Pacific. I'm sailing to Australia; where I've been asked to be a permanent partner, in a new wine venture. I'm going to miss you all very much and it's going to be hard for me but this is something I have to do."

He then gets the bubbly flowing. They all raise their glasses. "Cheers!" he says.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Medals:
    The use of Maggie's Theme as he sailed away was a nice touch. It was the first time the theme was used, from my recollection. Cole even managed to bury the hatchet with Lance before he left, which would have been unthinkable a couple of years prior.

10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Actually the first time happens in the same episode titled "Maggie", when she reads the abortion-themed poem in presence of Cole too. A beautiful composition for one of the best characters of the show, sometimes underrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +991
    Medals:
    Cole's goodbye to the wine valley was appropriate for his character, if a little uneventful. Although I was glad he didn't join the list of the dead. Julia should have went out in a blaze of glory. They should have her come back from the convent in season 8 and have her perish in the FC fire together with Melissa. Or would Julia have got to another tunnel in time, like what happened in the springhouse?