Colbys - aEpilogue

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by AndyLaird, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    A happy new year to all.

You're right, GD. Spiro only said he was half Greek. He didn’t say he was a part Greek, nor did he say he was the quarter-Greek offspring of half Greek parents. Lol.
    But since he was a Koralis and that was also the name of his father’s family shipping business, I assumed Papa had been the full Greek parent. I still think that's the more logical situation.

Edited further to add: Spiro's mother never actually inherited her husband's family business. She received it to hold in trust for their son. If she was an heiress in her own right, with money from her own family, then nothing was said of that; nor did Spiro have a dispute with Zack over 'her' money. His dispute with Zack was over his mother not honouring his father's wishes that Spiro inherit the business when he came of age.

The reason for those changes would have been an interesting question to have put to Paul Huson. A missed opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    In "Fallon's choice", Garrett says to Jason that it is Zach's first wife who died in a yacht accident. So that's Spiro's mother.
    Now, why Spiro is called Koralis if his father was not greek, that's a mystery. Maybe he took the name of his mother ?

I do not remember anything about a trust and I just finished to rewatch the first season. Spiro just says that he inherited some shares of Koralis Shipping/Powers Shipping from his mother but he thought he should have it all. And he is really pissed about the fact that his mother died under strange circumstances.

I do not like the fact that the writers created Spiro just to change their original storyline. Of course, Zach was supposed to be behind Livadas and Mahoney's murder but the guilt was eventually "given" to Spiro.

3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I only vaguely recall Garret reporting on Zack to Jason, and Jason reading a report and exclaiming over the amount of money Zack inherited from his wife. I don't recall that the woman was identified either way, first wife or second, but that's just my memory, and it could be wrong.

True, Spiro's mother died at sea; but, recall that TC often had twinning themes, and this could have been one of those times.

Also, if Jason knew that Zack's first wife died in a yacht accident, then to whom was Jason referring when he told Sable that Zack had had his wife killed (without identifying whether it was wife #1 or #2 or even the circumstances, such as location)? Did he mean Spiro's mother or not? If he meant Spiro's mother, and if she was indeed the first wife who Jason was told had died in a yacht accident, as you say, then what has made Jason now believe that same woman was murdered?

True, Spiro accused Zack of killing his mother, of manipulating her, etc, but he never repeated those accusations to anyone else on screen. Apart from Bliss, and that one-time meeting-in-passing with Jason (who knew he was Zack's step-son on sight), Spiro had no interactions with the Colbys.

IIRC, the name of Spiro's father's family business was Koralis Shipping. (Before Zack changed the name.) What you are suggesting is that Spiro's Papa's family business had the name of Spiro's Mama. I can understand a man who names a business he founded after his wife, but I can't imagine how that could be if the business was one he'd inherited. Of course, we can't rule out the phenomena of fact being stranger than fiction and have the case where a man meets a woman who shares the same name as his family business. :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,521
    Medals:
    I could imagine that he married his first (Greek) wife when he was very young, and still poor.
    To be honest I had never really noticed the reference to the first wife. I guess...maybe...he already considered Sable to be his second wife.
    Or maybe "first" (and "ex") sounds catchier than "deceased".

5. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I am sure of that one, Garrett says "first wife". Just like Zach speaks of his "first wife who was greek" in "Moment of truth".

I am less sure of that one, I must check in, but I still believe that the money came from Mrs. Koralis, not Mr. So if I'm right, he had a reason to take his wife's name.

That's a nice way to fix the problem ! :)

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,521
    Medals:
    Another possibility: Spiro took his mother's name (for reasons that should have been explored in season 3 i.e. Mrs Powers' mysterious death - oh, if only!)
    And who is the father? Lucas Carter?
    Because he knows something that we don't know? Again, this could have been one of season 3's main storylines. Jason and Zack needed a new battle anyway, and what Jason thinks he knows isn't necessarily true.

What happened that fateful night, on that luxurious yacht? Whose name was on the guest list....and whose name wasn't?

I think the real killer was
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

7. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I think Zach killed his wife, maybe accidentally, and he made Caress take the blame for him.

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,521
    Medals:
    But that was already insinuated, and indeed it made us think "is Zach capable of first-degree murder?", but I think that story needs a massive twist. And of course they should have stolen Caress away from Dynasty:D

In case it was manslaughter then I'd even consider Spiros himself as the culprit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    With all this jogging of my memory, among what I can recall to confirm is:

In a very early scene between Zack & Jason, perhaps the conversation on the steps of a building, Zack said “my first wife was Greek”, and Jason responded that he didn’t know that.

In either that scene or another, Jason said he didn’t read the scandal sheets (in connection with Zack).

When Zack lunched with Sable that first time (after getting her very understanding architect outta the way), she told him she read all the scandal sheets, and knew that Zack had “married into money the first time around” (IIRC) and she mentioned the Greek shipping heiress. (At that time Spiro & his story were not in the picture.)

So, sorry to rehash the matter …

When Garret gave his report on Zack, it included suspicion of some shady business dealings but nothing that could be proved. I don’t recall any mention of suspicious deaths, murders etc. The main picture we got of Zack from the conversation was that he was a shady character who kept just on the right side of the law.

Reading the report, Jason whistled and made a point of letting us know how extremely wealthy Zack was as a result of what he’d inherited from his late wife.

Frankly, after what Sable said, I came to assume that much of Zack’s wealth talked about in the report scene came from the “married into money the first time around Greek shipping heiress woman”.

And, as I’ve previously posted, when Spiro & his story came along, I did not think him to be that woman’s son because his mother did not inherit her late husband’s shipping company & there was no mention that she was wealthy in her own right. That’s not to say she didn’t inherit a part of her late husband’s estate.

Honestly, the parts I can’t recall concerning all Garret’s reporting on Zack are:

(a) Garret expressly saying that the wife in the report was Zack’s “first” wife;

(b) Garret reporting that this wife had died in a yachting accident;

(c) I don’t remember there being any family info in this report which definitely made Spiro the son of the “wife” in this report.

Without that definite link in (c), I can’t see how anyone can conclude that this woman is Spiro’s mother simply because she died at sea, “in a yacht accident” as @GD says.

10. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Zack had 2 wives, both who, in my mind, could have died at sea, and whose deaths benefited him, in liquid and/or fixed assets. …That pesky twinning theme, repeated.

Likewise, Jason having a report on Zack was twinned by Jason having a report on Channing.

In similar vein, Spiro’s mother not honouring her previous husband’s wishes about their son inheriting his family business effectively twinned Jason saying to Sable: “My enemy has more honour than my wife.” (Because Zack refused to lie to the police to help Sable to frame you-know-who.)

In turn, that framing story twinned with this:
    Throw in Jason’s accusations (and Miles's, Monica's, Jeff’s & Cash’s) it’s little wonder why Zack was exasperated by it all: “There’s not enough hours in the day to do all this framing!”

May I compliment you on your twisty use of TC’s twinning theme GD. :)

If I understand you correctly:

Old Man Koralis was no Greek. (Just like Zack was not Greek.)

Old Man Koralis married a Greek shipping heiress and adopted her family name. (Similarly, Zack changed his name to Powers but not because of another human being; and he also married a Greek shipping heiress, not necessarily in that order.)

Old Man Koralis also renamed his family shipping business after his wife’s family name. (Similarly, Zack was to later change Old Man Koralis’s renamed shipping company and rename it after himself after his own name change.)

And – I don’t know if @GD agrees with this – if in Old Man Koralis’ day his own company wasn’t already a Greek shipping company when he married, then it soon became one – by osmosis of marriage if not by other means. A Greek shipping company. Headquartered in Athens and known to all as Koralis Shipping, even to all old-timer taxi drivers. (Similarly, by the time of The Colbys, which is after the ‘departure’ of Zack’s wife/wives that company still stands in its old place, only renamed Powers Shipping, and now possibly a merged entity of other shipping assets.)

So that was how Old Man Koralis’s Greek shipping heiress wife became connected to two shipping companies! One of them by marriage. (Similarly, through marriage, Zack Powers was to become connected to two shipping companies – if he didn’t already have his own one under whatever name.)

Old Man Koralis and wife had a son, Spiro, who, naturally, was half-Greek – thanks, or no thanks, to Pappy.

But Spiro had the family name “Koralis” – not because he made a decision to take his mother’s name for unfathomable reasons but simply because Old Man Koralis had taken his wife’s name, according to @GD on second thought.

So that’s how Spiro, whose father wasn’t Greek but whose married mother was Greek, got to be born with a Greek family name, which he then kept.

Sadly, Pappy died when Spiro was considered too young/inexperienced to control & run his father’s company.

So Old Man Koralis’s shipping company was put in trust for Spiro. (But @GD is sceptical that this ever happened.)

Then Greek Shipping Heiress Mumsy married that Zakary Powers man, and they all lived….

Well, we don’t really know well they got on and for how long, except that as some point there was no more ‘trust’.

She’d given her late husband’s company to her present husband to run (and to own at some point), and Spiro became like a peon-with-shares in his late father’s company.

On the plus side, Spiro did get to head the New York office of Powers Shipping; a company which possibly might have been a bigger and merged entity than what existed when Old Man Koralis was alive.

Then came that parting of ways.

And then, for love of Sabella, and possibly with an eye to keeping his future step-children quiet, if not happy, with businesses they could run, Zack began to diversify from the shipping business. Thank you, Dominique!

But the mystery endures. Which Mrs Powers was Sprio’s mother, truly?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  11. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    If by wife, you mean Spiro's mother, then Zack got real lucky, escaping the long arms of the law so easily.... because, fact is, the police said her death was an accident.

Please remind me again, why would he have made Caress take the blame for him if the police weren't looking to prosecute anyone for her death? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    How magnanimous of Jason not to thump his chest, bellow at Sable to quit her “those stories are lies, vicious lies” admonishment and spit out what he’d learnt before she walked out the room the day she removed her wedding band & engagement ring.

13. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    This is a fraction of the bible for the second season. It mentions the rumour that Zach killed his first wife to gain control of her shipping fortune. To me that's Spiro's mother, unless Zach married a second woman involved in the shipping industry.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,521
    Medals:
    Any info about Mrs Powers #2?

15. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,329
    Medals:
    Her name was Stephanie. She was an actress.

dce13713360f6882f85aa00b6450c33b.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    No, unfortunately.

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,521
    Medals:
    Interesting, interesting...well I knew it wasn't Corrine Powers because she was a poor prison guard.

18. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I wonder exactly how much got lost in translation between the bible and the screen for the second season. Did Miles ever caution Sable against Zack that season?

19. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I'm rewatching the second season so I'll tell you. But the rest of Zach's story for this season was surely botched.
    In the bible, he was supposed to court Dominique in order to make Sable jealous and by the end of the season Monica was to find out about Zach's involvment in the San Miguel's oil spill so he had to prepare a hasty departure to Costa Rica in order to be safe from extradition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Was Spiro in the bible too? What was his background there?