Cher's Dancing Queen

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alexis, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    The first week sales for this have been huge. She's on track to reach 180, 000 already, with Closer To The Truth only managing 63,000 first week.
    It's a huge album for her. I wont be surprised if we get DANCING QUEEN volume 2.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,175
    Medals:
    Individual album tracks downloads are not singles.
    But this looks like a promotional CD-R single:
    upload_2018-9-30_16-8-14.png
    But it's not from the Dancing Queen album.

Yeah, maybe this isn't an out-and-out Cher album, but more like an album to promote the movie (and the movie promotes the album).

If Cher had done this album completely unrelated to the Mamma Mia! movie then I think it would have been a little different, with remixes to promote the album.
    And then there would be a deluxe edition featuring all those remixes.

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    Oh, It is an out and out Cher album. She had been recording on and off for about 2 years but she wasn't really feeling what she had been doing. There was no rush to it or excitement on her part. Then she was asked to do Mamma Mia 2 and had to do Fernando. She then enjoyed working with Benny and Bjorn, and started to really look into ABBA's music. She has said she had obviously been aware of them in the 1970s but hadn't properly explored their music. Anyways, she then on her own bat, just decided she wanted to do an ABBA cover album. The album is not really linked to the film. It's not a soundtrack, she only does one song in the film herself. And none of these other Cher/ABBA songs feature in the film. So her release was planned. It just took a very different turn when she decided to do Mamma Mia.

This kind of thing happens a lot when an artist is recoding an album. Things take a turn in one direction and everything done before is scrapped. Kylie's Golden was initially to be an album of up-tempo club bangers. But the lyrics she came up with after her breakup didn't sit with that concept, and when she went to Nashville to work on melodies and more writing the album changed course dramatically resulting in what we got.

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,175
    Medals:
    See, that's a twist I can appreciate.
    Now I'm feeling even less generous about it.

5. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Medals:
    I'm not sure how I came up with the number four. :D I just double checked and there are actually 3 singles. One of Us is the most recent one.

A lot of the artists that I listen to will release a single and then a couple of weeks later a remix EP, so I'm still surprised there haven't been any remixes yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    She's recently tweeted a very touching little tweet to her fans. Thanking them for giving her the biggest album of her career when she was thinking about giving up and hanging up her eyelashes.

It's all good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    Was SOS an instant grat track?

Also I have the download of the album so I'm not sure who produced most of it? Was it done by Brian Rawlings and the Metro people who did a most of her dance stuff?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Medals:
    It's listed as a single released at the end of August and there's an official video. I'm not 100 percent sure of what's a single and what's instant grat. I listen on Spotify and singles just start turning up leading up to the release of a new album. I always consider them singles and Spotify labels them as singles but that doesn't necessarily mean they are officially singles, I guess. It was easier to tell in the days of physical release singles. But I think Gimme, SOS and One of Us are official singles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,175
    Medals:
    Biggest album of her career?
    Seriously????

10. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Medals:
    Today I am digging her cover of Waterloo a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    Cher said it. It's selling very well in the States for first week. She probably means an album of new material by her doing so well, at a stage in her life when she as thinking of giving up.

That could be seen as the biggest album of your career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    It's very Goldfrapp. Only camper.

13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    It's first week sales are better than those of Madonna's Rebel Heart. If that means anything.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Medals:
    Yeah, I think she's being sentimental. I think she's saying emotionally it's a big deal to have her album selling well in the current stage of her career.

Is there anyone that's been around as long as she has that's charting successful albums in 2018? I can't think of another example off the top of my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    I mean she's in her mid 70s? Nobody that age is doing that well. Especially not a woman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Medals:
    She's 72 and she has albums going back to the mid-1960's. I'm thinking about how much music has changed since 1965 and she's managed to keep herself relevant enough to still be releasing music that people want to hear in 2018. That's pretty impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Medals:
    Hopefully Madonna when she gets to that point--but there seems to be more affection for Cher in general. I don't think people get the same feeling for Madonna so who knows if she will be able to have an album chart well in her 70's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    I think Madonna would be more successful now if she did things a little more tamer. I know that's not her, and she wont do that and she doesn't have to if she doesn't want to.
    I would love to see her stop doing the Nicki Minaj features, the hard dance EDM, the gangsta with a grill stuff. Maybe do a stripped back, acoustic folky album or something like that. Like I say I realise that's just not Madonna. Unless that kind of album was serving her a very useful purpose. Say, a film to promote, she wouldn't bother. Cher and even Kylie to a degree seem to have understood their brand a bit more. They have realised what people want and expect from them and consistently deliver it. Some might argue that that is being less creative and taking fewer risks. I honestly don't know. All I know is that when Madonna gets it right for me, I'm there, I love it. But the last decade or more those moments have been fewer and fewer.
    I just miss her singing voice and great melodies and lyrics. All the upbeat dance stuff of late leaves me cold. There are usually like 3 songs on an album I like now and the rest I have no use for.

Saying that Rebel Heart had a lot more songs I liked. Even at that I think I cut the album basically in half for my iTunes. I kept mostly the shower tracks and mid-tempos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,175
    Medals:
    Mark Taylor is the only member of the Metro team who was involved with this album.
    That's all very nice and lovely, but I only rate music based on the music itself, not the artist or any kind of sentiment.
    I think it's a very mediocre and unimaginative album (not horrible by any means) but I'm not surprised it's doing so well. Cher still has a huge following and they haven't had a new album since 2013.

I thought Chiquitita was the best track, but yesterday I listened to ABBA's version and I was shocked to realize how much better it was. Not 10 times better, but a 1000 times better.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,495
    Medals:
    You were shocked that ABBA's version is better? I mean.... seriously?
    I don't think anyone buying this album really thought that Cher's versions would be better than ABBA's originals. That idea is, well, frankly laughable.
    Also Chiquitita is the song on the album that I think has the worst production. That "current" Latin guitar thing going on and that beat is dreadful.
    It's fun fluff. It's sparkly, it's Cher doing ABBA.
    It is essentially a glorified karaoke album, and that's just fine. If you expected high art from a Cher ABBA covers album then I'm afraid you missed the point entirely.

Nothing in the known universe could top ABBA's Chiquitita.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)