Chase's midlife crisis.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    Medals:
    IMHO Chase's final season must be one of the worst, among the prime time principal characters. He redeemed himself somewhat towards the finish of season six. However before then the Gioberti vintner noted for his self righteous demeanour underwent what could be best described as a midlife crisis. Maggie was pregnant; he treated her like a piece of dirt, off his boot and refused to accept the child could be his, preferring to believe the pregnancy was the result of Maggie's encounter with Wainright. A red Porsche 928 become his main transport and he started going with a younger woman, called Gabrielle.

Chase has just returned from the hospital, after getting shot outside delusional maniac Wainright's cabin. Angela arrives at the Gioberti castle, to see how he is doing, (a scene from season 6, 1986 - '87):

Chase: "That bullet hit my back, not my brain."

Angela: "No one would ever guess!"

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,988
    Medals:
    I read somewhere that during Chase's final season Robert Foxworth was losing interest in playing Chase because Elizabeth Montgomery, his wife, had cancer and he was understandably preoccupied with looking after her. I often wondered whether the writers tried to accommodate the anguish he was going through in real life by making Chase more abrupt and dismissive when dealing with others because at times the character seemed totally different to the one in the earlier seasons who was unconditionally supportive of Maggie.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Medals:
    Oh he became so so irritating, a complete haemorrhoid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Medals:
    Any admiration I had for Chase soon was scuppered in his last year. He became a N.o. 1 jerk.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Chase was always somewhat humorless and unlikeable, thanks to Foxworth’s portrayal (unusual for the protagonist of the series). But he became downright unbearable in season 6. I believe that was a deliberate move by the writers, so we wouldn’t miss him when he left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    I rooted for Chase on his crusade against Angela, early on in the series. Even though it was Angela who progressed Falcon Crest to be a very successful wine business, Chase's interest was a birthright and he was only wanting what was rightfully his. Although I agree his self righteous attitude went off the Richter scale, in what would be his last season.

• Like Like x 1