Charlie Lawson falls ill at Edinburgh play.

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Swami, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    Rebus play halted after Coronation Street star falls ill

[​IMG]© Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

The opening night of the first Inspector Rebus stage play in Edinburgh was brought to a sudden halt after lead actor Charles Lawson fell ill during the show.

The Coronation Street star appeared to forget his lines near the start of the second half of the new play, Long Shadows, at the King’s Theatre, before announcing from the stage that he was feeling faint.

The 59-year-old was on-stage for a pivotal scene at the time with John Stahl, who plays Rebus’s arch-nemesis Cafferty, and Cathy Tyson, who plays long-time the retired detective’s long-time sidekick Siobhan Clarke.

Lawson's co-stars immediately came to his aid to help him from the stage before the house lights were turned on.

The King’s Theatre was sold out for the opening night of the run of the play, created by author Ian Rankin, who was in the audience, and playwright Rona Munro.

[​IMG]© Getty
    The audience were asked to remain in their seats while discussions were held backstage, before it was announced that Lawson’s understudy for the role of Rebus, Neil McKinven, was stepping in to help finish the performance, script in hand.

McKinven, who had already appeared on stage in a number of other roles earlier in the play, was given a rousing reception as he took a bow with the other cast members at the end of the show.

Long Shadows, which premiered at Birmingham Rep last month, is due to continue its run at the King's until Saturday as part of an extensive UK tour.

[​IMG]© Getty (Photo by Dave Thompson/PA Images via Getty Images)
    It emerged last week that Scottish stage and screen star Andy Gray had pulled out of the forthcoming Christmas panto at the King's Theatre after being diagnosed with blood cancer.

The 58-year-old had been due to appear with regular co-stars Grant Stott and Allan Stewart in Beauty and the Beast, but was advised to withdraw from the show from his doctors.

Swami

2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    Hopefully this is nothing serious and he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Swami

3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    [​IMG]
    Media playback is unsupported on your device
    Charles Lawson became emotional while talking about the incident on BBC Breakfast

Media captionCharles Lawson became emotional while talking about the incident on BBC Breakfast
    Actor Charles Lawson, best known as Jim McDonald on Coronation Street, has said he was diagnosed with exhaustion before suffering a mini-stroke on stage.

A doctor asked him whether he would consider pulling out of playing Ian Rankin's detective Rebus, he said.

But Lawson responded that he would "feel like a chicken" if he did.

He went on to have the stroke mid-show in Edinburgh this month. "I knew I hadn't a clue what was happening, and then it just all went black," he said.

Lawson is now back on tour in Rebus - Long Shadows with co-stars Cathy Tyson and John Stahl, and told BBC Breakfast he feels "very well".

The doctor who originally diagnosed his exhaustion asked how he would feel about pulling out. "And I couldn't because I was playing bloody Rebus," Lawson said.

He told viewers who may be in a similar position to "listen to your alarm bells".

[​IMG]Image copyright ITV
    Image caption Lawson was also seen back on Coronation Street in September
    He saw the doctor before the show opened in Birmingham in September.

"I didn't sleep properly for a month," Lawson said. "I lost a stone. [On] press night we opened and everything was fine and all reviews were good."

After two weeks in Birmingham, the show went on tour.

Lawson said: "First night in Edinburgh. Packed house. Second half, Cathy, John and myself were on stage. There's a 35-page scene, the climax of the piece, and I was looking at John and I was aware very quickly something was wrong.

"I went deaf. The colour changed - my vision changed."

[​IMG]Image copyright Robert Day
    Image caption Cathy Tyson plays a detective inspector in the show
    He said he could hardly see Tyson, and thought Stahl was messing about by reciting lines from a different play.

"I remember feeling annoyed," he said. "And I remember moving to where I should have been, and there was a piece of me that knew something was wrong.

"And then big John just put his arm around me and said, 'Come on big lad, off you go'."

He told the audience on 8 October he thought he was going to faint, according to a review in The Edinburgh Evening News, and was replaced by an understudy for the rest of the show.

Lawson went backstage and said he felt fine within 20 minutes, but scans the following day revealed the transient ischemic attack (TIA) - or mini-stroke.

"I haven't had time to deal with it," he said. "I haven't had time to sit down and think because two days later I was back on stage."

The show is now at Manchester's Opera House and still has to tour in Northampton, Aberdeen and Guildford.

"I need to sit down and think about it," he added. "It is a great show and Ian loves it, which is the key to all of us. We've got four weeks to go, and then I'm going on holiday.

"Celebrities can whinge a lot but I'm not like that. I don't whinge, but I knew I was exhausted and I know I'm exhausted and when I finish this it's up to the Highlands for me. No signal, no phone, two dogs and my beautiful [wife] Debbie, who's looked after me."

Swami