1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Censorship/Editing ("The Roof")

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Lockardian, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Lockardian

Lockardian Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +18

Watching this clip from a repeat showing of the season 3 episode "The Roof", I'm pretty certain it is different from the original episode shown in the 80s.

When Claudia drops the doll from the roof and it lands on the car, I'm sure the original episode showed the doll shatter to pieces on the roof of the car when I watched it on BBC TV in 1984. I can see someone else who watched the original ABC broadcast has commented on the video saying the same thing.

You can tell that the music score kind of "jumps" at that point, so I'm sure I'm not remembering things incorrectly.

I assume it was considered too graphic for a daytime repeat on SOAPNET and censored accordingly, yet the DVD release (certainly the Region 2 box set) features the same edited version.

Does anyone know the story behind this? Were there complaints after the original broadcast so the "master" used for future syndication was edited and this new print was accidentally or intentionally was used for the DVD releases?

I wonder if the unedited version has been repeated in any countries or markets?

This has made me wonder if there are any other examples of censored or re-edited scenes appearing on the DVD releases?

I know that the recap at the start of Season 7 with Catherine Oxenburg's dialogue redubbed by Karen Cellini doesn't appear to have been repeated - is that because re-runs don't normally feature recaps/teasers, or is a different version used?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Medals:
    Well at 1:22 you can see the shattered pieces of the doll on the roof of the car, so it's there to see. If they wanted to remove that, they would have taken out that as well, otherwise the whole editing would not make sense in the first place.
    I don't recall it ever been differently in the 80s, at least not in the German version.
    If they'd shown the shattering before the actual reveal, the audience would have known already, it would not make any sense in terms of continuity.
    Sometimes one can get confused with these kind of scenes and the mind plays tricks, so that because you saw those shattered pieces, you think you might have seen the actual shattering before as well - which in fact you didn't. ;)

Just ask a police investigator about these things at actual crime scenes when they are talking to the witnesses. One says "the perpetraytor had a blue jacket and a moustache, i'm sure of that!" while the next one says "he wore a brown jacket and had a full beard, i remember that exactly!" and everyone is completly convinced that they remember it correctly. So these confusions do happen at real crime scenes just one hour after the crime took place - and we're talking about a scene of a TV show that originaly aired some 30 years ago.. ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    But doesn't it look better without showing the doll being shattered to pieces? For an extra 18 seconds, after the doll had hit the car, we (and the characters) still didn't know that it wasn't the baby.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lockardian

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's true Willie - and Matthew, you may be right, though I somehow remember thinking "would a baby smash to pieces like that?". That said, I was only 11 or 12, and my memory may indeed be playing tricks on me.

It does sound a bit like there is a jump in the underscore, but again that could be all in my mind!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    For what it's worth, they also did this on Paper Dolls:
    [​IMG]
    Of course, this doll didn't pretend to be a real baby.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Medals:
    A cut/jump in the music score could as well mean that they had to edit the score in order to fit the length of the scene, because they often used previously arranged scores for scenes and used the same tracks for different episodes, even for different shows.
    For example there is that scene at the end of S5 where Dex tells Krystle and Blake that Daniel Reece has died. The sad tune playing there in the background was used one year later on a sad scene of "Dallas", a show neither from the same production company nor even on the same network.
    Funniest example to me here is the score from "The Colbys", because there were several tunes in there, that came up the same year on sevaral scenes of "MacGyver". :crazy:
    And later on Dynasty Season 9 you could find quite a lot of music that sound awfully similar to some MacGyver of that year as well.
    Just listen to the music of this video, start at timestamp 21:45 and listen for about 2 minutes:

If you ignore the spanish talking and concentrate just on the music, you will feel like you are watching a Dynasty S9 episode somewhere in the middle or towards the end of season 9. Very strange feeling. :D

And even on Dynasty itself, dramatic themes were often reused. Prominent example that springs right to my mind is the dramatic score of the S3 cliffhanger while there's the fire in the cabin with Alexis and Krystle trapped.
    Listen to that and then go over to S6 and watch the Rita and Krystle catfight in the attic and - ooops - same score there. :D
    But in S6 it has an obvious (and very bad edited) cut at some point and repeats itself to run longer, because the catfight scene is just longer than that fire scene from 3 years before.
    And the particular score we're talking about here, with the baby falling from the roof and Fallon having the breakdown in Blakes arms ... the ending part of that score matches 100% the ending score for the penultimate episode of S2, after Steven left and Claudia steals the baby.
    So ... i wouldn't pay too much attention to cuts and jumps in the scores, those were often reused and partly poorly trimmed to fit the length of the respective scenes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    And that's what they did. The scene is the same as I've always seen it.

I always thought they should have ended the episode without the reveal that it was just a doll.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    What I'd like to see is that version of the Moldavian Massacre where there is no closing theme, just the sound of the church bells as the bodies lie there covered in blood. I saw it once on YouTube a long time ago, I think from a VHS recording of the BBC airing and now I wish it was on DVD.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Lockardian

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, that was the version used on BBC One in late 1985. Was that the original ending on ABC too? I assume they didn't normally insert a promo or sting between the end of the episode and the credits.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Maybe it's the fact that the whole scene is dumb?

In my experience, shattered pieces don't usually land neatly around each other in a semi-assembled fashion like that after falling such a great distance.

The censors should've cut the whole series of shots of that damned dall.

11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    :lol:
    I must admit, it was a very dramatic pose.
    Btw, when you say "in my experience" does that mean you've reenacted that scene?:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Yes! Many... MANY times.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    But Esther said it was all choreographed and that the bodies position were intentional and give us a resolution to the cliffhanger!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1