Celebrity Big Brother 2018: Year of the Woman

Discussion in 'Reality TV Forum' started by Ome, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,366
    It was although I disagree with John and agreed with Rachel. If someone commits a crime people don't assume it a white person and John wasn't doing black, Asian and minority ethnic people any favours by saying that.

That was hilarious, a real laugh out loud moment.

The housemates really look after Ann and treat her so respectfully even though her eye rolls, facial expressions and general attitude suggests that it isn't always reciprocated.

Another great laugh out loud moment

Overall much less of India today which provided more time for the other housemates, not just Wayne but also Shane and Johnny.

This series of Celebrity Big Brother is turning out to be a good watch without the producers trying to manipulate the housemates into creating conflict. I think it's better for it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    Yes, as fascinating as it is to hear from Shane, I also love watching the others take in what he says.

I forgot about this, that was a magical moment and I was also very impressed with Courtney.

That was hilarious.
    I don't know what's happened, but he's morphing more into Daniel & Johnny.

I was also impressed with Shane L when he spoke to India about how she makes everything negative and is always on the defence and also it was great that he used Shane J as an example of how to tell a life story.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    Oh yes, absolutely and it's refreshing to see more intelligent conversations over the usual smut we have had in the past. I hope this is a sign of things to come from BB.

Maybe next year they could focus on half the house from a rich/privileged background and half from a poor/unprivileged background, I'd love to see how that would go.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    I thought the 50s task was brilliant, they all looked the part and it was great to see everyone take part. Normally there's always one or two who never get involved in the task. I also loved how BB is tricking the guys by having the girls working the same tasks. Shane proves he is no wet lettuce when he starts to question what the girls have been up to.

I can't work out Ginuwine's motive with Ashley, I got the impression from something he said about not really ben into her, though for the first time on BB, I did think the window scene was kinda cute and I loved that Ashley never gave in to him.

Can we have Shane in every series? Once again he strikes up a great topic by asking the guys what they thought of Trump's lockerroom talk.

Amanda was great when she called India out on her 'playing the victim' and I liked that India sees herself as the villain when she's in the diary room, I do hope that she is saved tonight. She winds me up no end, but I still want to know about her journey and in some ways, I hope she learns something from this show, many of the housemates have now spoken with her about her behaviour and she does seem to have settled in better.

I/m having a really great time this year and it's noticeable that BB is not interfering in its usual way, there is enough decent housemate for this to run without and cheap stunts from BB. Long may it continue.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,011
    Ashley said in the in DR that she doesn't want a house romance with Ginuwine and yet she’s all over him, but watching them last night I don’t see any spark or chemistry between them. I think (and hope) they both just enjoy the friendliness and easy banter they have together.

Amanda is now another (along with Marcus) who has had enough of India being the victim and I did chuckle when she called India out, especially as it was immediately after Ann and Ashley had just been comforting India.

Ann and Ashley were incredibly patient with her (India) but I think the sympathy makes India play up even more. Poor Amanda sounded completely frazzled by it all, India can’t be easy to live with and good on Amanda for letting her frustration show and especially for speaking openly.
    I have a funny feeling that India will survive this eviction (although I usually get these things wrong) and if she does survive she might have the ability to turn the viewers perception of her around.

I completely agree with you.
    It's a relief that the edit isn’t just focused on arguments this series. To me this series feels more true to the original concept of BB than any series I’ve watched during the last few years.

I think Shane has already sussed the twist in the task he’s very intuitive.

Shane L talked about Stephen Gately with such love and affection. It was another example of how harsh and ruthless the press can be by forcing Stephen to come out or they would break the news.

India has suddenly found her self-awareness.
    She sat in the DR talking about Ashley and Ginuwine and then without pausing for breath turned the subject back to herself :D
    She owned the blame for the girls (as she called it) ..“being a pack” ...and herself being excluded from the pack and admitted that she’s gone on too much about her gender. Damage limitation? Call me suspicious, but as she is up for eviction was she really talking to BB or us (the viewers). Is she playing the game to survive? Having said that I’m glad shes admitted her faults and I actually hope she is being sassy enough to play the game.

I keep forgetting to mention the DR chair, I’m not keen on the current one it makes the DR look claustrophobic.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    At first, I loved it, I like the 3D effect, but after a day or two, I'm with you about finding it claustrophobic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    Gosh, it's Sunday and no comments. It's a strange one because it really is one of the best set of housemates I've seen in many years and yet the talk is little.

I'm disappointed that India went out, but I'm not surprised in the least. She created lots of drama and was unkind in many ways, so she's going to lose support. The real shame is when you compare her to Johnny. He brings nothing to the show (so far) and he's completely dull. With India there were many layers to her, however, I think she said it right herself when she mentioned she had blown her chances. What a shame the other housemates didn't see the India we saw in her interview with Emma, she knew what game she was playing, she knew she went in too hard I wonder how differently she would play it this week had she survived.

I've not seen last night's show because it was on too late and will be looking forward to watching it tonight back to back with tonight's show.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    Saturday's show was a letdown, too much focus on the communication/painting task that I ended up hitting FF. I did smile at Ann trying to curl her hair with the straighteners and missing it.

Last night's episode was much better and what a clever thing for BB to do, give men the power of the shopping list, while it will be the women doing the cooking.

The task was much better and just how easy is it to manipulate someone when you're in a crowd. I'm glad Andrew went for 50p a pint of milk and 72 hours over three days, but Jess, wow, they really did have control over her didn't they?

Finally, Ashley is feeling a little creepy over Ginuwine, there's a reason why he has had 9 children scattered everywhere...

I've never been keen on Wayne, I find all that prancing around quite annoying, but there was a change in last night's show. I found him much funnier when he was with the lads.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Long Lashes

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,011
    I would’ve preferred India to stay over Johnny. I didn’t particularly like her, but she was far more interesting than what I’ve seen of Johnny and at least she caused a reaction. Amazingly she didn't get booed by the crowd and I wonder if they've been instructed not to boo or call out? I hope this trend continues because I hate the booing.

I enjoyed hearing Amanda’s view on relationships and her life (I think it was during Fridays highlights) when she talked about being in a long term three way relationship. She has a keen sense of humour and doesn't take life too seriously, we need more people like Amanda in this world.

It seems to have become a BB tradition to share baths. Andrew, Shane J and Ashley were all in the bath together the other night and shaving each other, imagine all the shaved bits floating in the water .. ew!

I’ve been trying to think who Dapper reminds me of and I’ve just realised he speaks like Danny Dyer.

That task seemed to last an eternity and we did exactly the same with the FF button.

And the old chalk board was back for the shopping list yaay! It’s like old times and much more interesting than the ipad. The producers seemed to have finally remembered that the shopping list can be a source of natural conflict…
    "no Parmesan!"

Yes, it did show how mass manipulation works and I've had a taste of this during the 'sinister' meddling in last years chosen word nomination threads :lol:
    During the spelling task I was doing all I could to try and will BB to get them to spell 'canoe'. I also laughed as Ann replied with great authority that sodium chloride is pepper.

She did feel creeped out by Ginuwine and with good reason and yet she was soon back cuddling with him. I'm finding it difficult to be interested in the Ashley/Ginuwine story and also some HM's appear to have been cast aside in the edits whilst this romance is aired. John Barnes and Johnny seem to have gone AWOL.

Aw Wayne is chuffed to bits because he’s getting on well with the guys and I think Wayne is right .... the boys are more fun than the girls.

However much Andrew tries to explain his friendship with Shane/Courtney I think he’s fascinated with Courtney.

Ann is good value in the DR and last night’s BB was great with her. I wish the other HM’s had joined her and rebelled against the rules about sharing the scones and gin with the guys.

I think Rachel is likely to be nominated this week, I like her but she seems to be annoying some of the HM’s. Shane L made me smile when he said in the DR that all be wanted was some bread and butter with his meal and he didn’t dare ask Rachel …Lol!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,366
    I really like how the men have bonded in the house. They are a really diverse bunch is terms of age, background, race/nationality and sexuality but none of that seems to matter, they just accept each other for who they are and their differences just becomes part of the banter and the fascination that they have for each other.

I can't remember who said that Shane J enjoys being part of a male group which he probably hasn't experience previously and he was right.

Shane is proving to be a great housemate, he fits in well with the men when they are being "lads" and gets on well with the women and also seems to be the only one that challenges Ann on some of her hateful views.

What is making this one of the best Big Brothers in a long time is that the housemates are just left to develop friendships (or otherwise) and situations just naturally develop instead of the producers constantly trying to create conflict. In previous series, the men wouldn't have been left to get on with each other because Big Brother would have intervened with a task to get them at each other's throats and we would have missed that adorable scene yesterday when Wayne seemed so pleased that he impressed the guys with how much drink he was able to bring back for them.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    Yes, I'm really pleased with this and like you, I hope it's something BB is working on. There's really no need to boo everyone. (Though I wouldn't mind if they were like Helen Wood)

She really is and it's very encouraging to see someone like Amanda. I much prefer people who enjoy their lives, no matter what age they are.

I honestly don't get the point of this, and it puzzles me why everyone is fine with just about anyone rubbing their hands all over each other's bodies.
    Yes, exactly.

I still can't take to this guy, along with Johnny all I see is the pair of them disrespecting women, usually in a bid to make the other laugh.

Oh, how I was glad to see this back too.

Haha!!

Sinister Club.5.jpg

Ha! I was thinking about this during the task too.

They were actually great at coming up with some ridiculous answers.

Me too, I would much rather watch the natural chat between housemates and I'm sure they could focus on Shane J & Ann with his brilliant questions to her.

I am so tired of BB trying to make something of a romance with the housemates and when you look back, most of these never last outside the house, so it all seems pointless.

I'm not too bothered about Johnny, but I do want to see more of John and Shane L

I really despise her for what she's done in the past, but I do find her time in the DR amusing and also when she's arguing with the girls. I want to see more of the Rachel/Ann stuff too.

Yes, I'm thinking the same too.

Not sure who the second person could be, maybe Ginuwine where a few of them might say he doesn't get involved. Or maybe it's no one and most of them are up for just receiving two nominations.

Yes, I can't recall a series where all the lads bonded, usually, there are two (or even three) groups.

I wish they would show us more of this. The other day we got a little snippet of the Catholic/Contraception question and then it went on to someone that I can't even remember.

If BB concentrated more on who they were putting in the house, we might never have to rely on them intervening. This bunch (both male & female) are of a different mould and full of interesting topics, whereas in the past 5 years we've had too much from shows like TOWIE, Made in Chelsea where the most of the chat turns to vulgarity.

I'm tired of watching people bedhopping or getting completely wasted on alcohol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Long Lashes

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,011
    There are some exceptions for the boo's and Helen is definitely one :lol:

Oh the treachery, why did I fall for it? :fp:

I sense some rivalry between these two.

This series is proving your point.

The mix of ages is also an improvement, quite a few of these HM's have interesting life experiences and can discuss subjects in more depth.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Long Lashes

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,011
    Marcus is very sarcastic this series (which I appreciate) and much more natural sounding compared to his usual exaggeration.
    Marcus – “now for a scene you’ll never unsee”
    Why the heck couldn’t Wayne bath himself? eww and toenail cutting, gross. He even interacted with Rachel's dialogue when she was trying to pluck up the courage to ask Ann to do the dishes….”spit it out Rachel!”

Andrew was pushing his luck asking Ashley to wax him. Ashley told him to ask Ann knowing that Ann would say ‘no’. Ann hit the nail on the head when she said Andrew knew it would embarrass her, it was a laugh at her expense (I know Ann has controversial views and probably doesn't need protecting , but she is an OAP) and I’m not sure how sincere Andrews’s apology was either. Anyway, why would Andrew need to wax his bum, can’t he just wait until he leaves?

Wayne was rightly punished for his nomination talk, Rachel took the news about what he said about her well. It annoys me that nomination talk is never punished severely enough or have any effect on the nominations. Wayne having to write a few lines makes nomination talk worth doing.

I was surprised to see children go into the house and I loved it. :D I wonder if their parents are BB fans? They were so well behaved, although unfortunately Ashley is now immune, I doubt she’d have been up anyway

Ann and Amanda make a good double act it was good to see them giggling together about Ashley’s dress....
    “barely covering her posterior” :lol:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    I've always loved Marcus, but this year he has been even more brilliant and I laughed hard at his comment with Rachel. It was like he was in the house with them.

I thought Andrew was out of line yesterday. It's one thing to challenge someone on their views but what he did was uncalled. I don't like the woman and her radical views, but as a human being, there was clearly no respect. I also agree with Ann in that Andrew is like a young child. He's always up for a laugh, he's fair game with anyone, he just needs to learn how to respect people.

I think he realised he a crossed a line, but at the same time, it was like a schoolboy sniggering behind the head teacher's back, again I think he did this knowing she is probably universally disliked.

Yes, I so wish they would take away something that they enjoy, even better when they punish another housemate instead of the one who broke the rules.

That was great, but I couldn't help thinking if it was the right thing to do, doing what they did would encourage these kids to try and watch the show behind their parent's backs and well, we all know how vulgar it can get in that house.

I enjoyed that scene too and I admire that Ann walks away at night knowing how the housemates are likely to behave after a few drinks. I don't think I would want to be in the company of most of them, in any series.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,366
    I take a different view on this. Although Andrew didn't behave entirely appropriately, I agree with his comment that the other housemates put Ann on a pedestal and he is right to challenge this behaviour towards Ann.

When Andrew asked for Ann's permission to have his bum waxed, Ann should have just said it's nothing to do with her and he should sort it out himself. Instead she goes into complete meltdown over hearing the word "buttocks". She knew what the Big Brother house is like and she knows how many younger people behave so she shouldn't expect the experience to be like a church outing. If she feels so strongly about not being offended why doesn't she just hand back the large fee she received and leave the house?

The special treatment Ann receives was also illustrated the other day when the housemates were all sat around the table and the brilliant Shane J was challenging another one of her nasty opinions. Rachel intervened and promptly changed the subject. It appeared that Rachel was trying to protect Ann from exposing herself as the vile right wing extremist that she really is.

Again yesterday, when the housemates were correctly discussing how Ann wasn't pulling her weight regarding the housework, Ashley volunteered to do the washing up to avoid anyone having to ask Ann to do it. Even Rachel, who first pointed out Ann's lack of contribution to house chores, seemed reluctant to broach the issue with her.

It can't be an age things because no one treats Amanda with the same reverence and she is older than Ann.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484

You're right and I agree with what Andrew said, but there's a much better way to deal with it. The only reason (that I could see) for Andrew doing what he did is because he knew what reaction he was going to get. She's old-fashioned, she's ignorant and she's not a very nice person, but there's no need to act in the way Andrew did, it doesn't make it any better and it's certainly not going to change who Ann is. If anything, it did give Ann that opportunity to (once again) stand on a platform.

I don't know if this is a good comparison. I know that, as I was watching last night, I thought, had Andrew gone to Amanda to say what he said, she would have come back to him with a sarcastic comment and laughed it off - it's why he didn't go to Amanda.

No one treats Amanda the same way they treat Ann, because Amanda & Ann are very different people and the response are going to be obviously different.

I could be wrong, but when I am out and about, it's very rare I see someone like Amanda, whereas I see older generations like Ann all too often.

This has been the most frustrating thing all series, too many housemates are blocking the flow of conversation when it comes to challenging Ann. That and BB change the scene to somewhere else in the house.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Long Lashes

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,011
    I do hope no child ever watches this show and I wouldn't let a child of mine go into the house as its an unpredictable environment. Having said that, selfishly for me it felt like a breath of fresh air to see the children and watching how the HM's interacted with them.

And this is what I love about this show, we are all watching the same thing and interpreting it differently, its fascinating.

I think Rachel has a different agenda.

She let a few of the other HM's know that she needed to ask Ann to do the dishes before confronting Ann herself . I'm probably over thinking this, but was Rachel planting seeds for people to nominate Ann and using this as an excuse?
    I've also noticed before that I get the feeling that Rachel is out to expose Ann in some way - yes I am probably overthinking the motives, but I enjoy doing this :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,366
    Andrew unquestionably behaved inappropriately but Ann's reaction was over the top. Had Andrew asked Ann to wax his buttocks then I could understand her response. Ann could have closed down the situation much more effectively without making such a drama over what he said. She's behaving like she's spent all her life in a convent and not the worldly woman that she is, who has witnessed a lot of bad behaviour from her former parliamentary colleagues, some of which was probably worse than anything Andrew did.

I couldn't understand Rachel's behaviour. She knows Ann from outside the Big Brother house so her reticence in raising with issue with Ann of her not pulling her weight in the house seemed a bit odd, especially when earlier she was well up for telling Ann while she was talking to Ashley. It seemed really out of character for her as she is normally a very confident and strong person.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,484
    I agree with you and it felt odd that she seemed so apprehensive about asking Ann to pull her weight with the chores.

Yes, absolutely, she made a big deal out of it in the way she seems to do with most things in the house. She's also behaving like she is whiter than white. I don't think people are fooled by this.

She really has (or appears) taken a different approach to Ann and I think Long Lashes might be right in Rachel having the hidden agenda, by way of getting the housemates to nominate Ann.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Ann, but I do find her a fascinating person in the way she behaves, her reaction to the game itself, but most of all, I'd love more challenges on her beliefs. I'd rather be engrossed by Ann, than I would, Ashely, Ginuwine, Jess, Daniel & Johnny.

• Like Like x 3