Cast of The Young Doctors reunited.

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Santa Englishboy, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Santa Englishboy

Santa Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Medals:
    Members of the cast of classic Australian soap, The Young Doctors have been reunited in Australia to mark the show's 40th anniversary.

The show which launched the careers of many actors ran from 1976 until 1983 in Australia.

When it ceased production it held the record run for longest running soap opera having surpassed the record held by raunchy 1970s soap opera, Number 96.

It held this record until being over taken by A Country Practice and then Neighbours which is the current granddaddy of Australian soaps.

Attending the reunion to reminisce about their time working together on The Young Doctors were Paula Duncan (Lisa Brooks), Karen Peterson (Erica Hoffman), Diana McLean (Viv Jeffries), Judy Lynne (Susan Richards), Tim Page (Graham Steele), Peter Bensley (Mike Newman), Chris Orchard (Rod Langley), Joanne Samuel (Jill Gordon) and Chris King (Dennis Jamison).

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Santa Englishboy

Santa Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Medals:

Lynda Stoner, who played Kim Barrington in the show discusses her time working on The Young Doctors 40 years after it first launched on channel 9 in Australia

3. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,914
    Medals:
    Did the show air in the UK?

4. steve

steve Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5

Yes because I deffinately remember it airing before CITV started so was probably around half 3 when it was on. I remember it on when I came home from school.

No suprise Alan Dale isn't at the reunion, I think he's had a lot of grumbles for a while over the soaps he appeared in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Oh yes indeed. I well recall it airing on Mondays and Tuesdays at 3:30 on ITV during the Eighties. With Sons And Daughters in the same slot Wednesday-Friday.

Even then the YD episodes were way behind. We were watching episodes with way out Seventies fashion and music which seemed alien and a little hilarious to my young self.

Being very young and not knowing anything about how TV worked, I got rather confused about actors appearing in both shows in different roles (because the YD episodes were about half a dozen years older than the S&D episodes). Like how was Sister Scott terrorising the wards at the beginning of the week and then married to Gordon Palmer at the end of the week with a different haircut?

Have you never seen it, @Alexis? If not I heartily recommend the Classic Cliffhangers DVD. Brace yourself for some godawful, wall wobbling, line-fluffing fun.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,914
    Medals:
    I cant be sure if I have seen it or not. I do remember Sons and Daughters from around the first time I saw Knots Landing. I guess these shows were all shown in different regional timeslots and used as daytime filler. I remember A Country Practice too I think, but it could be The Young Doctors.

I just wish there was a channel now devoted to these old soaps. I'd never leave the house!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Yeah. Each region showed it at whatever pace they chose. Then Neighbours happened and suddenly Aussie soaps mattered. Sadly, it was too late for the gems that were hidden away in daytime schedules in the early 80s.

Absolutely. When UK Gold first launched in the early Nineties it had a cracking line up. And then there was Sky Soap. I don't think there's anything like that now. If only...

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve

steve Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Looking back now I do wish I had recorded them years ago because them being on right before CITV was perfect. Sadly back then VHS tapes cost a lot of money and couldnt really see my parents forking out for 5 tapes per week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,914
    Medals:
    Even in the 90s when I was recording Sunset Beach it was a nightmare. I think I was recording the omnibus episodes on Saturdays and I wold record on long play and get two omnibus episodes on a tape if recorded in long play. I used to get tapes in Poundstretcher and then eventually I started making my way through the family film collection. lol Stuff that would not be watched again.