Cancelled Too Soon

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Carrie Fairchild, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Medals:
    I've recently started watching Profit starring Adrian Pasdar, which had a brief run on FOX in the mid-90's. I'd heard of it before as it often pops up in "cancelled too soon" conversations. What I've watched so far is great. It's a real precursor to all of those darker cable dramas from HBO and the like, which would follow a few years later. I'm also planning on watching Aaron Spelling's vampire drama Kindred: The Embraced from around the same period as Profit. I vaguely remember watching it on Sky and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

What are people's favourite short lived shows from the past that you'd recommend watching? Anything from as far back as the 60's onwards. The online lists often feature the same series (Freaks & Geeks, My So Called Life) but is there any obscurity that you especially loved that you think people should watch?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    Plantage Allee is a Dutch prime time soap from 1992, after 12 episodes it ended with a cliffhanger and of course I wanted more.
    It was a great drama series about two wealthy families, one of the mothers was a horrible person who hated her youngest son. I think it had something to do with a tragedy, maybe his twin brother died or something. I was mega pissed off when it was cancelled.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Medals:
    Yes, cancelled soaps are a particular pain in the ass because you rarely get closure whereas crime / legal type dramas often have a conclusion of sorts. As dodgy as they may have been, we should at least be thankful that Aaron Spelling bothered to tack on endings to some of his shorter lived shows like 2000 Malibu Road, Pacific Palisades and Models Inc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    Medals:
    El Dorado with Pilar and 'MarcOS'. It was just starting to get really good when it was cancelled!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    The Associates (2001-2002) - a sexy, soapy legal drama that shouldn't have been cancelled.

Popular (1999-2001) - loved it, never missed an episode.

Pushing Daisies (2007) - a quirky crime show with a fantastic design.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,102
    I now I am in the minority here with so many loving the campy (and I think shabbily produced) daytime original, but I loved the revival of Dark Shadows on NBC and was very disappointed when it ended after 12 episodes.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Medals:
    I really loved the premise of this show and wish it was on air today to add a bit of variety to the often interchangeable current crop of UK soaps. All of the episodes used to be online and I watched the first 50 or so episodes. They were a mess. There were a lot of great elements and characters in there but the execution was dire. Then Corinne Hollingworth came aboard as producer and things began to improve. It's a shame that the BBC didn't stick with it as I could imagine Trish would still be propping up the bar in Joy's if it were on air today.

I recently listened to podcast where they were discussing the revival. It all sounded positively bonkers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    Medals:
    The Halcyon (UK). Only got 1 season.

9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Medals:
    I will gladly stand by you and defend the 1991 reboot! I confess, I liked both versions, but the reboot had everything going for it except for one key factor: an unplanned war. The casting was superb, and of course they poured so much money into production values that even if the material had sucked, it still would have been a beautiful show. But they did a great job of boiling down over a year of daily episodes into one season of plotlines, cutting out the fluff and tightening up some of the linkages between the characters.

If the Gulf War had not erupted like that, the show would have survived for at least another season. The pre-emptions and chaos created by NBC wanting to out-do CNN in wall-to-wall coverage handicapped the show. Even then, they were "on the bubble" for renewal or cancellation. Had it not been for Saddam Hussein, DS would have lived, I tell you!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Medals:
    i Loved the DS revival and i still love it i watched it back than and i watched with my dad and that's the show that got me hooked into DS. i hadn't seen the Original show yet.

but it got cancelled cause of Desert Storm the coverage of that is what killed the show and as i type this 1. i'm still furious it was cancelled with that cliff-hanger ending! and also
    2. i think it's the last war we had any coverage to that extreme that had that was on tv. i could be wrong but that's what i remember

• Like Like x 2
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,684
    Medals:
    Honestly, there was a lot of shows that Fox dumped on Fridays when it was their death slot that just got ousted after one season - Pasadena and Wonderfalls stand out as particular victims, but I also liked John Doe and Fastlane. A live-action version of The Tick (now rebooted on Amazon I believe) aired there also and was quite good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,600

I'm going to drop this one in here...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Medals:
    Pasadena was great. It was a better written Desperate Housewives before DH was even a thing. I also recall enjoying Fastlane. I think the expense was one of the factors that led to it's demise. While we're talking Fox shows that weren't given a chance, I'll add Lone Star to the list. It was one of the most well received pilots in the upfronts yet they dumped it after only three episodes I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    upload_2019-4-23_21-15-13.png
    Only 13 episodes. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure I ever will. It's OOP and only available from greedy-bitch market place sellers.

upload_2019-4-23_21-19-4.png
    This was awesome, I wanted more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    upload_2019-4-23_21-27-17.png
    Loved it! Only one season:mad:

16. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Medals:
    John doe oh that was a great show and it had a cliff hanger that still pisses me off. though i do gotta say this the creator himself did say weather or not he was an alien and the answer is on John Doe he was an alien.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Medals:
    you forgot Brimstone was another show that sadly got cancelled as well and it was a Brilliant idea that easily easily could have lasted for years had they handled it better