1. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Can they just end this now?

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by MarkSinacori, May 6, 2019.

1. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,898
    Medals:
    I'd maybe say 4, tops!

And why shouldn't we compare it to the good parts of ODynasty? Isn't that what this show should be trying to recapture and emulate?

2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,198
    Medals:
    Yes, we can do that too.

3. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    I think NuDynasty has more than 4 good episodes : season 1, with the arrival of Alexis till the season finale, episodes got better and better. Season 2 : episodes 13, 14, and 15 were good imo. But that's just me.

The aftermath of the Rita (dumb) storyline was a wake up call for Sammy Jo. For the fist time she did really hurt her ant, and she really wanted to redeem herself. I agree, that was quite sudden, but I felt at the time hat it worked pretty well. She became nicer, but also wiser.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,472
    Medals:
    Oh, I wasn't so much putting forth an argument as I was saying what my feelings were at a particular time.

5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    Medals:
    I hope the series finale of NuDynasty has the cast burning and pissing on the mastertapes of the original Dynasty :crazyme:

6. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135
    The season finale of season 1 was good. The last few episodes of season 1 were good. That's how they should have kept it. With how they ended season 1. Those were some good episodes. The beginning of season 1 was not that good. Ratings have been terrible since day 1. Season 2 is just all about recasting. There are people who don't like the new Cristal, some want to see Michael leave, and some don't like Alexis played by the same actress who plays Fallon. Ratings will keep going lower and lower each week. What fans does the show have? There aren't a big number of people watching it. It's doing WORSE than when Melrose Place was on there, and the writers and producers screwed that show up 100%.

7. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Actually they don't. On the contrary, they are very steady.

But "Melrose Place" did not have a Netflix deal.

You're not completely wrong on that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    Average rating this season, so far is 0.54 million viewers. And it seems that maybe NS departure has a little influence. Or the Fallexis farce made people go : the numbers are getting a little lower since she's gone. Episode 19 has even reached a new low with 0.39 millions watchers only. But, as long as the show will be streamed enough on the Netflix platform, the show will go on. And so far, the show is doing well enough on Netflix. If not, Netflix would have cancelled it, and the CW obviously would have too.

I am even hoping now that the show becomes a Netflix exclusive, to be free of the CW network creative control.

"Streaming darling. Streaming.
    By the way, welcome in 2019."
    :love7:

NuAlexis - Fanfic

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    Medals:
    The Melrose Place reboot was also a decade ago when ratings overall were higher and as you say, The CW did not have their Netflix deal in place which is where they make most of their money these days. At the end of the day, they're a business that cares mostly about money in the bank, which Dynasty clearly brings via Netflix. The biggest concern for The CW is of course if Netflix decides to move on from their lucrative deal, but at this point they're more or less a content provider for them that also happens to have a television channel.

10. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135
    Nope, I am 100% right. They didn't watch the original and guessed Michael faked Sydney's death in 1997. Even with those "healing" banadages he had in several episodes into season 6, his hands were COMPLETELY bandaged and he was in surgery for them the night of her wedding in May of 1997. The writers DID mess up on that one. He couldn't even work because he was hurt. He was tied to a bed in the hospital, not up and working!

11. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135
    My god, if they did have that Netflix deal then we would have had more crap written! This was continuing the series character returns years later, whereas Dynasty is just a recreation.

12. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135

Rita...I actually worked with George Hamilton at The Price Is Right behind the scenes when he practice rehearsed to replace Bob Barker in 2007. I had no idea who he was, then I looked him up and saw his episode clips on you tube. Yeah, that story was weird on there.

Dynasty had a great end to season 1. The arrival of Alexis up until the finale were good. It was after that I didn't like. Season 2 I didn't care for her. And now to recast her with the same actress as Fallon is JTS material (Jump The Shark)

13. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135
    Season 1 had bad points.

There was NO OFFICE for Fallon. No workers. Her company this and that. We didn't even see it really. Nothing. That was something big I didn't like in season 1. That, and the fact that Jeff came off as very gay and weak were two things I hated. He was not a strong character. At the end of season 1 the series did get a lot better. It wasn't until maybe just before Alexis arrived it got better. When Tom Carrington died. Around that time, maybe that episode up until the finale were really good. That's what they needed to stick with. Stuff like that. They got into Liam and Adam and Alexis looking like Fallon and it's just not doing it for me.

14. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    Yep. Season 1 since Alexis arrival till the finale was good (and very good sometimes)
    Season 2 was bad to average till episode 13, 14, 15 which were very good imho (in NuDynasty standards, of course) 16 and 17 were good, till Fallexis reveal, which was the stupidest recast idea ever. I get that the writers/producers wanted to create some buzz. And they had some reactions on social networks. But it backlashed, and not in a good way. Even if Gillies did a great job impersonating NS Alexis, the concept was so dumb that it was very, very hard to keep the very last bits of credibility of the show (not that it had much)...

If we "forget" the reveal, we had 5 good/very good episodes in a row. So that's why I keep watching this weird incarnation of Dynasty. Even if I complain a lot about the writing (the lack of consequences, the lack of consistency, the lack of balance, the lack of a moral compass) I enjoy the show.

Even if the show is schizophrenic. How can they write a great episode 15, with such a dark ending (Adam putting Alexis' face in fireplace !) and follow up with no emotional consequences (no body cared that she was burned. Fallon was even making joke about it)... No compassion, no decent human reactions... Alexis being happy with her new look, and suddenly feeling very confortable with the one who burned her face in the first place... I mean, no real human being can react like they all do.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    I like your thinking but would find it highly unlikely. If Peach Dynasty is faring better on Netflix then they'd keep the same creative team. It makes perfect sense right? Are we to accept The CW Executives have creative control over Peach Dynasty? If so that's a recipe for disaster, which could explain a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    Medals:
    I'm not sure it'd be an entirely different show but the moment this landed on The CW I knew there'd be a lot of, let's say, CW-isms.

Such as an obsession with Instagram/social media, "gif"-able moments, Fallon's love life or rather pandering to "shippers" and so on are classic CW that I knew would happen. I did laugh when someone commented on the Nancy Drew reboot they're doing that "please don't turn this into a romantic dramedy"; yeah, that's going to happen so they better be ready. I could spend week after week complaining about these tendencies, but that's a bit like complaining about CBS being full of formulatic procedurals.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    I think (true or not) that Nathalie Kelley's departure was a network decision.
    I'm sure that James Mackay's departure was a network decision. The writers voiced their disagreement.

So far, both were bad decisions imo. Brenda is not embraced by the viewers like they had hoped for. And for some reasons, she doesn't fit as well as Nathalie. She's a good soap actress, and I love some details she gives when she's in the background (she's not static) but yet, she has a certain "I don't belong here" vibe...

Steven was a moral compass to Sam. They didn't had a sexual chemistry, but I could buy that they could be good to each other and complementary. A kind of love/friendship. The fun high spirited and superficial Sam was a balance to the earth-grounded and devoted humanitarian working Steven.

If the show was a Netflix exclusive, I tend to think that both Kelley and Mackay were still on board.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    Medals:
    I also think there would be more effort at doing a straight drama rather than this flip-flopping between drama and sarcasm/smirky comedy. I would like to think Netflix people would want the show to be more like original Dynasty's style (in terms of redoing a lot more of their plotlines), though I might just be engaging in wish-fulfillment.

I totally agree that the show would be better off with Steven, and I would have preferred they keep OG Cristal, though that ship has likely sailed. Maybe the lengths they've gone to with Steven (writing him out but keeping him alive off-screen, keeping Sam in limbo) reflect their hope they can bring him back, keeping their options open. They certainly did not keep the option open with OG Cristal!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    I don't have access to The CW but I am aware of their catalogue of shows so I do get your point about why Peach Dynasty may, or not, have been a good fit. In this case The CW version of a modern story-telling of Dynasty has failed. If the producers wished to tell a contemporary story of Fallon battling in the corporate world it would have been best to have her reside in Atlanta rather than staying at home and battling with the family. However, this would then negate the story of a Dynasty which it has also failed to tell. This version is just all over the place plot wise and doesn't appear to have a central running theme running through its veins.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    But here is the Catch 22. The writers placed the characters of Cristal/Celia and Steven in an unlikeable position. The early focus groups responded accordingly and so did the network. But the writers/producers voiced their concerns? An odd predicament.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1