British Telecom and their awful call centres.

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Swami, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    I have been having terrible trouble with my landline/broadband and I am fed up to the teeth of being fobbed off by British Telecom and passed off to their Indian call centres.

How can someone in Indian seriously detect a fault in rural Northern Ireland?

Why, oh why can't there be local call centres with local knowledge?

If the situation was reversed, in no way would I be confident about dealing with a query with a customer from India (I emphasise this is a criticism of BT's policy), so why are they providing such a poor service?

Swami

2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    Finally, with a lot of complaining, the fault now appears to be fixed.

Mind you, an adviser phoned me earlier to offer me £1.36 of a rebate after three months' disruption.

I don't think so!

Swami

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,504
    I switched from BT to Virgin and was dreading phoning BT to cancel my contract a few years ago - due to bad experience of not being able to understand the person or their accent at the end of a phone in India on 2 occasions since 2000

When I cancelled i was pleasantly surprised to get someone with an English accent from England and they told me they were moving more work to UK

Your rebate doesnt sound great @Swami!!!! I think when there was an issue with mine back in 2000 i got a free month

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    Given the level of disruption I think at the very least I should be rebated the full quarterly bill.

Swami

5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    I was today offered the derisory sum of £30 by way of compensation for three months' disruption. I suppose it was a bit of improvement from £1.36.

Swami

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,687
    Most companies here in Australia have their call centres based in India. Thankfully my Bank has their call centre based in Australia. When I decided to switch from Broadband to NBN (National Broadband Network) I was dreading contacting my Telco only because of the horrid experiences I've heard from others. But I decided to be smart and instead logged into my account and used the online chat service. As soon as I typed I wished to switch from Broadband to NBN they gave me a phone number. I spoke with a lovely lady based in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was a smooth transition, something I wasn't expecting. I now tell everyone else to use the online chat service rather than trying to ring.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    Surely it isn't too much to expect a bit of common sense, in order to solve a local problem, surely it makes far more sense to have local call centres manned by local people with local knowledge?

Swami

8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,687
    Common sense would tell us that but if these companies are beholden to shareholders the board of directors will find ways of maximising returns to those shareholders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    Very true, unfortunately.

That seems to be the guiding principle for them, rather than customer care.

Swami

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,687
    The slightest sniff a company is not doing the right thing by me I walk or close my wallet. I once walked into a car dealership during my hour lunch break. For 35 minutes I walked around the dealership eyeing off a particular car (brand new) I had researched and had my heart set on. I noticed one couple sitting down with a salesperson however there were others (salespeople) milling about. I was ready to deal. Not one person approached me so I walked. I was so incensed I went home that afternoon and sent their head office an email outlining my frustration. I always keep my emails polite. I asked them not to bother replying because I had taken my business elsewhere.

My current issue is with ancestry, that massive genealogy company. After subscribing to them for just over 10 years as a World Subscription Member I recently discovered they are offering new subscribers the same package for half price. Again I was so so annoyed I promptly cancelled my subscription and politely informed them why. That was just over a week ago. Haven't heard peep from them. Perhaps they are under the impression I'll change my mind. That will be a big fat NO!

What's that saying we've heard so many times on our favourite soaps? "Don't get mad, get even."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,753
    Agreed!

Swami

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)