1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ome, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,936
    Britain is to ban all new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040 amid fears that rising levels of nitrogen oxide pose a major risk to public health.

[​IMG]

The commitment, which follows a similar pledge in France, is part of the government’s much-anticipated clean air plan, which has been at the heart of a protracted high court legal battle.

The government warned that the move, which will also take in hybrid vehicles, was needed because of the unnecessary and avoidable impact that poor air quality was having on people’s health. Ministers believe it poses the largest environmental risk to public health in the UK, costing up to £2.7bn in lost productivity in one recent year.

Ministers have been urged to introduce charges for vehicles to enter a series of “clean air zones” (CAZ). However, the government only wants taxes to be considered as a last resort, fearing a backlash against any move that punishes motorists.

“Poor air quality is the biggest environmental risk to public health in the UK and this government is determined to take strong action in the shortest time possible,” a government spokesman said.

“That is why we are providing councils with new funding to accelerate development of local plans, as part of an ambitious £3bn programme to clean up dirty air around our roads.”

The final plan, which was due by the end of July, comes after a draft report that environmental lawyers described as “much weaker than hoped for”.

The environment secretary, Michael Gove, will be hoping for a better reception when he publishes the final document on Wednesday following months of legal wrangling.

A briefing on parts of the plan, seen by the Guardian, repeats the heavy focus on the steps that can be taken to help councils improve air quality in specific areas where emissions have breached EU thresholds.

Measures to be urgently brought in by local authorities that have repeatedly breached EU rules include retrofitting buses and other public transport, changing road layouts and altering features such as roundabouts and speed humps.

Reprogramming traffic lights will also be included in local plans, with councils being given £255m to accelerate their efforts. Local emissions hotspots will be required to layout their plans by March 2018 and finalise them by the end of the year. A targeted scrappage scheme is also expected to be included.

Some want the countrywide initiative to follow in the footsteps of London, which is introducing a £10 toxic “T-charge” that will be levied on up to 10,000 of the oldest, most polluting vehicles every weekday.

2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    Medals:
    It's quite a precarious time for car buying as things really are turning around.

For example, with the emphasis on emissions in recent history, diesels have fallen into lower tax brackets, with the smallest and most efficient having zero road tax. Reading up on it recently, it seems that is likely to change big time, with the emphasis changing again from emissions to particulates. This could mean huge penalties for diesel drivers.

I've always driven petrol-fuelled cars but have become open to the point that my next car was likely to be a diesel. As it is, I'll be sticking with petrol out of safety.

3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    I know 2040 seems a long time away but they still need to do a lot more work with electric cars before petrol and/or diesel could be removed completely. Very few electric cars on the market today have any kind of significant range (possibly the Tesla range is the obvious exception but they're £70,000+ minimum) and even with government grants towards the overall purchase, buying costs at present for most electric cars are very steep. Not only that, but in the case of the Nissan Leaf, depreciation is a huge factor - £23000 new, after three years worth £3800.

I know I wouldn't want to take that kind of hit. Until I can be convinced otherwise, I will stay with diesel (first choice) or petrol (second choice).

Swami

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    So nice to know we don't have all of you over here.

5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    I don't drive because I'm concerned about pollution and the effect of emissions on the environment so I'm pleased about this news. Electric cars, and more importantly increased emphasis on public transport, is the way forward if we care about the future of our planet.

6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
    Diesel and petrol cars will still be around after 2040 - it's just that new vehicles being produced after 2040 won't be allowed to be powered by diesel or petrol. But you can still drive around in your petrol car in 2050.

Volvo is doing the same. But faster. In 2019, all new produced Volvo cars will either be hybrids or electric cars. That's only 1,5 years in the future. Volvo is soon going to present 5 new models for this huge change.

I say it's a very good change! The population will only increase, and people will need to move around more and more. We can't keep going with diesel or petrol much longer before the air gets bad. Sweden, however, is one of the most clean countries so we don't really need to hurry things up. But I find it very refreshing to see it happen anyway.

Call me crazy, but I want my air and water very clean. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    Medals:

Yes. In a way this is almost a non-story. It's plain that a healthy percentage of us will be driving electric cars in two decades' time.

More and more electric cars are coming onto the market and are being bought and making them more available which is starting to push prices down. They are becoming more efficient, too, with ranges increasing.

Already there are some really beautiful cars out there which perform well. I'd seriously consider a BMW i3 when they improve the range on them (an i8 would be nice, but is way out of my budget :D). Range anxiety is still a thing, of course. But I've no doubt both the range and charging methods will become more and more efficient over the coming years.