Both versions of the "Steven is gay" scene

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    Need we say more?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,381
    Medals:
    It's strange watching these scenes back to back. When they originally aired I had no problem with Jack Coleman taking over the role of Steven but seeing this you realise just how much better Al Corley was suited to the part. He had more of an edge and a greater sense of danger. You could imagine Al Corley's Steven dropping the vase to make his point whereas Jack Coleman's version was more likely to hand it to Joseph for polishing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    Medals:
    At least Blake's pronunciation of "vase" is classier in the Coleman version. Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    In the first version, Steven looks at Krystle, not at Fallon, when her sister says "he's gay". That's because Linda Evans said that line when it was shot. But the producers did not like the result so they reshot the line with Pamela Sue Martin (the rest of the scene was not reshot, obviously).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,381
    Medals:
    That's an interesting observation. I wonder why he pronounced it the English way the second time around?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,071
    Medals:
    Because the show was riddled with insecurity at this time and was just much more affected by then. That or maybe Joan just passive aggressively corrected him.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    Medals:
    I'm disappointed they didn't re-record it with Emma Samms.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    I, for one, had a problem with the recasting -- and the way the scene was re-shot -- immediately...

Coleman aside, I could accept the second version's restaging as being a character's subjective memory of the event, almost like a dream. But the show's other burgeoning creative problems as Season 3 set sail prevented me from so excusing it. Just as it was hard to excuse the video of Blake threatening Logan Rhinewood with a blue wall behind him -- demonstrably not the way the scene originally happened. (Why couldn't they reframe the original footage for Cecil's video, or, barring that, reshoot it with a black oriental screen behind Blake -- which would have been closer to the original).

And I'm just fine with Corley not dropping the vase -- if he had, my sympathy for him would have flown out the window.

Correct. For the longest time, I'd wondered why Krystle didn't say "Steven is gay" and why Steven#1 looked back at her and not Fallon. But then I learned that they gave the line to PSM because everybody giggled when Linda said it (very easy to picture). But in a way, Fallon saying it makes more sense: Krystle actually acknowledging homosexuality in word just doesn't seem possible, an empty-armed madonna too chaste and reticent to quite go there.

That said, I liked early Krystle wandering around the mansion in a series of ball gowns. Those little suits and infantilized outfits and jumpers she wore later were, mostly, dreadful.

[​IMG]
    "I'm going out for the mail, bitches...!"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +799
    I watched season 3 last week, and yes, Coleman's version of Steven is really inferior to Al's.
    I'm watching season 4 right now, Coleman is so stiff, and looks always ungrateful. Al's Steven was warmer, and brought more emotions on screen. Al's Steven had this kind of sadness in him, this melancholia that really strikes any time I see him. Coleman's Steven is... a bit robotic. And if remember well, it gets worst, in later seasons.

About season 4, Alexis & Dex are really that kind of Jersey Shore odd couple. All they do is hump and punch each other. As Stan says in South Park :D :
    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0a52c8a9-4ca2-4b85-b5fb-5b1ecffc47f9

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    I think the camera should be tilted diagonally in the Season 3 relived version of the scene. That would make it clearer that it's a memory which may or may not be accurate, and explain why Blake said "vaahz" the second time around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    It is kind of sad they re-shot that scene in such a bizarre way--and I mean bizarre as in with Coleman.
    That scene, while born out of Corley's disagreement with the network's/Spelling's straightening of Steven and his imminent departure, corrected the season-long mistake of Steven with Sammy Jo, and I would argue even covered his affair with Claudia, all as part of Steven wanting to please his father and live that life. Also, while DYNASTY often had pedantic episode titles, this episode's "The Two Princes" is particularly apt, with LB crying at the end of Steven's scene.

I think Emma Samms was horrible on COLBYS because of the COLBYS team, but on DYNASTY she gave her own version of Fallon in seasons 8 and 9. But Coleman did not give his own version of Steven. Instead, his character was like a third son Blake had.

DYNASTY was incredibly cavalier about recasts. True, the demand that Steven be cured of his homosexuality (completely, which we mercifully never saw materialize thanks to Corley refusing to play it) came from the network, and not the producers. But they, Esther Shapiro included, thought it was not a fight worth having and at the time they even tried to rationalize it to Corley by saying he would have more plots to play as a straight man. And when Corley refused, they started saying that he was fired "for badmouthing the show" (per their planted 1982 People article).

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    Which is why I always wanted Coleman to eventually be revealed to be Ben Reynolds after all. Seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    But he really did. He said in an radio interview something like "Dynasty is garbage". Then he was summoned up to Douglas Crammer's office and they allegedly had a big argument.

14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,771
    Medals:
    I think it does look and sound kinda nightmarish, as if not only Steven but all the Carringtons have been body-snatched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    The Cramer/Corley argument was discussed in a special about the show, either the TV Guide or E one.
    Yet the 1982 radio interview was in the context of what Corley said was the loss of the first season's verisimilitude, citing some soapy plots and Steven's straight conversion among them. Even Shapiro (who kept in touch with Corley and did the season 1 DVD commentary with him) eventually admitted that Corley was right about what they wanted to do to his character but she blamed it all on the network (a woman who was herself an ABC executive in the 70s, mind you).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    Like the dream they apparently filmed in Season 3 where Alexis was The Angel of Death taking away Krystle's baby -- but the scene was cut.

What a great DVD extra: Alexis' Angel of Death baby-snatch, along with Alexis' coronation as Moldavia's queen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,771
    Medals:
    And George Peppard as Blake!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    DYNASTY DVDs were not that rich on extras, regrettably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,829
    Medals:
    Oh how I would love to see that! I bet it's camp as Christmas.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Season 2, not 3. In the episode "The miscarriage". They just kept the part with Toscanni comforting Krystle.
    The dream was replaced by a scene with Alexis phoning to the hospital to have some news about Krystle's condition.

In the same episode, they also reshot the scene at the pool with Claudia and Toscanni, for whatever reason. I guess the producers wanted Pamela Bellwood to wear a sexier swimsuit. Her bathroom was different in both versions (blue for the unseen version - but a promo picture was kept - and pink for the version we had).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1