SoapChat Standards "Because The Night"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Kalikimaka, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    Next standard...
    Life On Mars?

[​IMG]

Suggested by @Ome, "Life On Mars?", also known as "(Is There) Life On Mars?", is a song by written by David Bowie whose original rendition first appeared on the 1971 album Hunky Dory.

In 1968, Bowie wrote the lyrics "Even a Fool Learns to Love", set to the music of a 1967 French song "Comme d'habitude". Bowie's version was never released, but Paul Anka bought the rights to the original French version and rewrote it into "My Way". The success of the Anka version prompted Bowie to write "Life On Mars?" as a parody of Sinatra's famous 1969 recording. Bowie noted that Rick Wakeman "embellished the piano part" of his original melody and guitarist Mick Ronson "created one of his first and best string parts" for the song.

The liner notes for Hunky Dory say the song was "inspired by Frankie". One reviewer suggested the song was written after "a brief and painful affair" with actress Hermione Farthingale. While on tour in 1990, Bowie introduced the song by saying "You fall in love, you write a love song. This is a love song.

With cryptic lyrics, the song has been described by by BBC Radio 2 as "a cross between a Broadway musical and a Salvador Dalí painting". The line "Look at those cavemen go" is a reference to the song "Alley Oop", a one-off hit in 1960 for American doo-wop band The Hollywood Argyles.

Bowie summed up the song as "A sensitive young girl's reaction to the media." In 1997, he added: "I think she finds herself disappointed with reality... although she's living in the doldrums of reality, she's being told that there's a far greater life somewhere, and she's bitterly disappointed that she doesn't have access to it."

When released as a single in 1973, Bowie's version reached #3 in the UK Singles Chart and stayed on the chart for thirteen weeks. The song re-entered the UK charts at #55 over thirty years later, largely because of its use in the original British television series Life On Mars. It also belatedly became a Top Ten hit in France in 2013.

"Life On Mars" has been covered many times, including... Barbra Streisand (1974); The King's Singers (1975); Anni-Frid Lyngstad ("Liv på Mars?", 1975); The London Symphony Orchestra (1977); Marti Webb (1985); Cæcilie Norby (1996); Anggun (1998); Jasper Steverlinck and the Kolacny Brothers (2002); Seu Jorge (2004); The Dresden Dolls (2008); VAMPS (2009); Keren Ann (2010); Momus (2015); Trey Songz (2016); Joanna Forest (2017).

Over a hundred and thirty versions can be found here. Explore, enjoy and then list your favourites in this thread. Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices.

We'll bring voting to a close next Wednesday night after which our favourite version will be revealed.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,600
    I'd love to explore this one.

If I haven't posted in her by Tuesday, please give me a nudge :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Long Christmas Stockings

Long Christmas Stockings Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,240
    Unfortunately I think I might have chosen a song which isn't popular with anyone else.

Although, I am very happy to have the luxury of having chosen the definitive favourites. Thank you @Mel O'Drama for organising that round, which in the end was just for me :D

I can't wait to get started on this one!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,814
    Well, if you put it like that….:lol:

1. Buddha Of Suburbia Band
    It has such a warm, seventies sound - as if it were taken from a 70s children movie à la The Snowman or Watership Down.

2. Aneurin Barnard
    I love the baroque sound of this version, if Queen had covered it I imagine it would be somewhat like this.

3. ORCO
    There's some chaos and confusion going on that seems to fit this song, as if something went terribly wrong "up there".
    Maybe someone lost his heart to a starship trooper, who knows?

4. Anggun
    No particular reason, I just like it very much and also a little bit more than #5.

5. David Bowie
    Alas, not my personal favourite, eventhough he's probably the only one who sang it exactly the way he meant it. But such are the trappings of the Standards thread.
    It's a great song and there's a lot to play with, instrumental wise. Vocal wise I prefer to keep it to the point, whatever that point may be.
    I see "Mars" and I start to create my own story, but I don't think David Bowie would object to that.

6. Ituana
    Very cool, it reminds me of Ladytron.

7. Obsession
    A pumping NRG version, shameless but fun. The vocals are not so bad either.

8. The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
    As pompous and bombastic as the Star Wars theme. Although it sounds more like a score (used for certain scenes) rather than the main theme.

9. Jessica Lange
    But not without the context of that fascinating character.

10. Wall Street Crash
    Underlined for consistency.

p.s. I really wanted to like La Vie En Mars, it's not bad but not good enough to be a standard version (imho)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Me too, i already know how's gonne be my #1 and 2, and can't wait to hear the rest of the other versions of "Life On Mars" :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Long Christmas Stockings

Long Christmas Stockings Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,240
    If anyone asks me what my favourite song is or who is my favourite singer I always reply -“I haven’t got one, I enjoy so many songs/artists and sometimes change my mind.” - If my life depended on an answer then it would be this song and Bowie. I can never over-hear this song or Bowie

1. David Bowie
    2. David Bowie Acoustic
    3. Lorde (In a couple of years or so Lorde might not be so high up my list, but right now I still get the same shivers as when I first heard her sing this along with Bowie's band, not long after he had passed away)
    4. Anggun
    5. Sarah Blasko
    6. Buddha Of Suburbia Thank you Willie
    7. The London Symphony Orchestra
    I enjoyed hearing Bowie's work played by a full orchestra, it shows what a genius he was.
    8. Aneurin Barnard
    9. Jasper Steverlinck

10.Steve Hogarth

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,600
  8. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    01. Barbra Streisand (before I found out that Bowie's version was the original one, I was already very familiar with Barbra's version and is still my most favorite).

02. David Bowie
    03. Cyberauts
    04. Hayley Sanderson
    05. Anne-Frid Lyngstad (swedisch version "Liv pa Mars")
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=life+on+mars+songs

06. Jessica Lange
    07. Yann Tiesen avec Neil Hannon
    08. The Flaming Lips
    09. Falcon Heavy
    10. Anggun

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    SoapChat's Martian exploration is over.

Four intrepid astronauts have re-entered Earth's atmosphere and reported twenty four significant discoveries involving twenty six unique lifeforms. Here is a copy of their official report about Life On Mars....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. David Bowie - 35
    2. Barbra Streisand - 16
    3. Anggun / Buddha Of Suburbia Band - 15
    4. Aneurin Barnard / Jessica Lange / ORCO - 12
    5. Lorde - 11
    6. David Bowie Acoustic / The Divine Comedy / Steve Hogarth - 9
    7. Cyberauts - 8
    8. Arcade Fire & David Bowie / Hayley Sanderson - 7
    9. Anna-Frid Lyngstad / Sarah Blasco - 6
    10. Ituana - 5
    11. The London Symphony Orchestra / Obsession / Yann Tiesen avec Neil Hannon - 4
    12. The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra / The Flaming Lips - 3
    13. Falcon Heavy / G4 / Jasper Steverlinck / Wall Street Crash - 2

For the second round in a row, it's a win for the originals. ​

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    Our next Standard will be along later this week.

Please take advantage of our other facilities during this intermission.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,814
    When can we expect the sequel?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    Sorry, Willie. That's restricted information. You're safer not knowing.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,814

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    After a bit of a summer break, we're back. Which means, sadly, I'll have to interrupt the epilepsy-inducing crickets.

Hope you find it worth the wait, Willie. The next one is your very own choice.

Our next Standard is...
    San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suggested by @Willie Oleson, "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)" is a song written by John Phillips of The Mamas & The Papas and and first recorded in 1967 by Scott McKenzie.

Phillips reported writing the song in around twenty minutes.

McKenzie's version, released in May 1967, was produced by Phillips and Lou Adler who used it to promote their Monterey International Pop Music Festival held in June of that year. John Phillips played guitar on the recording and session musician Gary L. Coleman played orchestra bells and chimes. The bass line of the song was supplied by session musician Jo Osborn.

The song became one of the best-selling singles of the 1960s in the world, reaching #4 on the US charts (where it remained for four weeks) and the #1 spot on the UK charts.

McKenzie's version of the song has been called "the unofficial anthem of the counterculture movement of the 1960s, including the Hippie, Anti-Vietnam War and Flower Power movements." In Central Europe, young people adopted "San Francisco" as an anthem for freedom, and it was widely played during Czechoslovakia's 1968 Prague Spring uprising.

The Bee Gees song "Massachusetts", about someone who has been to San Francisco but is now homesick for Massachusetts, is a reaction to this song.

Singer Johnny Hallyday recorded the song in French with the title "San Francisco". His version reached #5 in Wallonia (French Belgium) in 1967.

Other versions include those by Petula Clark (1967); Merrilee Rush (1968); Tanya Tucker (1979); and Ted Hawkins (1995).

Sixty five versions may be found here. Explore, enjoy, and list your favourites in this thread. Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices.

We'll bring voting to a close on Sunday night after which our favourite version will be revealed.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,751
    I'm only familiar with this version:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,814
    I've based my list of favourites on the feeling of "being invited" or "being tempted" although it was not a conscious decision.

1. Scott McKenzie
    Brilliant, magnificent, pure awesomeness.
    I'll quote the most liked comment posted on YouTube:
    "This song makes me sad. It's like an empty nostalgia for something I've not experienced".

2. Big Wig

Honestly, it doesn't deserve to be so close to #1, but like I said there weren't many favourites to choose from. Consider it my #7, because #2 to #6 are the missing standards.
    Yeah, I guess you could call it a generic dance cover. After East Side Beat's "Ride Like The Wind" and Undercover's "Baker Street" this was another classic that had-to-be-done.
    But there are good and bad generic dance covers, and I like this one.

3. Barbados
    From their album of sixties coverversions. This doesn't sound too ambitious, it's just a very lovely alternative version.

4. Orchester Bruno Bertone

An interesting instrumental version that features on a (what looks like a) bargain bin compilation LP.
    To be honest, I don't hear "San Francisco" anymore but I still have that feeling of being lured to some place, an American place.
    Come to think of it, it sounds a bit like the theme of "Little House Of The Prairie". Could this be the Californian spin-off?

5. Scott McKenzie (Matt Pop Remix)
    Normally I wouldn't include fanmade remixes, but Matt Pop is not exactly a bedroom DJ anymore and apparently most of his remixes are now available to purchase so that makes these mixes more "official".

6. Claus

Mainly because it's so obscure.
    upload_2018-7-13_2-33-28.png

And then the nice but not very special versions (imho):
    7. Petula Clark
    8. Catarina Valente
    9. The Starshine Orchestra & Singers
    10. Johnny Hallyday

That troublesome temptress! We'd probably end up in Dallas not wearing flowers in our hair at all.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    PURE SH#T!!!!!!!!!

18. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    01. Scott McKenzie (I always loves this version)

02. Roch Voisine (love his voice in this song)

03. Tanya Tucker
    04. Agents (Instrumental version)
    05. The Shadows
    06. Los Mustang (Spanish version)
    07. Bobby Solo (Italian version)
    08. Audrey Landers
    09. Petula Clark
    10. Johnny Hallyday (French version)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  19. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    It's been a prolonged stay in San Francisco...

We're almost a week overdue. And even that hasn't given me time to get my act together and listen to the different versions. Fortunately, two of you were on the ball and gave us seventeen versions by sixteen unique artists. What's more - it's a very significant win as will become clear.

Here are those results:

[​IMG]

1. Scott McKenzie - 20
    2. Big Wig / Roch Voisine - 9
    3. Barbados / Tanya Tucker - 8
    4. Agents / Orchester Bruno Bertone - 7
    5. Petula Clark / Scott McKenzie [Matt Pop Remix] / The Shadows - 6
    6. Claus / Los Mustang - 5
    7. Bobby Solo - 4
    8. Audrey Landers / Catarina Valente - 3
    9. Johnny Halliday / The Starshine Orchestra & Singers - 2

With ten points given by one hundred percent of voters, Scott has become the fifth artist in Standards history to achieve a FULL HOUSE! AND it's a hat-trick for the originals with this being the third consecutive win. Congratulations to Scott and thanks to our voters this time round.​

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,314
    Next up...
    Take Me Home, Country Roads

[​IMG]

Suggested by @Emelee, "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (also known as "Country Roads, Take Me Home" or "Country Roads") is a song written by Bill Danoff, Taffy Nivert and John Denver. It was first released as a single performed by Denver on 12th April 1971.

Danoff has stated he had never been to West Virginia before co-writing the song. The inspiration came while driving to a family reunion of Nivert's relatives along Clopper Road in Maryland. To pass the time en route, Danoff (then Nivert's husband) had made up a ballad about the little winding roads they were taking. He briefly considered using "Massachusetts" rather than "West Virginia" as both four-syllable state names would have fitted.

Originally, Danoff and Nivert had planned to sell the song to Johnny Cash but when they sang it for Denver he decided he had to have it. The three stayed up overnight, changing words and moving lines around. The song was premiered December 30, 1970 during an encore of Denver's set, with the singer reading the words from a folded piece of paper. This resulted in a five-minute ovation, one of the longest in Cellar Door history. They recorded it in New York City in January 1971.

Peaking at #2 on Billboard's US Hot 100 singles in late August, the song became one of John Denver's most popular and beloved songs and is considered his signature song. His version certified Gold in August 1971 and Platinum in 2017,

The song has a prominent status as an iconic symbol of West Virginia, which it describes as "almost Heaven".

Olivia Newton-John recorded a cover version in 1973 that reached the top 10 in Japan and #15 in the UK.

In 2001, the song was covered by Dutch pop band Hermes House Band. Released as "Country Roads", it was a chart success in Europe, reaching #2 in Germany and Ireland. It was a Top Ten hit in Austria, Denmark, and the United Kingdom.

Over a hundred and thirty versions in several languages can be found here. Have a rummage through and let us know your favourites.

Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices. Single song entries won't be counted. You're welcome to list more, but only the first ten will be counted, with the maximum ten points going to your #1 choice.

Everyone's welcome to join in. Let's say Saturday Tuesday night as the closing date to have our votes in. Have fun!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1