Bare essence

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Soaplover, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    The mini series just got uploaded to youtube the other day. The success of that mini series led to a short lived prime rime soap on NBC in early 1983.

Like all attempts at NBC, the show tanked either due to bad time slot, recasting of key parts, or how the show proceeded from the mini series to series.

From what Genie Francis said, she didnt think the show handled her character well since her character had gotten everything she worked for including her love interest by the end of the mini series.

Based on reading episode guides, even watching old episodes years ago that someone had uploaded on youtube. It appears that the show picks up after the mini series concludes..and promptly has the lead character Tyger become a widow in the 1st episode thus having her fight for her place in the company while her late husbands family bands against her.

In a way, the show opts to go with the premise that Dallad originally was planning for Pam (losing her husband at the start of the series/marriage and having to battle his family). Based on what i recall....Dallas changed their mind because it sidnt make sense for Pam to stay around to fight the family so early in her marriage to Bobby without any ties like a child. As we see with Bare Essence, we see that this plotline wouldnt have worked.

It makes me wonder if perhaps It would have been better to make the tv series start with Tyger coming into the lives of the Marshalls....a reboot of sorts of the mini series.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    I didn't know that. Was this when Dallas was the Untitled Linda Evans Project?

I have seen the Bare Essence mini-series, would love to see the sequel series with Jessica Walter.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    The sequel series is like the Holy Grail of primetime soaps for me. I'm mad that I just didn't try and watch it when the German episodes were online a few years ago. The user who uploaded the mini series on his channel has stated that he doesn't have the sequel series so the wait continues. Given what's been said about it, I'll probably be disappointed by it, but any show that has Jessica Walter and an opening sequence as OTT dramatic as it does, is good with me.

I watched the mini series and it feels just like a lot of the glitzier entries from that period. It has a good cast but in general is a pretty empty few hours. Much like how I felt about Sins and Hollywood Wives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Yes, some were better than others. I liked most of the Judith Krantz and Sidney Sheldon mini-series.
    I'm also a big fan of Arthur Hailey's work, but his novels don't translate very well to the screen, although I'd still watch "Wheels" if I had the chance (especially because Lee Remick is in it).

"Berrenger's" is another short-lived soap I'd love to see (just noticed someone has uploaded one full episode, probably a VHS recording from it's original run as I don't think it was ever shown a second time on SoapNet?).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    For some reason, Berrengers never grabbed my attention in the same way as the other 80's soaps. All of it was on YouTube a while back but the channel was deleted, only to be revived minus a lot of the drama series on it, so I'm presuming Berrengers was one of those that it was suspended over. Which is kind of laughable considering NBC are clearly never going to rerun it or release it on demand.

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    That seemed a logical thing to do, I guess. It moves the story forward, and it gives Tyger the opportunity to fight the wicked Ava (Chase had already done that).
    upload_2017-7-5_2-35-35.png

I just watched the mini-series on YouTube and I think it's a lovely early 80s time capsule, very romantic and lovely piano music and all that.
    The story itself is a bit of a lightweight compared to better mini-series like Mistral's Daughter and I'll Take Manhattan.
    I'm still not 100% sure if the mini-series was based on a novel, or that the book was simply a printed version of the movie.
    upload_2017-7-5_2-53-44.png
    In those days, when most tv shows were not available on video (let alone DVD), the only way to enjoy the story again was to read the book.
    My mother had "The Forsythe Saga", and the book was filled with images from the tv series! Obviously this was a reprint to cash in on the success of the tv-version.
    Most reprints use the artwork from the tv-series (based on original novels).
    upload_2017-7-5_3-49-51.png
    And then of course there were the DALLAS books by Burt Hirschfeld.
    But anyway.

BARE ESSENCE has some interesting characters but overall the movie is too shallow and edited to allow those characters to come to life, as it were.
    The heroine of the story, a tomboy from California turns businesswoman, unintentionally comes across as self-righteous and victim-y.
    Apparently the high society is evil, so it's very important that she reacts in a very appalled manner every time something happens.
    It doesn't really help that the actress emphasizes every word she speaks by using every facial expression possible.
    There were quite a few moments that I wanted to bitch-slap her.
    upload_2017-7-5_3-52-13.png
    Bitch-slap the plastering of make-up of her face.
    I like her much better on NORTH & SOUTH.

Personally I think Lee Grant was too good for this, but at least she handles the "camp" very well.
    upload_2017-7-5_3-19-54.png
    Despite being the show's glamorous villain, Ava is not a subtle or sophisticated woman. She reminds me of Brenda Vaccaro's portrayal of Julia Blake in PAPER DOLLS.
    Needless to say, she was the best part of the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1