1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Actors Barbara Bel Geddes Season 2 Credit

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Frank Underwood, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,137
    I've always thought it was odd that Barbara Bel Geddes only received her middle photo in the season 2 credits. Her side photos were of oil derricks and the Texas state flag. Does anybody know the reason behind it?

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    I have no idea however I noticed that immediately when I began to re-watch Lorimar Dallas from the beginning - very strange.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,674
    I always expect a sudden pull-back from those oil wells and that flag to reveal BBG, but it never happens.

My theory is this: since the miniseries theme design we see on DVD and in reruns is not the one originally used (it was done in 1984 just before the old DALLAS episodes went into syndication, and even that gets the "Dallas" title font completely wrong) the first episode of Season 2 (per DVD count) in fall of 1978 was the first episode to air with what we think of as the "classic" DALLAS opening (panels of Dallas shots moving right-to-left, and actor threeway split screen titles). So with Bel Geddes' title card listed first alphabetically, the original makers of the theme design (Wayne Fitzgerald?) may have seen her title card as the point in the design in which the cityscape shots 'transition' into the actor shots --- even though it denies BBG two side photos as she gets a hybrid, cuspy title card.

That makes little sense, but it may have been the artisitic reasoning behind the choice at the time. Obviously, they opted to correct it by the following year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 'V'

'V' Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +23
    [QUOTE
    My theory is this: since the miniseries theme design we see on DVD and in reruns is not the one originally used (it was done in 1984 just before the old DALLAS episodes went into syndication, and even that gets the "Dallas" title font completely wrong).[/QUOTE]

While I like your reasoning, I think you are mistaken about the mini-series titles being changed in 1984. I saw the BBC's repeats in 1980 of eps. 1,3 and 5 (I missed the start of ep.2 and they didn't include 4 in this rerun).

The first things I noticed were the different arrangement of the theme tune and the different logo, in small solid yellow letters, but WITH the split-screen. And there's no reason to think that these were different copies of the miniseries to the ones the BBC had shown in September 1978. So the split screen/small logo titles had already been put on the miniseries for the UK (can't say about other countries) within months of its original CBS run.

Also, wasn't it just the first three that had the other titles, and the last two always had the split-screen titles?

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,674
    This is a very degraded copy of the original 1978 miniseries opening theme: