1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Richard Channing, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,936
    Baby It's Cold Outside pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo
    [​IMG]
    The song was recorded for the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter and won an Oscar for Best Original Song in 1950.

It's a Christmas classic probably being played in shops and radio stations all over the world.

But a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio has decided to remove Baby It's Cold Outside from its playlist following complaints from listeners.

Local media report that listeners said the song was inappropriate and at odds with the #MeToo movement.

But a poll on the station's Facebook page showed a majority of respondents did not want the song banned.

Glenn Anderson, a host at the Star 102 station, blogged that although the song was written in a different era, the lyrics felt "manipulative and wrong".

"The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place."

Written by Frank Loesser in 1944, Baby It's Cold Outside has been covered by Lady Gaga, Michael Bublé, Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews and actors Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel in the movie Elf.

The tune takes the form of a back-and-forth conversation where a man tries to persuade his female guest not to risk the journey home in bad weather, but to have another drink and spend the night with him instead.

Normally performed as a duet between a man and a woman, it features lyrics such as:

"I simply must go (But baby it's cold outside)

The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)."

Another line, "Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)", is perhaps one of the most controversial, and has been interpreted by some as a reference to date rape.

Others, such as comedian Jen Kirkman, have pointed out that the phrase had a different meaning the the 1930s, and that the song was more complex than it might appear on the surface.

"I’m so tired of this. The song seems odd now not cuz it’s about coercing sex but about a woman who knows her reputation is ruined if she stays. “Say what’s in this drink” is an old movie line from the 30’s that means “I’m telling the truth.” She wanted to get down and stay over".

[​IMG]

Some feel the song should be nevertheless viewed through a contemporary lens.

"It really pushed the line of consent," Cleveland Rape Crisis Center President and CEO Sondra Miller told Fox News.

"The character in the song is saying 'no,' and they're saying well, 'Does no really mean yes?' And I think in 2018 what we know is consent is 'yes' and if you get a 'no', it means 'no' and you should stop right there."

With the debate raging on social media, some will likely continue to give the tune a cold reception during the Christmas season.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,947
    This crap never ends.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,911

Well, the upside is that I finally saw what the fuss was about Ricardo Montalbán, and he was indeed a dashing man younger. Sadly, the first time I saw him was as Khan on Star Trek, and then on The Colbys he looked quite the has been.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,081
    Well, they can do that, and disagree with it. And make a point, and post that on their facebook page.

But they have it banned so they don't have to disagree anymore and I think that's the real issue here. In our current society we're afraid to or no longer allowed to disagree.
    There's only room for one opinion, and the other one has to go. Better still, let's pretend the other opinion never existed at all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,911
    Media, especially, are afraid of "controversy" and "outrage," which are so easily drummed up over grave issues such as the lyrics of a 1949 Christmas song, so I can see why a radio station would rather pull it than be faced with a social media campaign, boycott, and what have you.

6. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,081
    Sorry, I don't.
    This is the beginning of NuFascism, radio stations ought to be the rebels in this scenario, not the sheepish followers.

Social media! Pff!
    Where have all the cowboys gone?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,911
    This is hardly the beginning. That happened back in the 90s, when radio stations in the US, and then the rest of the world, started censoring lyrics of songs played, and then record companies actually started releasing original and PG versions of songs. I mean, you can choose to play or not play a song, but this having your cake and eating it too was beyond ridiculous.

8. Richard Channing

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,936
    And cowgirls??? What about them?? I find this post offensive and deeply hurtful. #BoycottWillie

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Richard Channing

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,936
    Ricardo was quite the charmer back in the day. Long before the 'Krystle' hairdo, obviously.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,081
    Well I wouldn't expect them to play Nazi propaganda or hate crimes songs, or any song written with the intent to upset people (or worse), that's not what the casual listener wants to hear.
    That's not the same as finding ways to interpret something as foul or dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,842
    I find terms like "snowflake" and "PC Brigade" lazy and offensive. But terminally offended people like these make it difficult to rebut those terms.

Well he's correct about that.

Replace the phrase "given women the voice they deserve" with "created a culture in which anyone with a penis is assumed to have an evil agenda" and he's correct about that too.

Anyway - we already have three different versions in our current Member's Chosen Theme round over in music. I'm hoping sane minds prevail and one of them will win!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,911
    As I said, they can choose to not play the song. But to have them bleep out words (in the 90s), followed by PG-versions later is ridiculous. Fascism is always incremental.

13. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,911
    "A person could be indicted on charges of afflicting with witchcraft,[57] or for making an unlawful covenant with the Devil.[58] Once indicted, the defendant went to trial, sometimes on the same day, as in the case of the first person indicted and tried on June 2, Bridget Bishop, who was executed eight days later, on June 10, 1692."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

14. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,081
    But the artists were usually aware of that, hence the clean & explicit versions of songs. There's a reason why we have the rating system but that doesn't mean that X-rated is banned, it's just not suitable for family programmes.

15. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,911
    No, these came after. Initially they were themselves bleeping and edited lyrics their audience would find offensive. Then they institutionalized their censorship.

16. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,081
    Oh well, maybe it was different in dirty Europe.

17. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,947
    Ooooooooo -- dirty Europe. I want to go to there...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,014
    I was in a play called Baby It's Cold Outside AND I played a lesbian! :omg:

:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    One can never be sure where the ladies of the View are going to land on things like this, but they actually went the rational route. As Whoopi says, "Please lighten up on this."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,506
    What I hear when I hear this song is a couple about to fall in love, but the woman is afraid her reputation will be ruined if she spends the night with her new boyfriend who she isn't married to. The woman in the lyrics is just listing reasons why people may think bad of her for staying over at her new boyfriend's place.

That doesn't apply to our society anymore. We don't care if one is married or just dating. So she comes off as a little prudish. No one cares if you have sex with your boyfriend without being married. No one will think less of you. If you want to stay over - stay over.

So those who complain are (in my book) much too overly sensitive and interprets the song wrong.

The date rape theory to the "what's in the drink?" line just comes off silly. She's obviously wanting to know what type of alcohol is in it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2