Discussion in 'Music' started by Ome, Oct 1, 2016.
Pointless... Just chuck the crown at Frida. Queen of Sass!
Aha, but Agnetha is queen of The Day Before You Came.
It had to be her!
Thanks @Ome, that makes it clearer, some artists release a b-side sometimes as a single but after my knowledge it happens very rare, so we just keep the A-sides as singles releases.
I agree @Ome, we all know which song will make the list and not, so it's a great idea to make these kind of list for unknown songs.
Well than i all ready know which will make the #1 spot.
1. Our Last Summer
2. On And On And On
3. Me And I
4. The Piper
5. The Way Old Friends Do
6. As Good As New
7. Hole In Your Soul
8. When I Kissed The Teacher
9. Hey Hey Helen
10. My Love My Life
After Gold and More Gold, I'd have liked an Even More Gold seeing as there was more than enough for a track list made up of songs that had been singles somewhere. I'd have bought that, just for singles completeness sake.
Also, at the time I assumed all the tracks on More Gold had been singles. As wonderful as the (4?) non singles are, it annoys me that they're on there.
1. Me And I
2. Our Last Summer
3. If It Wasn't For The Night
4. Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
5. When I Kissed The Teacher
6. I Let The Music Speak
7. The King Has Lost His Crown
8. I Wonder (Departure)
9. I Am Just A Girl
10. I Am The City
1. Why Did It Have to Be Me?
2. The King Has Lost His Crown
3. Me and I
4. The Way Old Friends Do
5. Dum Dum Diddle
7. The Piper
8. I Let the Music Speak
9. One Man One Woman
10. If It Wasn't for the Nights
1. My love my life
2. Dance (while the music still goes on)
3. Me and I
4. As good as new
5. When I kissed the teacher
6. Hasta manana
8. If it wasn't for the nights
10. Crazy world
Also I would be up for listing songs from Agnetha and Frida's solo careers but would prefer one round for Frida and another for Agnetha. There is enough good songs to do both.
With not as many album tracks as we first thought
7 voted on 37 songs
Here’s what happened after we voted
1. Me and I = 46
2. Our Last Summer = 31
3. If It Wasn't for the Nights = 24
4. The Way Old Friends Do / My Love, My Life = 23
5. The Piper = 21
6. Like An Angel Passing Through My Room / I Let The Music Speak / When I Kissed The Teacher = 15
7. Why Did It Have to Be Me? = 14
8. The King Has Lost His Crown = 13
9. Soldiers / Dum Dum Diddle / As Good As New = 12
10. I Am the City = 10
11. On and On and On / Dance [While the Music Still Goes On] = 9
12. Lovers (Live A Little Longer) / Another Town Another Train = 8
13. Reina Danzante = 7
14. What about Livingstone? / One Man One Woman = 6
15. Andante, Andante / I'm A Marionette / Two For the Price Of One / Hasta Manana = 5
16. Conociéndome, Conociéndote / Hole in Your Soul / Disillusion = 4
17. I Wonder (Departure) = 3
18. Suzy-Hang-Around / Hey Hey Helen / I Am Just a Girl / Cassandra = 2
19. Mamma Mia [Spanish Version] / Me and Bobby and Bobby’s Brother / Crazy World = 1
Simon Vs Garfunkel
This round we are looking at the solo work from these two guys. As always, if you have ten favourites from both sides, then please post the two lists and I will include them in the final tally
Paul Frederic Simon (born October 13, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter and actor. Simon's musical career has spanned seven decades, with his fame and commercial success beginning as half of the duo Simon & Garfunkel (originally known as Tom & Jerry)
Simon began a successful solo career, recording three acclaimed albums over the next five years. In 1986, he released Graceland, an album inspired by South African township music, which sold 14 million copies worldwide on its release.
Arthur Ira Garfunkel (born November 5, 1941) is an American singer, poet, math teacher and actor. He is best known for his partnership with Paul Simon in the folk rock duo Simon & Garfunkel.
Highlights of his solo music career include a top 10 hit, three top 20 hits, six top 40 hits, 14 Adult Contemporary top 30 singles, five Adult Contemporary number ones, two UK number ones and a People's Choice Award. Through his solo and collaborative work, Garfunkel has earned eight Grammys, including a Lifetime Achievement Award
The doctor approves.
Hm, this was not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.
Art's songs are all coverversions and those songs that I like aren't better than the original performances (e.g. "Watermark" by Richard Harris or "Breakaway" by Lyle & Gallagher).
So that leaves me with Bright Eyes - which I liked as a child - but somehow over the years it has morphed into a guilty pleasure, and now in 2018 it almost sounds like a parody.
Post-S&G Paul Simon doesn't sound like S&G at all (OK, why should he?) but I've managed to find some good tunes.
But all that happy tribal and pina colada stuff (basically, from the Graceland album onwards) isn't my cup of tea.
Sooo....anway, that's why my meager top 5 looks like this:
1. Train In The Distance (PS)
2. Kodachrome (PS)
3. Duncan (PS)
4. Take Me To The Mari Grass (PS)
5. Bright Eyes (AG) - for nostalgia's sake
I'm kind of immune to Paul Simon. The only solo thing of his I really like is '50 Ways to Leave Your Lover' and even then I prefer Cilla Black's Saturday night TV version:
Art Garfunkel top 10:
1. Why Worry
2. All I Know
3. Perfect Moment
4. I Only Have Eyes For You
5. Crying In The Rain (with James Taylor)
6. Bright Eyes
7. Some Enchanting Evening
8. Barbara Allen
10. Scissor Cut
Paul Simon top 10:
1. You Can Call Me Al
2. Father and Daughter
3. Still Crazy After All These Years
4. The Obvious Child
5. Mother and Child Reunion
8. The Boy In the Bubble
9. Me and Julio by the Schoolyard
10. Born at the Right Time
Oops, I found a trash-y dancecover in my collection. But it's really not my fault, one of my enemies must have put it there. To discredit me.
The majority my choices are Art Garfunkel. Paul Simon's solo work rarely speaks to me.
All I Know [AG]
I Only Have Eyes For You [AG]
Goodnight, My Love [AG]
Sometimes When I'm Dreaming [AG]
Bright Eyes [AG]
The Sound Of Silence [PS]
Since I Don't Have You [AG]
Crying In The Rain [AG with James Taylor]
You Can Call Me Al [PS]
A Heart In New York [AG]
1. The Boy in the Bubble [PS]
2. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard [PS]
3. Mother and Child Reunion [PS]
4. The Obvious Child [PS]
5. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes [PS]
6. Bright Eyes [AG]
7. You Can Call Me Al [PS]
8. Graceland [PS]
9. Why Worry [AG]
10. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover [PS]
01. Bright Eyes (AG)
02. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (PS)
03. Beyond The Tears (AG)
04. Mother and Child Reunion (PS)
05. Still Grazy After All These Years (PS) (I do love Karen Carpenter's version to)
06. Crying In My Sleep (AG)
07. You Can Call Me Al (PS)
08. The Same Old Tears On A New Background (AG)
09. Graceland (PS)
10. Take Me Away (AG)
I was going to break up for my holidays after doing these two guys, but with the sad news of Aretha Franklin, I'm going to give S&G another 24 hours and then make the last top ten all about Aretha.
With plenty of albums and singles between these two
5 voted on 34 songs 16 from Simon and 18 from Garfunkel
Here’s who came out top
1. Bright Eyes [AG] = 32
2. Mother & Child Reunion [PS] = 21
3. You Can Call Me Al [PS] = 20
4. All I Know [AG] = 19
5. I Only Have Eyes For You [AG] = 16
6. Still Crazy After All These Years [PS] / The Obvious Child [PS] = 14
7. Kodachrome [PS] / The Boy in the Bubble [PS] = 13
8. Why Worry [AG] = 12
9. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard [PS] = 11
10. Train in the Distance [PS] / 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover [PS] Graceland [PS] / = 10
11. Father & Daughter [PS] / Crying in the Rain [AG] = 9
12. Duncan [PS] Perfect Moment [AG] / Goodnight, My Love [AG] / Beyond the Tears [AG] = 8
13. Take Me to the Mari Grass [PS] / Sometimes When I'm Dreaming [AG] = 7
14. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes = 6
15. The Sound of Silence [PS] / Crying in My Sleep [AG] = 5
16. Some Enchanting Evening [AG] / Since I Don’t Have You [AG] = 4
17. Barbara Allen [AG] / The Same Old Tears on a New Background [AG] = 3
18. Lena [AG] = 2
19. Born at the Right Time [PS] / Scissor Cut [AG] / A Heart in New York [AG] / Take Me Away [AG] = 1
Separate names with a comma.