World Cup Qualification Round Australian Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    ACP was very good. I would’ve like that to be my 3=, hope it gets through :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    Home and Away, Prisoner and The Young Doctors have been appointment TV for me at times. I also very much enjoyed A Country Practice and The Sullivans. But since they’re all well represented in the votes, I’m going to go with a favourite and a couple of underdogs (the latter two based on how much I want to see the entire series).

1. Number 96
    [​IMG]

A memorable set of characters, and the ability to blend:

The mundane…

The melodramatic..

And the madcap…

(we've all been there)

2. The Box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A series whose reputation and cast have been in my consciousness for over three decades.

3. McLeod’s Daughters
    [​IMG]
    @Karin Schill piqued my interest in this series by mentioning it a while back. Seeing it nominated has reminded me to invest in the DVDs at some point. I like what I’ve seen of it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,077
    Medals:
    Not to mention the infamous sausage machine disaster.
    Number 96 successfully managed to combine soap with comedy, and it's a rare thing imho. The comedy itself wasn't the standard sitcom humour, it was often the bizarre result of the soap storylines, and many characters were inherently funny even without sitcom dialogue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    Indeed. It's a shame there are so few of these great scenes on YouTube.

Absolutely. Corrie's done it really well, and it's probably no coincidence that 96 was created by a Mancunian.

Yes. There were some fantastic character actors in there. The thing that made the series really click with me was Pat McDonald's face when Vera started speaking in tongues.

(I think sometimes they were also unintentionally funny. Like Les rushing round in the bomb scene above).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,077
    Medals:
    One of my favourite quasi-sadistically funny scenes is when Dorrie wakes up Flo by frenetically ramming on a pan, close to Flo's face. How infuriating is that?
    I could imagine something like this happening to Dorothy in The Golden Girls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    It's quite a cartoony thing to do, and all the better for it.

I'm due a rewatch of the DVDs soon. I've only watched each once. Maybe after S&D ends. Which at the rate I'm going will be in a fortnight. :oops:

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,077
    Medals:
    It's funny because I hadn't planned to start watching S&D. Come to think of it, it was your post about the first episodes that lured me to the YouTube videos.
    J'accuse vous, Mel Aux Drâmme!

My new DVD boxsets are piling up (Batman, Twilight Zone, The Brothers) but right now I don't even want to think about what I'm going to watch next. And then there's still Capricorn Crude which has been unceremoniously abandoned.
    It's quite a luxurious problem, isn't it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    Ah yes. But the thing is, I too hadn't planned to start watching. It was some comments by @Rove in the Aussie Soap Archive thread about the greatness of Patricia that lured me into rewatching the opening flashback. Then I just had to watch the extended opening episode. Then just one more. Until here I am with a ten a day habit, unable to quit. My social life is ruined, I have dark rings round my eyes like you would not believe and it's a struggle to digest my breakfast.

The defence rests.

It is indeed. But still a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Medals:
    A fact which hasn't gone unnoticed!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,077
    Medals:
    Ha, and I thought I was being so careful, quietly sneaking out in the middle of the night, Jill Bennett style.
    But after watching several Dallas clips for the soap battles I know I have to go back, it's really very good.
    I guess it's a blessing in disguise that netflix isn't offering any must-see TV at the moment (but if they do, DON'T tell me!)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The folks from A Country Practice are correct. Not long left before the poll closes at midday on Monday. Get your vote in before it's too late.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    The poll is now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The 3 Australian soap operas that qualified for the World Cup finals are as follows:

Home & Away - 10 points
    Number 96 - 10 points
    The Young Doctors - 9 points

Note: The Young Doctors and A Country Practice both scored 9 points but The Young Doctors went through because @Englishboy voted for that show before anyone else voted for A Country Practice. According to the rules of the contest, the casting vote goes to the first person who posted his or her choices.

Personally, I'm disappointed as I have a lot of affection for A Country Practice and it was the top choice in my votes. :(

The line up of Australian soap operas for the main game is now complete: Home and Away, Neighbours, Number 96, Return To Eden, Sons and Daughters and The Young Doctors.

[​IMG]

Thank you to everyone who nominated and voted in this round. Details of the final qualification round (The Rest of The World) will be posted tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    If I'm not mistaken, these are the Aussie soaps with the second, third and fourth highest number of episodes.

Both 96 and The Young Doctors held the record for longest running drama serial at the end of their respective runs (as did A Country Practice a little later, though with fewer episodes). And of course H&A is now by far the second longest-running Aussie soap.

So three deserving winners.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Medals:
    Bellbird is actually third with 1697 episodes under it's belt. It did only air 15 minute episodes for most of it's run though, so it may be shorter in terms of actual screentime but it is higher in terms of numbers of episodes than Number 96 and The Young Doctors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    It depends how you decide what makes a show the longest running. You can either measure the time from when the first episode was broadcast until the last, or use the total number of episodes.

When A Country Practice came off air it was the longest running Australian drama serial in terms of the span of time it was in production but as it was only screened twice a week it didn't broadcast as many episodes as dramas such as The Young Doctors and Number 96 which went out 5 days a week. In terms of screen time, A Country Practice also does better as its episodes were an hour long compared with 30 minutes for those other 2 shows. All 3 were subsequently beaten by Neighbours and Home and Away regardless of how you measure longevity.

But as you said, the 3 winners are deserving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Medals:
    For the purposes of determining which show is the longest running soap opera, the Australians base it on the total amount of screen time for each soap - calculated as number of episodes multiplied by the screen time for each episode.

Neighbours and Home and Away are the two longest running soaps using this methodology followed by A Country Practice (which had 1058 x 50 minute episodes) followed by The Young Doctors (which had 1397 x 25 minute episodes) followed by Prisoner Cell block H (which had 692 x 50 minute episodes).

Other long running soaps of note are Number 96 (which had 1218 x 25 minute episodes) and Sons and Daughters (which had 972 x 25 minute episodes).

• Like Like x 2