World Cup Qualification Round Australian Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Are you nominating it for the Australian round or do you want it included in the Rest of the World round?

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,077
    Medals:
    Yes, they're all kiwis aren't they?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    That's not how I view it. For the purpose of this World Cup:

Australian soaps = country of origin is Australia
    Rest of the World = country of origin is any country other than the UK, USA or Australia.

So you will be able to nominate Gloss in the next round.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]
    The 15 Australian soap operas nominated by forum members to take part in the vote to qualify for the knock out stages of the World Cup are as follows:

A Country Practice
    Bellbird
    The Box
    Breakers
    Home and Away
    McCleod's Daughters
    Number 96
    Pacific Drive
    Paradise Beach
    Prisoner Cell Block H
    The Restless Years
    Richmond Hill
    The Secret Life of Us
    The Sullivans
    The Young Doctors

Forum members are now requested to vote for which of these soap operas you would like to go through to the next round.

Please select up to THREE soap operas from the list above that you would like to go through to join Neighbours, Return To Eden and Sons and Daughters in the next round. Rank your choices from your favourite through to your third choice.

You may vote for any soap, including those your nominated. You don't have to remain loyal to your nominees and can choose to leave them out of your top 3 if you prefer.

You can still vote even if you haven't nominated.

Remember you are voting for your favourite soap operas or the soap opera you think deserves to do through. If you don't consider a particular show to be a soap opera, don't include it in your list.

You don't have to vote for 3 soaps but 3 is the maximum.

If you haven't seen all the programmes, I will shortly post a brief description of each soap opera which you may (or may not) find useful in deciding which soap to vote for.

You do not have to have seen a particular soap opera to vote for it, you just have to think it deserves to go through based on any criteria you think is appropriate.

You may add reasons for your votes but this is entirely optional.

Voting closes at midday on Tuesday 6th August.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

A Country Practice (1981 – 1994)
    The series followed the workings of a small hospital in the fictional New South Wales rural country town of Wandin Valley as well as its connected medical clinic, the town's veterinary surgery, RSL club/pub and local police station. The show's storylines focused on the staff, and regular patients of the hospital and general practice, their families, and other residents of the town. At the time of its cancellation, A Country Practice was the longest running Australian TV drama.

Classic Oz entertainment. - @Jock Og

Bellbird (1967 – 1977)
    Set in a rural farming community, the show's storylines examined the lives of the country folk in the fictional Victorian rural township called Bellbird.

A golden oldie from 'Down Under', which was originally broadcast from August 1967 to December 1977. A film spawned from this soap opera and there was also a novel. - @Jock Og

The Box (1974 – 1977)
    The show was a drama that examined the day-to-day running of a fictional Melbourne television station UCV-12 and followed the professional and personal lives of its staff, both in front of, and behind, the camera. The series was famous for its adult storylines, frequent nude glimpses, and sexual content.

I've never seen more than a few tantalising episodes, but it's held a fascination for me since I first read about it over thirty years ago. Judy Nunn as a bisexual predator giving Australian telly its first lesbian kiss? Count me in. - @Mel O'Drama
    Breakers (1998 – 1999)
    The series revolves around The Breakers building situated near Bondi Beach, and the lives of the people who work and live there. The building housed three businesses all run by the same family: Breaker's Modelling School, run by Paul Simmons, The Breaker, a local newspaper run by Eve, Paul's ex-wife, and Kate's Cafe, run by Kate Markham, Eve's sister.

In the late 90's, H&A and Neighbours still existed in their safe middle class bubbles where everyone was white & nobody was gay. Enter Breakers, the gritty Bondi based soap which was a breath of fresh air when it premiered. It followed the lives of a ragtag group of people who lived and worked in the eponymous Breakers building which housed a cafe, a newspaper and a modelling agency. It was unique in having a number of LGBT characters among it's leads and dealt with hard hitting issues that the other Aussie soaps of the time rarely touched such as living with HIV, drug abuse and the death of a child. Alas, it was essentially hidden from Australian audiences, as Network Ten aired it in afternoon and late night slots with no on air promotion for the show during it's entire run (in keeping with their policy of not promoting shows that aired outside primetime). The great hope was that UK audiences would embrace it as warmly as they did other Aussie soaps but after airing in the post-Neighbours slot on BBC1 for a while, it was unceremoniously shunted off to see out it's days in an early morning slot on the little watched BBC Choice. Thankfully, it got a full run on Irish TV, which is where I watched and loved it. - @Carrie Fairchild

Home and Away (1988 – Present)
    The series chronicles the lives, loves, happiness and heart-breaks of the residents of Summer Bay, a small coastal town just outside of Sydney in New South Wales, Australia. It is the second longest running TV drama series in Australian history.

Day time soap opera that my dad used to watch in the mid 1990s. - @Karin Schill

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

McCleod’s Daughters (2001 – 2009)
    The series follows the lives of Claire and Tess, half-sisters who are separated when Tess' mum leaves their father, Jack, when the girls are young. Twenty years later, Jack is dead and Claire is struggling to run his ranch on her own. Tess, now alienated from Claire, returns because she needs a place to stay. She is drafted to help her older sibling and the other women running the ranch: housekeeper Meg, her daughter Jodi, local resident Becky and later, friends Stevie and Kate.

This show was one of Aussie's most successful prime time soaps that was described as "Dallas down under" by the press. It's the story of two half-sisters who have grown up apart and who are reunited after their father dies and leaves them the farm "Drovers Run".
    Tess originally wants to sell her part in the farm but once she is reunited with Claire she decides to stay. On the farm is also the housekeeper and her teenage daughter Jodie. The Ryan family lives next doors with their two sons Alex and Nick. It's a great show that is a classic soap opera that has interesting storylines and couples to root for. It's about family and cattle and there's romance and good times but also sadness and hard times. - @Karin Schill

Number 96 (1972 – 1977)
    Number 96 was an Australian television nightly soap opera set in a fictional, small, four-storey, inner-city apartment block at 96 Lindsay Street. It was known for its ground-breaking sex scenes and nudity and for its comedy characters. The series was the first in the world to feature an openly gay regular character (Don Finlayson), and also the first to feature a transgender character played by a transgender actress (Carlotta). It was Australia's highest rating program for 1973 and 1974 and was so popular that it spawned a feature film adaptation, filmed in December 1973, which became one of the most profitable Australian movies of all time.

Despite the raciness of the early days (the first episode was promoted as “the night Australia lost its virginity” and evidence of the censors’ knives can be seen on the DVD of those early episodes, which are brutally and badly edited to cut out shots of hands on thighs or bare boobs) I far prefer what I’ve seen of the middle years of the series, where the sexual content was toned right down and it was basically Corrie Down Under, with wonderfully wacky earthy characters (including some from the North of England) mixed in with the younger prettier cast and some genuinely funny moments to balance out the heightened drama of its most famous plot: The Pantyhose Strangler.

Two full decades before the Melrose Place complex was blown up, a redhead gone bad did exactly the same thing on 96. And even Kimberly never thought to conceal hers in a box of olives. It’s also worth noting that the series was progressive and pioneering in a number of ways. Not least the sympathetic portrayal of a gay lead character who wasn’t messed up or comic relief. This was about a decade and a half before such a character would be regularly seen on British TV. - @Mel O'Drama

Pacific Drive (1996 – 2001)
    The series was conceived as a flamboyant, melodramatic soap opera which dealt with the lives of wealthy Australians living on the Gold Coast. Sometimes described as a copy of the American soap opera Melrose Place, the series became known for its outrageous storylines including corporate scheming, various affairs, serial killers and a lesbian love triangle.

Paradise Beach (1993 – 1994)
    The show was set around the lives of characters living and working on Queensland's Gold Coast.

Prisoner: Cell Block H (1979 – 1986)
    Also known as Prisoner and Caged Women, Prisoner: Cell Block H was a soap opera set in a fictional women's prison, called Wentworth Detention Centre, which was located in the fictitious Melbourne suburb of Wentworth. The series examined how women dealt with incarceration and separation from their families. The show's themes included feminism, homosexuality and social reform, interpersonal relationships, power struggles, friendships and rivalries. The prisoners became a surrogate family, with self-styled "Queen Bea", Bea Smith and the elderly "Mum" (Jeanette) Brooks emerging as central matriarch figures of the show.

Australian soap opera which in the black gloved legend, the freak, had the greatest villain of any soap opera ever. - @Englishboy

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The Restless Years (1977 – 1981)
    A soap opera which followed the lives of several Sydney school-leavers and young adults and had dramatic storylines involving murders, kidnapping, amnesia, blackmail, serial killers and prostitution among the more standard elements as teenage problems, unemployment, romance, jealousy, money-making schemes, and parental problems.

This has my fav Warren Blondell in it pre RTE and had a young Kim Lewis (so sweet) and Peter Phelps from S&D. - @Victoriafan3

Richmond Hill (1988 – 1989)
    This series was set in a small fictional Australian country town near Sydney and most of the scenes revolved around the local police station, a real estate agency, and the pub.

Richmond Hill last only 1988 but again had Warren Blondell as a policeman, Maggie Kirkpatrick from Prisoner look glam and Gwen Plumb from TYD as a farmer. - @Victoriafan3

The Secret Life of Us (2001 – 2005)
    The show revolves around a group of friends in their mid 20s to early 30s who live in a St Kilda block of flats. Their interaction with one another, relationships with other friends, and romantic interests, along with their personal and career developments, are featured.

Kind of like a highbrow Aussie version of Melrose Place, this primetime serial followed the lives of the residents of an apartment building in the Melbourne beach side suburb of St Kilda. Much of the drama was derived from who was sleeping with who, with the unrequited love between Evan and housemate Alex being a main arc in addition to the breakdown of Richie & Miranda's relationship as he struggled to come to terms with being gay and Gabi & Jason's toxic divorce. It burned brightly for a couple of season's but a mass exodus of original cast followed by a poorly received revamp saw it peter out without much fanfare in season 4. The original cast included a pre-Hollywood Joel Edgerton while Anna Torv of Fringe fame was among the newbies drafted in during the ill fated revamp. - @Carrie Fairchild

The Sullivans (1976 – 1983)
    The series tells the story of a fictional average middle-class Melbourne family and the effect that the Second World War and the immediate post-war events had on their lives. It covered the period between September 1939 to August 1948.

The Young Doctors (1976 – 1983)
    The series was set in the fictional Albert Memorial Hospital and was primarily concerned with the lives, romances and medical complaints of the doctors, nurses and patients.

Australia's most melodramatic soap opera. In its day it held the record for longest running soap on Australian television. - @Englishboy

The bold fashions alone could sell this one. Throw in Gwen Plumb gossiping and Cornelia Frances giving her subordinates a stern dressing down before falling into a lift shaft and how could you not? - @Mel O'Drama

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Medals:
    My votes go to

1) THE YOUNG DOCTORS

2) PRISONER CELL BLOCK H

3) NUMBER 96

• Like Like x 9
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    Medals:
    1. Pacific Drive
    2. Paradise Beach
    3. Home and Away

• Like Like x 9
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,077
    Medals:
    1. Number 96 (because I know what it is)
    2. The Sullivans (because I would love to watch it some day)
    3. Prisoner Cell Block H (it's on YT, and maybe I'll give it a try)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    1. The Young Doctors
    2. The Restless Years
    3. Number 96

• Like Like x 9
  12. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    1. The Sullivans
    2. Prisoner Cell Block H
    3. The Young Doctors

• Like Like x 9
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    1. A Country Practice - This was such a good show: great storylines, great characters, incredibly funny at times, brilliant drama and many moments that stick in the memory a third of a century after it was first broadcast.

2. Number 96 - This was a soap I previously hadn't heard of but after researching it a bit to write a description for this contest, I'm really drawn to watch a few episodes as it seemed to be a fascinating watch.

3. The Sullivans - Unsual in the world of soap in that it was based during a period of history, the Second World War. It had all the elements and melodrama of a standard soap opera, only that life, loves and interpersonal relationships had do be dealt with while a major world conflict was going on in the background which made for unique viewing.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    1. Prisoner Cell Block H
    2. Bellbird
    3. The Restless Years

• Like Like x 9
  15. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Medals:
    1. Home and Away
    2. The Young Doctors
    3. A Country Practice

• Like Like x 8
  16. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Medals:
    1 - Home and Away: a staple part of the TV diet of anyone that grew up in Ireland in the 90's, this is the Aussie soap that I've probably had the most consistent relationship with to date. My viewing tailed off in the mid-00's but prior to that, I watched it more or less from day one. It had such iconic characters in it's early period - Alf & Ailsa, Morag, Bobby, Fisher, Shane & Angel, the two Pippas, Sally. I could go on and on. Plus like all classic Australian soaps, it had a super memorable theme song.

2 - A Country Practice: this is mainly a fond childhood memory of when my mother used to watch it. From the bits that I remember of it, while it was low key in terms of the shock and scandal that other soaps of the time embraced, it had a lot of heart with characters that everyone could warm to.

3 - The Sullivans:
    I'm voting strategically with this one as I may as well go for something that stands a chance of getting through. It deserves a mention though because of it's unique premise with it being one of the few successful English language period soaps. My memories of it are pretty vague though with the theme song being my strongest recollection of the show.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,961
    Medals:
    1. McLeod's Daughters
    It's my favorite Aussie show so it gets my first vote. :)
    I really can recommend this show. The first seasons were so good.

First episode.

Regular opening credits

2. Home and Away
    My dad watched it so I am familiar with the opening credits at least.

3. The Sullivans
    Because it sounds like an interesting show.

Also I didn't nominate it and it's a mini-series so I am not sure it would have been eligable anyway but I also love "The Thornbirds".

• Like Like x 6
  18. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    Perhaps it's more a drama than a soap, but had I remembered The Flying Doctors, I'd have tried to slip this one in...

It used to brighten up my Friday evenings no end. The production values paired with the luscious bush backdrop were mouthwateringly good and there were some memorable characters. Like Return To Eden, it seemed to be a series to which actors graduated when they outgrew the half hour soaps

In addition to forgetting to nominate the series, I'd also forgotten how good the theme was...

*Edit: I've just noticed that Tina Arena is credited as an actor in the closing credits.^ Miss Broken Hill indeed.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,961
    Medals:
    My parents watched "The Flying Doctors". I remember the opening theme and I had thought of nominating it but since we only had two shows we could nominate each I went with Home and away instead.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,870
    Medals:
    1) A Country Practice: As I said before this show was classic Oz entertainment and Wandin Valley a busy spot. IMHO 'ACP' deserves a place in the next round.

2) BELLBIRD: If you haven't viewed any of this soap here is a video:

The above episode is towards the end of the broadcast duration and features 'Neighbours' stalwart, Ian Smith aka Harold Bishop.

3) Home and Away: "Ya flamin' galah!" and "Ya flamin mongrel!" are two favourite utterances, of iconic character Alf Stewart. Alf is just one of many memorable characters from the Summer Bay show, since the 1988 launch to right now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1