World Cup Qualification Round Australian Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    The following 3 Australian soap operas have already qualified for the finals of the World Cup:

[​IMG]
    Return To Eden, Sons and Daughters and Neighbours.

Now we need to select the final 3 Australian soaps to qualify.

The qualification process will be the same as for the UK and USA soaps qualification except in the number of soaps you can nominate.

Forum members are each asked to nominate up to two Australian soap operas that they would like to see competing in the finals of The World Cup of Soap Operas. Once the nominations have been completed, I will collate them and post the final list for everyone to vote for the shows they would like to go through.

Nominations are now open for you to suggest 1 or 2 soap operas you would like to be part of the qualifying vote. Any Australian soap opera is eligible, past or present, daytime for prime time. You may give reasons for you nominations if you like but this is entirely optional.

Nominations will close at midday Monday 29th July.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    A couple that spring to mind for me...

Number 96

What I’ve seen has been restricted to the DVD releases: 60+ consecutive episodes from the height of its popularity, plus some of the earliest episodes and further episodes from later in the run. Plus the inferior film version which amped up both the comedy and the salaciousness.

Despite the raciness of the early days (the first episode was promoted as “the night Australia lost its virginity” and evidence of the censors’ knives can be seen on the DVD of those early episodes, which are brutally and badly edited to cut out shots of hands on thighs or bare boobs) I far prefer what I’ve seen of the middle years of the series, where the sexual content was toned right down and it was basically Corrie Down Under, with wonderfully wacky earthy characters (including some from the North of England) mixed in with the younger prettier cast and some genuinely funny moments to balance out the heightened drama of its most famous plot: The Pantyhose Strangler.

[​IMG]

Two full decades before the Melrose Place complex was blown up, a redhead gone bad did exactly the same thing on 96. And even Kimberly never thought to conceal hers in a box of olives.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4x-eJvn0H8

It’s also worth noting that the series was progressive and pioneering in a number of ways. Not least the sympathetic portrayal of a gay lead character who wasn’t messed up or comic relief. This was about a decade and a half before such a character would be regularly seen on British TV.

And the theme is a complete ear worm.

The Box

I've never seen more than a few tantalising episodes, but it's held a fascination for me since I first read about it over thirty years ago. Judy Nunn as a bisexual predator giving Australian telly its first lesbian kiss? Count me in.

Edit: I've just seen this says "up to two", so I'm removing The Young Doctors as a main nomination. I'm sure it'll get nominated anyway.

The Young Doctors

The bold fashions alone could sell this one. Throw in Gwen Plumb gossiping and Cornelia Frances giving her subordinates a stern dressing down before falling into a lift shaft and how could you not?

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Medals:
    My nominees......

1) Prisoner Cell Block H - Australian soap opera which in the black gloved legend, the freak, had the greatest villain of any soap opera ever.

2) The Young Doctors - Australia's most melodramatic soap opera. In its day it held the record for longest running soap on Australian television. Oh how I wish they would release ever episode produced to DVD.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    Sounds intriguing!

As there are fewer soaps to qualify in this round, I've reduced the number of nominees to 2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    1. A Country Practice - I only got to watch this during the school holidays when I was young but really liked it at the time. Of all the soaps I've watched, A Country Practice was by far the funniest, at times even more so than the most popular sitcoms. It could swing from moments of hilarious comedy to moments of great drama or sorrow and do it faster than the flick of a switch. This is illustrated by the time when the practice receptionist, Shirley, thought she was pregnant even though she was getting on in age and everyone originally assumed she was already post-menopausal. Most of the episode was about everyone joking about how she wasn't "a spring chicken" and suggested she was going through the change instead. She wasn't having any of it as the doctor had confirmed that he saw a foetus on her first scan. At her next appointment the doctor told her she wasn't pregnant and what he thought was foetus was in fact cancer and everything immediately flipped to real sadness and high drama in a way that only A Country Practice could.

I also think when they killed off the character Molly, it was one of the saddest soap deaths ever.

2. The Sullivans - I only ever saw a few episodes of this soap, again in the school holidays, but I liked how it was set during World War II and followed the stories of how the war impacted on the Sullivan family so it was very different from other soap operas at the time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    Medals:
    1. Pacific Drive
    2. Paradise Beach

• Like Like x 4
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    1. McLeod's Daughters (2001-2009)
    This show was one of Aussie's most successful prime time soaps that was described as "Dallas down under" by the press.
    It's the story of two half-sisters who have grown up apart and who are reunited after their father dies and leaves them the farm "Drovers Run".
    Tess originally wants to sell her part in the farm but once she is reunited with Claire she decides to stay. On the farm is also the housekeeper and her teenage daughter Jodie. The Ryan family lives next doors with their two sons Alex and Nick. It's a great show that is a classic soap opera that has interesting storylines and couples to root for. It's about family and cattle and there's romance and good times but also sadness and hard times.

2. Home and away (1988-?)
    Day time soap opera that my dad used to watch in the mid 1990s.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,729
    The Young Doctors definitely but as this has been nominated I’ll say The Restless Years. This has my fav Warren Blondell in it pre RTE and had a young Kim Lewis (so sweet) and Peter Phelps from S&D

Richmond Hill last only 1988 but again had Warren Blondell as a policeman, Maggie Kirkpatrick from Prisoner look glam and Gwen Plumb from TYD as a farmer

• Like Like x 5
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    It's funny how drastically things changed after this era. TYD, Sons And Daughters, The Sullivans, Prisoner... every Aussie soap had a limited lifespan, no matter how good. It would have been almost unfathomable to audiences when Neighbours began in 1985 that it would make it into the Nineties, never mind still be running three and a half decades later.

Same here. I have fond memories of it on Mondays and Tuesdays at 3:30pm. I'd just make it in after school to see what scary Sister Scott was up to. The compilation DVDs they released were highly enjoyable.

It's great fun. I'd highly recommend The Pantyhose Strangler DVD. It was my introduction to the series, and a great place to start.

Great. I'm enjoying seeing some familiar and some less familiar names come up.

I read about Molly's death in a book about soaps, and by coincidence the first episodes I videotaped afterwards featured that two part story. I agree, it was a heartbreaker. That narration and the montage of her scenes really got to me.

Although I had it on tape, I could only bring myself to watch it once more. It was the day I failed my driving test and I thought I might as well watch it as I couldn't get any more depressed. I was wrong.

Glad this has been nominated. I loved the first couple of years so much.

As one of the longest running I'm a little surprised it wasn't an automatic qualification, but I know Return To Eden and Sons And Daughters are very popular round these parts, and there's only so much room.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    Breakers: in the late 90's, H&A and Neighbours still existed in their safe middle class bubbles where everyone was white & nobody was gay. Enter Breakers, the gritty Bondi based soap which was a breath of fresh air when it premiered. It followed the lives of a ragtag group of people who lived and worked in the eponymous Breakers building which housed a cafe, a newspaper and a modelling agency. It was unique in having a number of LGBT characters among it's leads and dealt with hard hitting issues that the other Aussie soaps of the time rarely touched such as living with HIV, drug abuse and the death of a child. Alas, it was essentially hidden from Australian audiences, as Network Ten aired it in afternoon and late night slots with no on air promotion for the show during it's entire run (in keeping with their policy of not promoting shows that aired outside primetime). The great hope was that UK audiences would embrace it as warmly as they did other Aussie soaps but after airing in the post-Neighbours slot on BBC1 for a while, it was unceremoniously shunted off to see out it's days in an early morning slot on the little watched BBC Choice. Thankfully, it got a full run on Irish TV, which is where I watched and loved it.

The Secret Life of Us: kind of like a highbrow Aussie version of Melrose Place, this primetime serial followed the lives of the residents of an apartment building in the Melbourne beach side suburb of St Kilda. Much of the drama was derived from who was sleeping with who, with the unrequited love between Evan and housemate Alex being a main arc in addition to the breakdown of Richie & Miranda's relationship as he struggled to come to terms with being gay and Gabi & Jason's toxic divorce. It burned brightly for a couple of season's but a mass exodus of original cast followed by a poorly received revamp saw it peter out without much fanfare in season 4. The original cast included a pre-Hollywood Joel Edgerton while Anna Torv of Fringe fame was among the newbies drafted in during the ill fated revamp.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    I really wish there was more of Pacific Drive to watch online. It looks like such ridiculous soapy goodness.

12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    Do I hear a little bit of the Knots Landing theme in that song?

Love My Way

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    I hadn't noticed a Knots vibe to it before.

I don't know how I haven't gotten around to watching Love My Way yet considering I've seen it described as the spiritual successor to The Secret Life of Us, which I of course loved.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    On the subject of gritty soaps moving away from the norm, it would appear that we've all been sleeping on a hard hitting new Aussie soap from ABC called The Heights

http://soapchat.net/threads/the-heights-new-aussie-soap.7321/

Slightly off topic I know but I thought I'd flag it here as the Aussie soap forum doesn't get much traffic (aside from the S&D contingent).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    Medals:
    No one's gonna nominate Home and Away?

16. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    @Karin Schill has nominated H&A. It would've been one of my nominations had it not already been chosen.

17. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    Medals:
    Im going to have to sit this one out, don't think I have ever seen any
    Disliked Neighbours on first watch and never tuned back
    and I never got home in tune anyway even if I did want to watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    1) BELLBIRD: A golden oldie from 'Down Under', which was originally broadcast from August 1967 to December 1977. A film spawned from this soap opera and there was also a novel.

2) A COUNTRY PRACTICE: Classic Oz entertainment.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    Was it the Australian answer to Peyton Place?

Btw, @Angela Channing, I forgot to nominate GLOSS, the New Zealandian answer to Paper Dolls (but bitchier, trashier and even more "80s" than the American soap)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    Along those lines.