1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Are viewing slumps common?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by ClassyCo, Aug 22, 2017.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I watched the first three seasons of Falcon Crest in rapid succession. In all of maybe two months, I had maybe the first 75 episodes or so in the can, but now I haven't watched the show in maybe three or four months. Is this common? I want to finish it, but just not right now.

• Like Like x 5
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I do this all the time - I'll binge like crazy and then just stop and then pick up binging again. I have no self-control with pacing myself when watching these shows.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    I prefer to watch one show (or read one book) at a time, but it shouldn't feel like a race or a chore.
    And sometimes we want to or have to do something else. Three months is a very long time though. Aren't you at least a little curious who survived the plane crash?:)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Your viewing patterns seem to be almost identical with mine.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,753
    I guess I don't understand the question.

6. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    ClassyCo I would suggest that you definitely continue viewing California’s Tuscany Valley wine saga. When watching old shows I tend to choose a particular year or season and enjoy a few episodes. I will then leave it at that, for a while. If you binge as some people do, as I used to do you could get sickened. I understand where you are coming from.

Some fans are of the opinion that seasons 1 to 3 were the best FALCON CREST. I would agree with this to a certain extent. Nonetheless even with Mr. Hamner relinquishing his creative control after season 5 and Robert McCullough quitting after season 3 there is still plenty of entertainment to unfold, albeit in a different context. You should like season four.

Angela now controls Richard’s ‘New Globe’ newspaper. She lands into his office, with backup from her grandson Lance and FC attorney Greg Reardon. Richard’s personal assistant Pamela Lynch is also there. After pleasantries of a kind everyone gets down to brass tacks, (a scene from season 4, 1984 – ’85):

Pamela to Richard: “What about your files?”

Richard: “I had them cleaned out last night. I mean after all it doesn’t take a PhD to figure out what was going on.”

He stands in front of Angela and Greg, “Oh by the way the ‘New Globe’ acquired the ‘Tuscany Shopper’ yesterday. It is a throwaway, it is doing poorly and will only cost you a million five.”

Greg: “Well we’ll certainly see you in court about that.”

Richard: “You’re going to be spending a lot of time in court Mr. Reardon, now that you are working for Angela and junior here. Expensive dogs have expensive fleas but they still have to scratch.”

Angela smirks at him.

Richard: “Shall we Pamela?”

They leave the office.

Just before they go into the lobby Angela hits them with a parting shot, “Don’t forget to order your subscription. The ‘New Globe’ isn’t free anymore.”

Lance laughs, while looking rather relaxed behind Richard’s desk.

Angela to Lance: “And you get your feet off the desk.”

Lance: “Yes grandmother!”

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I've binged watched the first three seasons, but fell into a viewing slump shortly after commencing Season Four because I've decided to finish Dynasty first.

What do I have to look forward to in the Falcon Crest story? (Maybe some tiny spoilers can be tossed in.)

• Like Like x 4
  8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,500
    Earthquakes, explosions, car crashes, kidnappings, drownings, dead birds and Charley St James.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    A little vague, but also quite intriguing. I think I'll take it! :lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,753
    You've watched the best part of the series, the first three seasons. The show runner was fired over studio politics before Season 4 commenced, and you've obviously picked up on the drop in quality. For me, S4 is acceptable but then veers off course ten episodes before the end of the year after the network demanded the Nazi plotline be dropped, so the writers have to cobble together some side plots to finish out the year, and it doesn't entirely work.

To me, Season 5 feels cluttered and muddled.

Season 6 feels like a possible renaissance for the show before getting too campy by the end of the year.

Season 7 has nice locations and guest stars, but it's all getting too shlocky and silly.

Season 8 tries to get serious again, but they no longer know how to do it.

Season 9 has improved writing, but now feels like a different series.

• Like Like x 6
  11. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I like how you have summarized it like this. I'll see if my thoughts agree with yours once I finally have the chance to watch the rest of the show. :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I will admit one thing I'm looking forward to is the guest stars, especially those faces familiar to me a la Classic Hollywood.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    If you like classic stars and not-so-gothic storylines, you ain´t seen nothing yet. Seasons 4 onward give what all the other major soaps were giving at the time, and in bigger doses most times (not that bigger is better, at least on TV...). A lot of fans disagree with me and think that the golden era was the first 3 seasons, but the last you have seen (Season 3) was full of daytime clichés, as you probably noticed. Everything was there for shock value, with not so much coherence as in the two previous seasons. And a lot of the S. 3 stuff was subsequently swept under the rug (because it deserved it, IMHO). But the FC stars never looked better than on Seasons 5 & 6, and the plot was never as convoluted and enjoyable as from early Season 4 on (after Gina Lollobrigida´s appearance in Tuscany Valley). And also remember that there were no dreams, UFO´s or Moldavia massacres on FC...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  14. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I am anxiously awaiting to see a host of familiar faces pop up from time-to-time on future seasons of Falcon Crest. I thought the first three seasons were great, that's why my Mother and I binged them rather quickly. We nicknamed the show "Big Ange" in fondness of Miss Angela Channing, of course.

It seems that many fans, not necessarily on Soap Chat, would argue that the best is already behind me. Season 4 is considered to still be good, but from Season 5 onward, the reviews haven't been too great. People are saying it's cluttered and silly, but with several attempts to return to the glory of its heyday. Regardless of the outcome, I'm awaiting it. It cannot be any worse than what Dynasty was offering at the same time, and I'm trying to finish it first because I started it first.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I don't mind seasons 4 through 7 - there are parts that works and some that... do not. But that goes for most of the prime time soaps. Season 8 is really the bottom of the series. Season 9 is weird because it feels like a different show, but looking at it objectively on a writing/plot/overall narrative level it's probably one of the better seasons.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Believe me, it is NOT sillier than Lana Turner being a Nazi, or Julia as a nun on the run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I figured the silly opinion was subjective.

18. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,527
    I would say definitely watch until the end of season 6 which I think are the best of Falcon Crest. The subsequent years were still good but not up to the standard of what went before them.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I believe there was a video on YouTube that compiled all of the show's cliffhangers together. Or maybe they were separately. Yeah, I think they were separate. Anyways, I took a peak at some of them, and I can say that I'm awaiting, anxiously, those cliffhangers and their resolutions.

Don't kill me for taking a peak.... :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    I think most of the last seasons of all the soaps had a sense of decay, but Falcon Crest seemed to embrace its decay, and that makes it a little bit more interesting than, say, the last two seasons of Dallas.
    Season 9 is dark and depressive, but maybe that's better than the lighthearted amusement of seasons 7 and 8.

Many exotic villains played by Hollywood Celebrities had tried to take over or destroy Falcon Crest. Charley St. James (no matter how much I loathe him) actually did it.
    Emma had had so many stupid storylines, but this time there were serious consequences.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1