Paper Dolls Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ClassyCo, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I've only watched the first few minutes of the pilot. Is it any good? Why didn't it succeed? Was it suppose to appeal to the same audience that made Dynasty the success that it was?

Right now, the only thing this show offers me is this gal right here... the one and only Morgan Fairchild.

upload_2016-9-25_13-53-8.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,928
    Medals:
    I'm not dying to watch Paper Dolls but I probably would if I could find the episodes online. Brenda Vaccaro is in it too.

Why did it not succeed? I guess not everything can be a hit. And not every viewer is a soap addict. Not every broadcast executive knows what's "best".
    So it's not necessarily because it sucked.
    Even really great shows like Cagney & Lacey were cancelled.

Just watch it and let us know how good or bad it was.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,826
    Medals:
    I loved it! I thought it was pretty great. It's very enjoyable fun and far, far more superior to Models Inc.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I exactly don't own the series, nor do I know if the episodes are online... I haven't checked You Tube, though. I was just wondering if anyone here had seen it and what their thoughts were.

5. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I figured Paper Dolls had a nice little "cult" or "camp" following, so I just knew that someone here must have watched it and liked it. As a side note, my mother recalled actually liking Models Inc. She also preferred Melrose Place over Beverly Hills, 90210.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,826
    Medals:
    Well Melrose Place is much better than 90210 I think. But even Melrose wore a bit thin after a while. I haven't made it to season 5 yet.
    Paper Dolls was was very addictive when I watched it, I raced through it in a few days. Morgan Fairchild was great in it and so was Nicolette Sheridan and that other one I cant remember, with the dark hair. Lt Riker from Star Trek has a tiny role as a makeup artist? Or a photographer I think. And Mimi Rogers is in it too. I think I remember it feeling like it could have been happening in the same world as DYNASTY. It's good fun.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I have the first season of 90210 and the first three seasons of Melrose Place. I started watching MP a year or so ago, but I couldn't just get into right off, so I haven't watched passed the first 10 or so episodes in Season 1. I've read that it is insanely addictive, but I've yet to just "get into it" all the way. However, I am going to get it another go around when I find the time... MP and Party of Five.

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,826
    Medals:
    The first season of Melrose is really slow. It gets really addictive when Heather Locklear shows up and then the whole Sidney/Kimberly/Michael stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    It was good in its badness. Morgan rocked as always. "Better cut down on the french fries" Hah!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    From what I read..the show started off decently ratings wise...but got pre-empTed for a few weeks thus ruining the momentum.

From watching on SoapNet...it seemed like 2 good shows in one...I'd rather the modelling agency aspect be focused on over the family business aspect..imho

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,928
    Medals:
    Paper Dolls: Can You Tell It Apart From Models, Inc.?

That's what I hope to find out this week.
    I've already peeked at the first 10 minutes of the first (well, second) episode and it looks incredibly cheesy with the photographers and 80s music:D
    I guess one of them will become a psycho-stalker?

Son holds father responsible for the death of his mother. Morgan Fairchild plays Racine (not Rancine, as I thought initially) who plays Morgan Fairchild.
    Etcetera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Medals:
    I said it before - too many characters too many plots and too little time in a doubled up pilot.

They needed to tone it down for the pilot to get people hooked and then slowly introduce the other characters and plots. Instead it was a bit "throw everything at the wall" and that never works.