Any Sympathy For Angela Covering Up Jason's Death?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,924
    Medals:
    Angela clearly loved Emma and would go to any lengths to protect her. In the opening episode of Falcon Crest, Angela covered up the death of her brother so the finger of suspicion wouldn't fall on her daughter's involvement in the tragedy.

Legally, Angela was clearly wrong in doing so, and morally there is no justification for denying Jason's family from knowing the truth of the circumstances that lead to his death, but as a loving mother trying to spare her daughter from a possible criminal charge do you sympathise with her in any way?

Although covering up the accident that lead to Jason death also helped her keep control of Falcon Crest, I think her motives were totally driven by a mother's instinct to protect her offspring and on that level, although I think she was wrong, I can understand why she would want to do it.

[​IMG]

2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    Medals:
    Indeed Emma was of great concern, to her. However with the terms of Giuseppe's will detailing a death of offspring in suspicious circumstances and how it would determine the future of Falcon Crest, Angela was in jeopardy, from an ownership point of view. Two wrongs never make a right though. In the end fairness prevailed, with Angela relinquishing only 50% of the family business.

Maggie asks Julia and Lance about how Jason died, after Gus told her at the funeral that his death was a mystery, (a scene from the first episode; season 1, 1981 - '82):

Lance: "Jason had a little too much to drink and ran his truck off a cliff."

Maggie referring to Gus: "I just wondered why he was so troubled."

Lance: "Gus has a tendency to exaggerate sometimes. Jason just had a bad run of luck."

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    I'm not sure if Angela loved Emma or not, but covering up Jason's death in the way Angela did just didn't make any sense: is a drunk driving over a cliff any less suspicious than a drunk falling from a catwalk??

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,108
    Medals:
    Ha!

Well at least he "didn't" die on Falcon Crest property, so that eliminates the question of Where Were You?
    No, the evil and calculating part of it was that she wanted to re-program her daughter's memory. Emma had to be there. It certainly didn't improve Emma's state of mind, but that was OK as long as she took her pills and stayed in bed.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,924
    Medals:
    A drunk falling off a walkway after Emma attempted to grab him could in the hands of a determined prosecutor be presented as Emma causing her uncle's death to stop his attempts to end her romance with Turner Bates. Whereas a drunk driving his car off a cliff, allows Emma to be clear of all suspicion.

You're correct in pointing out both are suspicious which is why I think Angela's motivation was to protect her daughter rather than to protect her inheritance.

6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    I didn't really believe her primary motive was to protect Angela as a mother. Her subsequent actions and the way she endangered Emma's psychological well being and chose to keep her drugged pointed more to her wanting to keep control of Falcon Crest, with covering up Emma's part in the accident more of a by-product.

7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    Claiming that the family walked in and found Jason's body on the floor of the winery also allows Emma to be clear of all suspicion.

8. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Medals:
    Poor Emma was even in that much of a state that she thought Jason died more than once.