Anti-Trump group urges mothers to 'talk to your child about the GOP'

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by SueEllenRules!, May 13, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Anti-Trump group urges mothers to 'talk to your child about the GOP'

This Mother’s Day, talk to your child about the Republican Party.

Billionaire Democratic donor Tom Steyer, who is spending millions on a campaign to mobilize young voters and call for President Trump’s impeachment, is out with a new ad telling mothers to “talk to your child about the GOP.”

In the video, released online ahead of Mother’s Day by Steyer’s organization NextGen America, a woman speaks about the “changes” she began to notice in her son from an early age, including stealing from “less fortunate kids” and bad luck in romantic relationships.

“He was never afraid to talk to girls,” the woman says proudly.

“But things never really worked out for some reason,” she adds, as the camera pans to a framed photo of a young man holding a sign that reads “Baby Killer.”

She jokes that her son came home from college often because he “never really learned how to do his own laundry,” and shows a photo of a Trump T-shirt on top of her son’s laundry basket.

“It wasn’t until I met his college buddies that I realized it may be too late,” she says, holding a photo of a group of men carrying torches, similar to the violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., last summer.

“Only a mother can catch the signs early,” she says, as the video cuts to a clip of her downing an alcoholic drink. “This Mother’s Day, talk to your child about the GOP. I wish I had.”

Former Obama speechwriter Jon Lovett on Friday slammed the ad and others from Steyer's group, calling them "counterproductive and annoying."

"[Y]ou're not helping anyone but yourself (maybe), and you're wasting money that could really help when we're in the fight for our political lives," he tweeted.

Anti-Trump group urges mothers to 'talk to your child about the GOP' - The Hill https://apple.news/AhJGjdklhTcC-NQNQtZnc1A

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Does it remind anyone else of this ad? :lol:

3. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Another good one from SNL: The Undecided Voters (a group of people that have some very important questions)

4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    The undecided voters I feel sorry for are the ones who are informed, and realize their only option is to vote for the candidate they believe will screw them the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Like the one who didn't get in bed with the Russian government?

6. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Just the military industrial complex, Wall Street, for profit healthcare, the TPP, etc.

I'm the first to admit the GOP is a gang of thugs, but it doesn't do any good to gloss over bad policies and corruption from the left either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Is treason even a blip on this radar?

8. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    It wasn't a blip on the radar during the election.

I don't have a favorable view of either party for a variety of reasons. I don't understand why that's controversial considering many people feel the same way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Nor apparently since.

For two parties that are nothing more than opposite sides of the same corrupt coin, it’s really odd that no one’s doing their damnedest to force a ‘progressive’ agenda down the Republican Party’s throat. :confuse:

Yeah, I know. They helped a treasonous traitor win the presidency, which is likely where the controversy comes in.

10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    Recognizing the flaws and evil of Trump and the GOP doesn't mean we have to sign off on or ignore the encroaching corruption going on on the left, especially if you're a leftist as I am.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Pft., voters. What do they know, right?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Huh? The investigation is on going, so how's it not on the radar now?

It's not odd when you consider that Dems used to champion progressive causes, while Republicans have generally been more socially and economically conservative.

Why is it okay to have two parties that shove needless wars, illegal surveillance, and bank deregulation at us, but not universal health care, tuition free public colleges, and a living wage?

The investigation began after the election, is on going, and Trump has yet to be convicted of treason. That's not to say he won't be, but I prefer to stay in the realm of facts.

You can wag your finger at the voters if it makes you feel better, but it's the politicians who need to be held accountable. Ignoring the flaws of the Democratic Party won't make them go away. They're still a party that takes corporate money, and thus support fracking, for profit health care, stagnant wages, war, illegal surveillance, ect. Not exactly liberal values.

It's a given that Trump and the GOP are all of that and worse, but Dems shouldn't use that an excuse to set a low bar for themselves. As long as moderates continue taking their anger out on the voters while declaring that the Democratic Party doesn't need to change, you're going to be left with disenfranchised voters looking for ways to make their voices heard.

That's what I find so strange. Why do moderate Democrats believe hating Trump means being okay with everything the Democrats do?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Ideological loyalty certainly didn’t apply during the election, despite the flaws and evil of Trump and the GOP, which certain progressives were apparently more than happy to sign off on or ignore by voting third party.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    As I Brit, I don't have an allegiance to either the Democrats or the Republicans, I think the video is daft but its central message is an important one: parents should be having conversations with their children about values and what they believe a government should be doing. I do this regularly with the children in my family not least because most the information they would otherwise receive would be from the biased right-wing mainstream media that exists in the UK.

Because I am from an immigrant working class background, I would be horrified if the children in my family went on to vote for the UK Conservative Party (which is our nearest equivalent to the US GOP) because the Conservatives are out to destroy the rights and wellbeing of people from my background.

I think the argument you're having in the US which I summarise as "yes, Trump and the GOP are bad but look a Hillary and the Democrats they are just as bad" is a re-run of the campaign that won Trump the Presidency. People that voted for Trump knew he was racist, misogynist, corrupt liar that wanted to take services and support from the most vulnerable so he could fund tax cuts for the rich. However, the GOP was ultimately successful in focussing attention away from this by making Hillary look like the devil incarnate.

I think Trump and the GOP must love this current debate because while people are arguing (rightly or wrongly) that the Democrats are also bad, it gives the Republican administration a free pass to do some pretty obnoxious things.

I think the argument should be framed more like "yes, the Democrats are far from perfect but they are not as bad as the GOP and are currently the best option to beat the extreme right wing policies of the Republicans that are so damaging to the poorest people in US society".

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    ^ ^
    And I think it actually is mostly framed this way.

But there are folks who refuse to look at the hypocrisies of the Democrats who are too close to the GOP's positions to be healthy, while there are others -- conservatives, or liberals angry at how Sanders was treated -- who cannot have a conversation about Trump's idiotic evils without jumping in "yeah, but Hillary......" immediately and every time, as if she's in the Oval Office now and not The Donald.

That said, Democrats tend to win more often when they actually run as Democrats.

16. Mazzilli

Mazzilli Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bernie was the rightful winner of the nomination. The INC cries about the popular vote but had no issued with superdelicates. The country bought into electing a renegade candidate , and that easily could have been Sanders.

17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,632
    I don't disagree.

18. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Whether a person voted Democrat or Republican in 2016, they were still going to end up with a flawed imperialist as president. Voting third party does not mean signing off on either party's evil ways. If anything, it's a rejection of their corruption and policies that ultimately hurt the poor and working classes. Not to mention plunging us into endless wars.

To say voting third party favors one candidate over another is an undemocratic point of view because it suggests our votes are owed to a candidate in the first place. I recall Chuck Schumer saying the Democrats would pick up two moderate Republicans for every blue collar Democrat they lost. If you turn your back on your base, they will do the same to you.

Republicans don't screw their base the way Democrats do. They're blatant in being a party of socially and economically conservatives, and their policies reflect that. Democrats, on the other hand, use platitudes to appease their base. They especially talk a big game about how opposed to Trump they are, but many of their voting records suggest otherwise. Under the Obama Adminstration, we ended up in more wars than under Bush, increased surveillance, a right wing healthcare plan, the Bush tax cuts made permanent, and so on. It was change on the outside, and continuity on the inside. Hillary's fatal flaw was not pretending to be anything different, even going as far as admitting she would be business as usual.

19. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Hillary gets dragged into these discussions because she was Trump's opponent, and anybody who didn't support her is often smeared for it. It's right to point out the Trump Administration's ties to Russian oligarchs, how Russia subsequently meddled in the election, how Trump's a war monger who appoints torturers and corporatists to his cabinet, etc. Unfortunately, many of those same people want to act as if Hillary didn't have the same flaws. They ignore her ties to Russian oligarchs, her desire to meddle in a Palestinian election, the wars she's supported, the fact that she considers war monger Henry Kissinger a friend, her ties to Wall Street, etc. Personally speaking, I like to see both sides held to the same standards.

On top of that, Hillary continues to interject herself back into the conversation. She's constantly reappearing with her latest person/group to blame for her loss. Originally, it was Comey, Russia, and the "sexist" Bernie bros. Then it was women who were internalized misogynists. Then it was because she's a capitalist. Now it's because two time Obama voters fell for fake news about her health. She may not be in the Oval Office, but she's sure as hell not out of the spotlight either. Hillary makes herlself fair game by continuing to relitigate the election.

Of course. The lie that progressives can't win comes straight from their donors. The sad part is they've brainwashed many of their supporters into believing it.

If progressives couldn't win on their own, Democrats wouldn't constantly get caught rigging presidential and congressional primaries.

If you simply replace Republicans with Democrats, you're just giving another party a free pass to do some pretty obnoxious things. Not to mention that when Democrats co-opt traditionally conservative policies, the Republicans go even more extreme. Obamacare was originally a Republican healthcare plan. Although it addressed pre-existing conditions, it left 29 million people uninsured and many more struggling to afford their premiums. What was the GOP's response? Try to implement a plan that guts pre-existing condition coverage and leaves over 50 million people uninsured. Obama made the Bush tax cuts permanent. The GOP under Trump gave the wealthy the biggest tax cuts in history. Obama increased the number of wars we're in and doubled down on illegal surveillance. Trump and the GOP did the same, and with the help of the majority of Democratic Senators. See the problem?

Yes, they're better in the sense that their healthcare plan and tax cuts don't hurt as many people, but Republicans have set a low bar. I think it's healthy to debate the Democratic Party's policies so that people understand the frustration many have with them. If we become complacent, nothing changes. That's why we need grassroots activists to keep fighting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018