1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another actor for Wes Parmalee

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +187
    It has been discussed at times that some feel the Wes Parmalee story wasn’t believable because Steve Forrest did not resemble Jim Davis in any was. Although he was a great actor and did a great job with the part, his mannerisms were different as was his build and walk. It goes without saying that his looks were totally different.

Personally, I enjoyed Steve Forrest in the part, but if you could have picked another actor of the time to play the part who might have pulled it off better, who would it have been?

My choice is going to have to stretch the imagination a bit, because he passed away in October 1986; therefore, he couldn’t have finished the season. However, I always thought Forrest Tucker could have pulled it off. I think he and Jim Davis resembled a bit, and I think he could have done well with Jock’s personality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    Funny you say that because I watched an episode of Columbo a couple of years ago in which Forrest played the murder victim and I thought he would have made a great alternative Jock Ewing. However, Mr Tucker died in 1986 which was around the same time the Wes Parmalee storyline played out on Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Of course, that was the point of the plastic surgery detail: Jock could now look like Margaret Michaels.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Of course, that was the point of the plastic surgery detail: Jock could now look like Margaret Michaels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Swellin

Swellin Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10
    James Coburn, this is him in 1981
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    Can’t think of any immediate alternative, Steve Forrest did a good job as Wes.

But the only man who was Jock Ewing was Jim Davis.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Medals:
    Oh, I agree! We all found the storyline very silly. Mostly because neither his face, nor his build nor his mannerisms matched those of Jock and because it would mean the Ewing boys had all bungled the search for Jock, which would have been entirely out of character. They were very thorough people.

I'm also very against the principle of a different actor playing a well established character. it's insulting to the audience and looks cheap.

That being said, if they were determined to try it, Jock's face an body should have been scarred from the massive burning and he shouldn't have been anywhere near able-bodied enough to be the ranch foreman! He was retiring from full time work before he even went to South America, but all those years later, he is once again ready for full-time, more physical work? Considering the crash he sustained, he should have either been crippled (to some degree) or at the very least should have walked with a limp.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    Given they had already recast Miss Ellie - not universally successful - they were probably wary about another recast. And given that they ruled out a recast almost immediately after Jim Davis died, it wouldn't have looked great if they had changed their minds on that five years later.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I agree. As I mentioned in another thread, I really enjoyed the Wes storyline when it first aired. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Some, however, thought it strange that Steve Forrest had no similarities to Jim Davis whatsoever.

As another poster mentioned, I did find it a bit strange that he had retired years earlier, yet he was now several years older, had went through a here does accident, and now he’s ready for physical work in a regular basis again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Medals:
    Honestly, they way Wes Parmalee was portrayed, it was as if being in a horrible helicopter crash,including being burned over most of his body in the process, had the end result of rejuvenating him. Well,in 1986, Steve Forrest turned 61 years old. Jim Davis would have been 77 years old! That was bad casting even though I liked Steve Forrest. I'd have preferred Steve Forrest to have played some new, interesting character who was not claiming to be Jock. If they had to have Steve Forrest playing a character claiming to be Jock, would it have been too much to ask to have him have some scars on his face and walk with a cane?

Suppose instead of the storyline they went with, Forrest had played a character who had showed up because he was someone who, because he was younger than Jock, had been someone who had also started his own oil company but had been put out of business by Jock through questionable methods? What if he had been so negatively affected by the experience that after all this time, he had decided to try to get revenge on Jock's family?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    Perhaps an option would have been for Steve Forrest to be Jason?

Swami

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,507
    Medals:
    I thought Steve Forrest was perfect for Wes and if he was Jock I wanted the name of his plastic surgeon and he came back better looking and more handsome and a voice to die for. I think he cut a very imposing figure, especially when he turned up at the Bob/Pam wedding and was waiting for Miss Ellie at the end of the drive

Jim had a very lined and craggy face and Back in the 80s I remember watching a show MClains law (i think it was called) with James Arness and i thought he could be a relative of Jock/Jim, had the same craggy, lined Westen movie type of face

• Like Like x 2
  13. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,607
    well, they were into stunt casting on the nighttime soaps in those days, so I'm going to go with John Travolta in a wig and heavy 'aging' makeup!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,492
    Medals:

Good idea or another brother of Jock's? We never get much history into Jock's family and is it ever stated that Jason was his only sibling? Until Jamie arrived we never knew there was a Jason Ewing as far as I remember.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    As far as I know Jason was the only brother.

Swami

16. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yes, I would have enjoyed seeing Steve Forrest in a more permanent role. I think I just liked Steve Forrest. I think he had a similar thing to Jock in a sense that he didn’t seem like the type to take crap from anyone, especially if he had been in a role that encouraged that personality more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    I suppose to some extent that had been covered in "The Dove Hunt" with Tom Owens.

Swami

18. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Medals:
    That was a good episode, but only one episode. I’d like to have seen a full length storyline about this and have the man come to Braddock looking for trouble.

BTW, do you believe everything Tom Owens said? I see that some people did, but we never saw Tom Owens before than or since then. How do we know he was credible? He could have been a big liar! That he was willing to kill Jock and his sons in cold blood doesn’t help his credibility, does it?Also, Jock didn’t remember him, so maybe that’s because he never met him and Owens was just nuts. Still, what an awesome scene that was when Jock looked up the barrel of that rifle and told him: “I you're gonna do it, then do it”! That took guts!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    Medals:
    A bit of the sore loser about Tom Owens, to be honest.

Swami

20. Dr. Ellby's hair

Dr. Ellby's hair Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1