Anders' demise: Dynasty's jump the shark moment?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Richard Channing, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,228
    Medals:
    I'm currently watching season 4 and, just as it has done in the past, Anders' transformation into a homicidal, suicidal nutjob stands out a mile as the moment that Dynasty really went down the toilet. Sure, season 3 wasn't perfect, and had it's contrivances and far fetched plots, poison paint and plastic surgery miracles etc. But they all had some logic and plausibility to them in a thoroughly soapy kind of way. But this story line is the first time I really thought, WTF is this bullshit?? There's so many things wrong with it.

What I will say about season 3 is that it kept a pretty good momentum throughout but the last couple of episodes let it down. The finale wasn't as good as some of the highlights of the season and everything about the whodunnit cabin fire felt pretty last minute and contrived. 'Who shot JR' it ain't. But still it was entertaining enough, if a little anti-climactic after a reasonably strong season.

But the resolution is appalling. They had to make him crazy because his actions made zero sense whatsoever so it was the only way to explain them. So we are supposed to believe that Alexis' threat is so devastating that it leads him to have a nervous breakdown and turn into a murderer? And that somehow he thought Kirby's father shooting himself would be better for her than hearing some old bit of gossip about her mother? Tbh I forget now what Alicia did that was so heinous, but then again, I don't really care. They totally shat all over Joseph's character. I mean, it's one thing to have him try to kill Alexis (twice), but for him to be so crazy that he was happy to torch Krystle as well was beyond ridiculous.

This really is the moment for me where Dynasty went too far and served us up an irredeemable pile of shite.

Interestingly, it's in the same episode that Anders shoots himself that Alexis new short hairdo is revealed. I've always had the theory that the cutting of Alexis' hair was a 'Samson' moment for Dynasty and from that moment on it was doomed, so this correlation pretty much proves my point.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Medals:
    They even for his death wrong in Season 08 when Leslie was told that he shot himself in the head. Nope, it was the belly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,750
    And the real reason for all that, is that Spelling demanded an actor gone in order for others to come on board. Other strange demands included Kirby being forced to leave because the actress got pregnant (Spelling would repeat that with Belwood, until Tylo took him to court).

There were some amazing opportunities missed with Joseph and Alexis as the two were facing the prospect of becoming future in-laws. What is even worse, is that the show was not even able to use that peace of history right in season 8 to concoct a proper story of revenge.

Season 3 shows some problems, but it is a solid season. Season 4 is I think the worst we had seen until season 7B came along. And I will say that even in season 7B, there was a plan--to change the tone of Dynasty. Season 4 was completely aimless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,660
    Medals:
    Yes, season 3 is certainly solid. I love it, it's the right side of crazy but it works. Season 4 is terrible, everything about it. The character assignation of Fallon is just painful. Then Mr Devil Bus. Lord why? Imagine they got rid of Lee Bergere to bring on the likes of Devil Bus and Tracy Kendell.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,660
    Medals:
    Joseph should never have stated the fire. It should have been the other way around. Mark sets the fire, and Joseph rescues Alexis and Krystle. Or Kirby could have set the fire. Joseph should never have been disposed of. Mark could have been a classic soap crazy character brought in for a short arc to cause havoc then be killed off. I get that Spelling wanted to remove a character before adding new ones, but get rid of one the better actors?

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Medals:
    There is a video on youtube where Bill Tush interviews Lee Bergere and they talk about his exit from the show.
    They talk about the cabin fire, so the cliffhanger must have aired already, so the show was obviously on hiatus. They are talking about Josephs exit and what that will be like.
    Lee says he knows that Joseph will just dissappear, leaving everybody on the show speculating what had happened to the character.
    He said that he wanted more to do for Joseph, developing him more but there were no plans for that, so he decided to leave.
    But at this time in hiatus he must have already known that he would be back for one last time?! They must have booked him already because shooting for S4 would start in a few weeks from there and they had to make sure that he'll be available then...?! So did he lie in that interview, or could it be they didn't tell him that he had to come back soon to shoot his suicide? Because in the interview he gave that impression to me, that at some later season the character could return, at least they were teasing and making jokes about it.
    And if he wasn't allow to reveal anything, then why spoiling Josephs dissappeance "for good" at all at this point? There was no hint to that in the S3 finale...
    That's all a little mysterious.. :D

Here is that interview:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,660
    Medals:
    The only thing is I believe that Lee Bergere may have wanted out. Although that could have been a PR thing to save his reputation. I believe in interviews he said he wanted out of the show as his character was being diminished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,825
    Medals:
    Yeah, the soap writers really love their whodunnits, but it doesn't always work.
    In this case simply because there weren't enough possible culprits, and I'm not sure if it would have been more entertaining if Mark had started to fire.
    Also, a good whodunnit is more than simply not-showing the killer. Unfortunately, NuDynasty made the same mistake.

I'm fine with Joseph being the arsonist, but I would have liked to see more drama rather than an explanation.
    She could have done more, be more cruel and more relentlessly. Reduce him to a blubbering mess - snot on the cake!
    The sickness and anxiety when he learns that they survived the cabin inferno, the constant fear of being exposed as the arsonist.
    Maybe he would try to kill Kirby in a "let's get out of this wretched world" sort of way. Smother her with a fur coat or something camp-y like that.
    There's a lot they could have done to make it more entertaining than it was, and give us more reason to hate Alexis.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    Medals:
    I don't think Bergere wanted out. I saw him in an ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT interview just after Joseph's suicide episode aired in the Fall of 1983, and Bergere was angry, stating that when Blake hovered over Jospeh's body and moaned "Why?.... Why"? Bergere said he himself wondered "Why??" as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    This is one of the wrong informations delivered by Judith Moose in her book "Glamour, Greed and Glory". Kathleen Beller did not have any child before 1991. She was pregnant while shooting "the Reunion", not the 4th season.

Mark setting the fire was the obvious choice but Joseph rescuing Alexis and Krystle was not ! I like the idea of Mark setting the fire, changing of idea at the last minute, rescuing the ladies and then being exposed by Blake. Joseph, on the contrary, could have been forced by Alexis to work as a majordomo at her penthouse. He would have died at the end of the 4th season instead of Mark.

11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,908
    Medals:
    Really? ^^ Makes her catfight with Mrs. Litton creepier...

That actually would have been a good excuse for keeping the character around: he's remained in Denver so as to not arouse any suspicion. In fact, if Alexis found out about Mark, that could come into play during his murder trial: first he tried to kill her, then blackmailed her. Why wouldn't it look like she killed him?

How so?

Also, this brings to mind how much more fun Alexis' reign at the mansion in S7 would have been, had Joseph still been around to throw shade at his new employer. :lol:

12. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Well she needed someone to stay with her so instead of a bodyguard, she could have hired a majordomo.
    Joseph would have been forced to accept because she threatened him to tell the truth about Alicia to Kirby.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,908
    Medals:
    Not sure why she'd choose Joseph of all people, though your idea does sound creative. :) Though I'd still have her hire Mark as a bodyguard, just to create a bit of irony when he's revealed to be the one who started the fire.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,825
    Medals:
    She'd better lock all the drawers.

Alexis should have found out that it was Joseph who started the fire, and then force him to ruin Krystle's dinner parties. And her flowers. And walk in on Blake and Krystle during their passionate moments. Every night.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,228
    Medals:
    I don't think it should have been Mark or Joseph. Neither had a good enough reason to kill Alexis. The only one with a good enough reason was Neil McVane. The rest of the suspects motives were pretty contrived and not really worth murdering for.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,825
    Medals:
    Ah, but what if Krystle was the real target?

17. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,228
    Medals:
    But nobody had a motive to kill Krystle!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,908
    Medals:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,228
    Medals:
    Thanks Ked! Yes, having phone sex with Roger Grimes possibly. :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Medals:
    Is that on the same set where they later shot DYNASTY?!

• Funny Funny x 1