An Open Letter To Cynthia Cidre

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Kenny Coyote, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Dear Ms. Cidre,

It's pretty clear to the Dallas fans that you never had any intention of making a faithful continuation of Dallas. You weren't capable. That would require knowing what made it work to begin with. But you couldn't be bothered to watch the show. So you never understood how Dallas worked, why it worked, and why its fans loved Dallas so much.

You distorted the original characters so badly and rewrote history whenever you felt like it, turning complex, iconic characters into one dimensional caricatures of what they'd once been.

JR was a great father, but in your version he was a lousy father. Bobby was a man who loved his family and had principles. He felt miserable the time he blackmailed someone. So of course you've him threaten to put his brother and nephew in prison. Good one. Nice utilization of Ray and Lucy, by the way.

Whatever it takes, I guess, to make your characters appear to be brilliant, compelling characters in comparison. Except that still wasn't enough. Does anyone talk about anymore about the characters you created? People still talk about the original Dallas characters to this day. Not yours though. Not one character you've ever created for any project you've ever done gets talked about today. Why do you suppose that is?

Obviously, to you, TNT Dallas was just a vehicle by which to make your own name known more, for a few minutes, and bring a lot of publicity to something that was nothing more than a project of your own you wanted people to see.

Fine, create your own project. Name it whatever you want but don't call it Dallas and prostitute that name for your own greed to bring yourself unearned media attention and bring an audience to your show that while it is a huge potential audience, isn't going to like your show. Worse, they'll hate your show more for pretending to be something they used to love and then falling so damn short of the mark.

Yours Truly,

Kenny Coyote

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,156
    Medals:
    Ok.

Five years after the cancellation, I'm sure she cares.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,487
    Medals:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Don't you ever get tired of being so damn negative all the time? Give it a rest already, this is getting ridiculous.

5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Do you have any sense of humor?

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,156
    Medals:
    No.

7. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Another one? I don't know what I can do for you except offer this advice:

If you don't have a sense of humor you're gonna hurt yourself getting mad at me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +776
    Medals:
    But don't forget Hagman and Duffy were behind her all the way and Gray said that everything was, "Delicious!"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Publicly, I'm sure they were. Acting is what they love to do. That's how they show loyalty to the people giving them the opportunity to do what they love to do and who are paying them to do it. I call that "being a good soldier." Hagman in particular went above and beyond by working while dying from cancer.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Reboots and continuations almost never work, and almost always for the same reasons: an executive gets the great idea to revive an old chestnut series for its name-brand value, assigns the job to the nearest producer within shouting distance, and neither knows nor gives a fig about the original property.

It happens over and over, and probably always will, often damaging whatever interest may still exist in the series in question.

Oftentimes, a producer just seems to have a show in their head they want to make. So when they get the chance to take over a pre-existing network program, or resurrect an old one, they just take that show that exists inside their head and overlays it atop the one they're supposedly reviving.

It doesn't tend to work.
    But Larry and Maj had been swindled by Bernie Madoff and needed the money. And Gray's boyfriend claimed she'd said the scripts were terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +776
    Medals:
    Then I guess she needed the $$$, too. Somewhere La Principal was laughing......,

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Laurie!

Laurie! Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Who??

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    I wouldn't worry about sending her a letter.

I'm sure she got a blast opening the Christmas card's I sent her!

You know, the one's with the semtex attached, rigged to explode when she opened them! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Kenny I am glad that you got that off your chest. Now you can start healing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    Yeah, don't end up like me Kenny. I was committed to a Sanitarium for years because I wanted to murder her! I turned psychotic & full of hate & loathing for her!

I now lead a happy, normal life with my step mother Pamela Barnes Ewing Graison, her husband Mark & my half brother Christopher.

You'll be fine, Kenny. :dance:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    Let's just enjoy Dallas as it was when Lorimar produced it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Could the same have been said about today's Hawaii Five-0? That one seems more like Miami Vice than the original 1968-80 Lord version ever did (especially since the Lord version was on before Miami Vice ever was).

18. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Probably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    And let's not forget our emotional attachment to a series. I have a strong connection to Dallas because it reminds me of a time, both good and bad. Of course Lorimar Dallas doesn't receive a free pass either because I can become quite vocal about the series in its later forgettable years. I think this is why reboots and continuations tend to struggle because we the viewer tend to place our favorite series on a pedestal.

So when a commercial network or producer wishes to resurrect a classic they should really understand the root cause of why that show had such huge success. Still, it would be difficult to replicate a series like Dallas in today's entertainment environment when its competing against other commercial networks, cable, satellite, streaming services and social media in general. Eyeballs are being pulled left, right and center unlike in 1978 when a family would gather around a single television.

Is there a market for a series like Dallas? Yes. But I believe it now belongs on a streaming service, well away from the stiff competition which exists between the commercial networks who only wish to produce that inane reality crap anyway.

The only other requirement is seeking out those creative people who have a passion for solid storytelling, actors who wish to be actors, not seeking fame and fortune.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +895
    If it had been on a streamer, where would you have thought it best-- Netflix, Hulu, what?