An interview with Michael Filerman.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    Thirteen and a half years ago Jason Yates and James Holmes phoned Michael Filerman (R.I.P.). Their interview was posted on the old forum site. Let us have a look at the very insightful interview again, from the link shown below. Michael Filerman is probably best remembered for his work on KNOTS LANDING, although he was also involved with three other eighties classics; DALLAS, FALCON CREST and FLAMINGO ROAD. FALCON CREST is discussed towards the end of the interview.

www.knotslanding.net\interviews\michaelfilerman.html

Angela is in a sanatorium, after under handed manoeuvring from Richard to obtain control of the successful Falcon Crest wine business. Lance is with her, in the visiting room, (a scene from season 8, 1988 - '89):

Angela: "Have you heard from Emma?"

Lance: "No but I've talked to Daniel's publishers. He is tracking them down."

Angela: "What about Julia?"

Lance: "She is in a convent in Italy, on some retreat."

Angela: "Damn!"

Lance: "Grandmother what is going on?"

Angela: "Does something always have to be going on? I just want to see my daughters."

Lance: "Now you know what I mean. You have Kenneth Loane (FC attorney) running all over town for ya. Why?"

Angela: "He has other clients besides me. Why is it that everyone thinks I'm always up to something?"

Lance: "Don't get all worked up now. Everything is going to be okay."

Angela: "Don't talk to me like I'm the village idiot. I'm not crazy! If I want my daughters with me there is nothing wrong with that."

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,097
    Medals:
    It's a shame the interview he did with falconcrest.org isn't freely available. I bet that's an interesting read.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Medals:
    I wasn't a fan of season 8, which he came back from the sidelines to take control off. That said at least he had some idea of what long term fans wanted, compared to Thorpe and Surnow who butchered the brand in the final year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    I would say so too. As far as I know Michael's interview is only available to paid up members, of the fan club. I'm not a member of the club. Gioberti84 you're on the money about Mr. Thorpe and Mr. Surnow. Since they were given carte blanche what they offered up resulted in a 81st position on the Nielsen and FC was a dead duck. Many people would suggest that the rot was happening maybe three years earlier but at least Jeff Freilich kept some ingredients familiar, with Earl Hamner's creation. FC season 9 had a couple of redeeming features, alas the show in the final year was more like a crime and grime drama.

Kristian Alfonso (who acts Pilar Ortega Cumson) is being interviewed. There is some FC conversation about her co-stars, ('behind the scenes' from season 9, 1989 - '90):

"Lorenzo Lamas (Lance) is very sensitive, a real gentleman. That goes for David Selby (Richard) as well. They're both such wonderful men, so caring and giving."

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    I can appreciate what Michael Filerman was trying to do with his season 8 work. He was trying to make the show a bit like season 1 again less OTT escapism and more of a working class feel when the Ortegas featured. However with 50% of the core cast not around and Pilar becoming a leading woman very quickly FC was soon a different show. However there were still some laughs (typical of the show) compared to the majority of the ninth year. Most of the humour came from Angela and Chao-Li, in 88 to 89.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Medals:
    Michael Filerman wasn't my favourite producer, especially as he was the man behind doing the heave ho of Ana Alicia and then having to embarrassingly decide to bring her back, in a look-a-like part. It was a win win for Ana because of the contract she had but a massive error of judgement by Michael. Robert L. McCullough was without a doubt the finest Falcon Crest producer. I still enjoyed your interview though James.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Medals:
    What are their other interviews like? Do they still frequent the forum? I always thought they were the reason people voted to leave the EU.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,097
    Medals:
    They're quite specific in some of their questions -- things like 'what's Maggie's real birthdate?' -- but in fairness, there's really interesting stuff in there.

Not as far as I know, sadly.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    I’m watching season 1 now. I can feel the Waltons in it. A rich Walton’s. But I liked the later years, the OTT I guess. By 8 I’d agree it went back to season 1 and then by 9 it was wrecked. I’m not familiar with who produced what.

• Like Like x 1