Altering Falcon Crest and why?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Falcon Crest I, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +393
    If you could alter one aspect from the show, what would this be and why. Possible ideas - having Jacqueline for another season or two, Julia not returning in season 4, the Riebmann plot lasting all of season 4, making Jordan Roberts a regular character, the twist involving Angela and Richard as season 6 ends, Melissa doesn't die or Maggie doesn't die?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Then I would continue to write for the characters instead of creating excuses to hire every available guest star (and then call Aaron Spelling to tell him that all those guest stars are still available).

• Like Like x 5
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,207
    My decision would be about the overall tone of the show rather than a specific storyline: keep things dark and resist any temptation to play it as a comedy.

But if that counts as two things then just: resist any temptation to play it as a comedy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    David Jacobs has said before that these kinds of shows must be played absolutely straight on the face of it if they're going to work, even though they can have humor and satire underneath the surface.

Otherwise you have a satire of something that's already a satire. Even though this show could straddle that line more closely that the others, they stepped over it far too often as time went on.

The main specific thing I'd do to alter FC is not fire Bob McCullough.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,201
    I don't think Chase should have lost his share of Falcon Crest in season 4. I think this was to make way for the Rossini story line after the Nazi treasure plot was axed. It was a big mistake. The whole premise for the show was Angela having to share Falcon Crest with Chase. And I think this was a big contributing factor to season 5 not really working. That central conflict wasn't there. I assumed they would rectify this at some point and he'd get it back but it never happened.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    I've already said what I had to say so I really shouldn't say anymore.
    But if someone would say "not kill off Chase" then I would totally agree with that (without explicitly saying it, but that goes without saying, of course).

7. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,201
    The show definitely lost one of it's most crucial ingredients when Chase left, but at the same time Falcon Crest excelled at mercilessly culling it's cast and this was a big one (even if they did leave the door open for him to come back), so I liked how dramatic it all was. What didn't make sense to me though was that they'd been teasing a Chase/Maggie/Richard love triangle for years and just as it was starting to really happen and get interesting Chase was not around anymore! That seemed strange to me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    Many soap characters have been resurrected, and there were so many possibilities with Chase.
    As Jacqueline's only son he could have become the new head of The Cartel (I thought one cartel was enough).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,201
    I don't think Chase was really the head of a Cartel type.

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,354
    No? How about his legacy, that thing with the keys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,349
    I would have liked Chao-Li to have been given one big storyline, something that would have challenged his loyalty to Angela.

I also would have kept Ken Olin's character in the show as a direct rival to Lance both as a heir to Falcon Crest and a rival for the affections of Melissa and their mother's love.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    Ken Olin was so unhappy with his experience on FC he expunged it from his resume.

13. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +978
    IMHO Melissa should not have been killed off. I felt what happened was the beginning of the end, after the rollercoaster which was season 7. I would have much preferred Jeff Freilich had remained in control, with his vision for the penultimate season. Abby Dalton was also in talks to come back, for a guest stint.

Melissa now owns Falcon Crest, even with Angela saying she’ll be back, in the 7th season’s cliff-hanger. Angela has come to take a look at the vines, after Pilar told Cesar, they weren’t in good condition. The matriarch arrives with her grandson Lance, in the black Mercedes SL. The old foreman Cesar has his grey GMC pickup truck stationary and is ashamed of what is all around, (a scene from season 8, 1988 – ’89):

Angela: “I come to the vineyards every day Lance.”

Lance: “You couldn’t a seen this or you would have stopped it.”

Angela: “Well that’s mildew.”

Lance: “Ya huh!”

Angela: “Is it as bad as I think?”

Cesar: “Yes Mrs. Channing!”

Melissa comes on horseback towards them, at a galloping pace.

Melissa: “What are you doing, on my land Angela?”

Angela gives Melissa a look that could cut corn, while replying, “Melissa I’ve never really liked you but I always thought you cared for the land, as much as I do and knew your business!”

Melissa: “Louie told me he knew what he was doing. He said that everything was fine.”

Angela: “I thought Falcon Crest would be safe in your hands, so I planned on going away and leaving it, with you!”

Melissa smirks and says, “You’re leaving?”

Angela: “Was leaving. I can’t standby and see you ruin everything that my family has worked for, for generations.”

Melissa: “You don’t have a lot of choice, Angela do you?”

She looks back at them before mounting the horse and replies, “Lance get her outta here!”

Angela: “Melissa you are such a fool. You could have it all.” She looks over the vineyards with Lance and an angry Cesar, waiting for Melissa’s next move.

Melissa cracks the whip and storms off.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I like the idea of Chase being the head of the cartel, or even the 13. Despite FC's notoriety for killing off main characters I think there should have been less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I would have liked if cast original Jamie Rose had returned, instead of bringing in Dana Sparks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I wish Bob McCullough had never left and that hack, Jeff Frielich, had never been hired. Frielich was all about cheesiness and campiness and synthesized music.

Also agree about Chase not being killed off and not losing his part of Falcon Crest.