nuDynasty Spoilers All Casting News And Spoilers For S3

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Emelee, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Colterton

Colterton Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7
    [​IMG]
    Has the name for season 2 episode 1 changed now to be called "TWENTY_THREE SKIDOO"? This is a reference to the speech Fallon made in the original Dynasty at the opening party of La Mirage in Season 3. Would also tie in with the image shared this week of nuFallon in her twenties outfit from S2 Ep1? Image above is from the twitter feed of the composer for nuDynasty - Paul Leonard Morgan. In the original Dynasty, the original Kirby had just been introduced before the twenties party at La Mirage, so it seems nuDynasty is sort of following the original timeline for some aspects of story correlation.....?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +147
    @Willie Oleson Well the other contenders for Best Revival include Will & Grace, The X-Files, One Day At A Time (an updated version with Rita Moreno featuring a Cuban family), Arrested Development, Queer Eye and American Idol. Honestly I hope Will & Grace not only wins but utterly destroys Dynasty at the People's Choice Awards. The revival version is infinitely much better than the original and they definitely deserve to win because unlike with Dynasty, they actually bother to put effort and soul into their product. And they don't alienate their audience with behind the scenes drama where apparently they don't even treat their talent with respect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,666
    Medals:
    I had no idea this was a revival.

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,666
    Medals:
    No competition, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,748
    Medals:
    The PCA, unlike most of the more mainstream awards, adjusts their categories as trends shift. They want to appear more of a reflection of what folks are watching--in short, to live up to their name.

As for Dynasty's nomination, I like that they (the PCA nominating panels) gave the show a shout-out. PCA is much more of a popularity contest than most awards of this type, so ratings will generally reflect who will win. They may have needed a certain number of competitors that covered a cross-section of shows (I'm seeing three sitcoms, two dramas and two reality shows). It's more about "buzz" than about objective judgments of quality, so ratings might not even be as important as whether the show has the public spotlight and "approved of" by the right people.

Note that the most talked-about, highest-rated revival isn't nominated--and it isn't because it was poorly-done, had low ratings or lacked social-media buzz. After a successful season and every intention to continue the series, Roseanne Barr managed to torpedo her own career and force the cancellation of the show, and the PCA likely wanted to ignore the show rather than attract controversy by asking the voters to reward or punish the show because of what happened with its star. It's hard to deny that if Barr had kept her mouth shut and never caused the mess that ended the show, that this "Best Revival" award would have been hers for the asking.

If Dynasty were to win this award, it would be a wonderful opportunity to say "Hey, look at us!", which is a lot of the reason we have so many awards shows (publicity), but I'm not convinced they can win it. Awards like the Emmys judge two or three episodes of each nominated program on a more-or-less equal footing, supposedly not being swayed by ratings/popularity, so they'd actually have more of a chance winning in an objective review of their achievements. Unfortunately, the Peoples Choice Awards are more about pleasing the masses, so "dark-horse winners" are much fewer by design.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    But is that really necessary? Dynasty 2.0 is supposed to be an updated version of the original, not a continuation or a re-telling. So they used the character names from the original but I just don't see the need to rehash - in parts - original Dynasty. Why are the writers so afraid to tell their version? It's like they wish to keep a foot in both camps; keep those few original fans of Dynasty happy but trying to appease new fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    Well said. That's the insipid PC (Political Correct) brigade for you. So one actor (Roseanne) kills her future career so all others involved with Roseanne have to suffer the same fate. Any wonder these award shows are dropping in the ratings year on year. Once upon a time I use to enjoy watching the Oscars, not anymore. Every actor has a political axe to grind and usually take the opportunity to slap the viewers and the current President during the acceptance speech. Keep your political thoughts out of it and accept the award for what it is, a trophy for sitting about a set waiting for some poor sod to knock on your trailer door and announce we're ready for you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    Only Alexis could swing her shoulders and manage such a grand staircase at the same time. Dame Joan had talent.

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,666
    Medals:
    Is it really so awful to use a detail from the original series?
    And how do you update something without (partially) remaking it? Then it's no longer an update, it would be completely 100% new. A story with the same title and that's it.

NuDynasty is the Carrington saga with different angles and different twists. We know the story and yet we have no idea what's going to happen.

Similar or different, I just want it to be good. I am very sceptical about the re-introduction of Cristal, but I don't see how a remake of that roaring twenties party would hurt the story.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +143
    One would be hard-pressed to find many successful reboots or re-imaged shows - note: not revival or continuation. In my opinion, the best re-imaged shows were BSG or the different Star Trek shows (more like prequel/sequel/reboot). It's all up for debate, but in my opinion, remakes tend to maintain continuity when retelling an original story with only minor changes. A re-imaging tends to take more liberties with the original story and try to put its own spin or stamp on it. Reboots seem to focus on ongoing stories that tend to ignore previous versions of the stories. Revivals tend to be a continuation of an original story focused on appealing to a new generation or audience.

Having said that, I certainly do not see issues with using details from the original series and of course it is a way to attempt to lure viewers of the original. I still watch daytimes soaps with the hopes of seeing vet characters or the shows revisiting old storylines, even though the new products are often subpar and vastly different from the earlier days of the shows. With a show like Nu-Dynasty, we obviously are not able to revisit a past like that since the show is new, but we can revisit pieces that pay tribute to the original.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,748
    Medals:
    They likely feel they HAVE to keep feet in both camps at this point. They are likely attracting a large number of fans like myself, who want to see these nods to the original series, and the studio may be on their case to hold onto every possible viewer (or in this case, every faction of viewers). If they were to divorce themselves from original Dynasty, they could lose a group of viewers, while trying to do a word-for-word re-shoot of the original might lose the faction of viewers who are tuning in for something new and exciting. I also think the writers probably get a kick out of taking the best aspects of the original, re-packaging them in new ways, and making "everything old, new again". They can say "See how clever we are?" while also appropriating someone else's ideas. And y'know, I'm okay with that. There isn't very much truly original in soaps at this point, so it's more about "how you do it" rather than "what you do".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,666
    Medals:
    "Those few original fans of Dynasty"

Why does that make me feel like someone who survived WWI?:lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Medals:
    If the writers were afraid to "tell their version" they wouldn't kill off Cristal - that's a ballsy as hell move.

I predicted they would kill off Michael since he seems pretty useless at this point. I'm excited how this all will unfold - maybe it'll fail, but so far I've been pleased so I think they know what they're doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    But didn't they just kill off the actress, not the character? I wouldn't call that ballsy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Medals:
    They killed off the character Celia "Cristal Flores" Machado. We have no idea how the Real Cristal Flores will act or even be.

I'm so excited they casted a telenovela actress - apparently she's good in the telenovelas from what I hear. Will she be able to bring that in her first English role? We'll see. NuDynasty is so exciting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +143
    It appears that Dr. Nicholas Toscanni has been cast for Season 2. It appears he will show up in episode 3 and be portrayed by actor Robert W. Arbogast. I'm not sure if it's a one-episode or multi-episode stint:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1274702/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +143
  18. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +698
    Real Christal's daughter? Sorta an Amanda-in-waiting?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Yay... more young women for Fallon to fight with... super lame.... *yawn*

I'm already bored by the possibility of Fallon fighting with "Cristal" *again* and I wish that stupid retread of a storyline from Season 1 would end yesterday already.

Also, I'm not too crazy about C. Thomas Howell's character Mark Van Kirk either. I'm going to go on a limb and assume he's Liam's super rich uncle but he just doesn't look like how I envisioned him. I thought he would appear more imposing, regal and domineering. But maybe they cast him this way on purpose so that less people would be likely to be throwing up in their bedrooms or on their computer screens when Fallon inevitably starts offering herself to him.

Also please get rid of the Colbys. It's pretty clear that the Van Kirks are going to start eating up a lot of screen time so why even bother keeping them around? And maybe also get rid of Michael too since it's pretty obvious that he and Fallon might not even end up together by season's end. Unless he'll end up with Real Cristal like they hinted with Old Cristal last season or Kirby. In which case, I really don't care.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    If you don't care, stop watching, and stop hanging around here, and go someplace where your time and interests are better spent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1