"alf" Star Max Wright Dies Aged 75.

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Swami, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,906
    Medals:
    Max Wright: Star of Alf and Buffalo Bill dies aged 75

[​IMG]Image copyright Getty Images
    Image caption Max Wright played the father, Willie Tanner, in 80s sitcom Alf
    Actor Max Wright has died aged 75 after a long battle with cancer, his family has confirmed.

He was well known for playing Willie Tanner, the adoptive father of an alien, in the hit 1980s sitcom ALF.

However, Friends fans may remember him better as the pre-Gunther, original sour-faced manager of coffee house Central Perk.

Wright played Rachel's boss Terry 'The Jerk' in the first two seasons, while she worked there as a waitress.

He famously banned Phoebe from playing live music for customers because her songs were so terrible.

"Rachel, it's not that your friend is bad, it's that she's so bad she makes me want to put my finger through my eye into my brain and swirl it around," he said when explaining to Jennifer Aniston's character why Phoebe could no longer play.

However, Terry only appeared in the first two seasons of Friends, before Gunther, played by James Michael Taylor, took over as the main character who worked at Central Perk.

Wright's biggest hit, Alf, aired from 1986 to 1990, and saw the late Michu Meszaros wearing a full-body suit to portray the titular character.

The sitcom followed the friendly alien who crash-landed in the garage of a suburban middle-class family in America.

[​IMG]Image copyright Getty Images
    Image caption Max Wright played the original manager of Central Perk, the coffee house inl sitcom Friends
    Wright's acting career began in 1974, and he had more than 60 acting credits to his name.

He also starred in 26 episodes of Buffalo Bill, and had small roles in Mad About You, Open All Night, Cheers and Murder, She Wrote. However, he has not appeared on screen since 2005.

Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane led the tributes to Wright on social media, tweeting: "RIP Max Wright - a hilarious and talented actor. Sad news to hear of his passing. Who will keep Alf in check now?"

"I grew up watching [Alf]. Thanks for the laughs, Max Wright," tweeted US blogger Perez Hilton.

Wright was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 1995, but later went into remission.

He died at home in Hermosa Beach, California and is survived by his two children, Ben and Daisy. His wife Linda Ybarrondo, whom he married in 1965, died two years ago.

Swami

2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Medals:
    Didn’t he like a healthy dose of crack and men of color in real-life?

He also LOATHED his time in ALF, as well as his co-stars......

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,906
    Medals:
    Not sure about your first point, but I definitely remember he wasn't overly enthusiastic about his time on ALF. Not the first time I've heard that.

Swami

4. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Medals:
    MW’s thirst for drugs and men was very well known....

5. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Medals:
  6. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    i loved ALF and i still love him, i loved him on the show and i'm a fan of his because of Alf. he loathed his costars really? one of the best episodes is when they met Bob Denver and Alan Hale Jr. it's a shame that he hated his time on the show

7. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Medals:
    Everyone hated everyone on that show. When it ended, he walked out when they started the wrap party and didn’t say one word of goodbye to anyone.....

Lol!!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Medals:
    it's a shame they hated each other i wonder why they hated each other so much?

9. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Medals:
    Online quote about the show: “ALF is quite literally the worst casting ever seen. It simply did not work. There was no chemistry between the leads, the kids were not particularly good and by season four everybody hated each other with a burning passion.”

10. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,906
    Medals:
    I must admit I am surprised to hear that the apparent antipathy on-set was as bad as several of you say. I thought it was maybe just a bit of mild indifference, but clearly it was more than that. It's a pity if it in any way detracted from a fun show.

Swami