Alexis the Anti-Feminist?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Logan Rhinewood, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Logan Rhinewood

Logan Rhinewood Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I’m watching Season 7 and Alexis has just visited Dex at the pipeline site (flew in on a helicopter) and met one of his new crew leaders, a blonde named Jennifer. Alexis was really quick to jump to the conclusion that Dex was banging her and I’ve realized that not only is Alexis an anti-feminist, but she’s also a hypocrite!

Alexis called out Sammy Jo before she even knew her, as a gold digging tramp. She went after Claudia and her “off the rack” dress at the Carousel Ball. She always took cheap shots at Krystle’s last season wardrobe, shamed Leslie for using her feminine charms to get ahead and even referred to Mark Jennings as a “male tramp”. In the days of #metoo, would Alexis Colby be seen as a supporter of other women, or a throwback to women-on-women jealous, catty name calling and fighting? She’d always take cheap shots and call other women out in loose morals or their appearance.

She’s often said that she’s as tough as anyone, has accomplished so much, done this and achieved that through hard work, guts and a strong will to survive. But hasn’t she set the bar for hard work...on her back? Blake supported her after he threw her out. She inherited half of Cecil’s empire, slept with Rashid Ahmed and Neil McVane and allegedly Zach Powers to get ahead. So...is she a woman’s worst nightmare as the ultimate anti-feminist?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,626
    Alexis is a narcissist. She's all for Alexis.

And yes she's a hypocrite, but that doesn't prevent her from viewing herself as or calling herself -- or being -- a feminist, as many feminists are hypocrites.

#MeOnly

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    I'm certain a fair few are narcissists too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Exactly.

Even when it comes to her children - who she supposedly cares about - she'd throw them in front of a train rather than herself. She only "cares" for them as long as they give her love and attention. Alexis is a narcissist with sociopathic features.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    It's all just labels, innit? Alexis was contradictory, as most good characters are.

It was very, very interesting in Prime Suspect, once Helen Mirren's character had managed so heroically to overcome the misogyny she had encountered in the police force to the degree that she was in a position of authority over others, that she then treated a younger female officer almost as badly as she herself had been treated.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,919
    If a character is written as a catty hypocrite then it makes sense that that character uses double standards.

But when Claudia calls Krystle a hypocrite, then it's getting a little more complex!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,626
    Poor Krystle. When you're that nice, even existing becomes a manifestation of hypocrisy.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    Krystle in season one, especially, was nice but aware of her own shortcomings and errors in judgment, and anything but a hypocrite. They gradually removed all epithets from her personality and nice was the only one left, but Claudia's jibe that she lets the nastiness happen as long as it doesn't affect her and her inner circle was not without grounds.

But back to Alexis, I don't think she was a feminist--she wanted herself as a woman to be in power, not all women to be empowered as classical 70s feminism claimed. She was more like Collins' favorite prime minister, Margaret Thatcher.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,626
    And that '80s New Woman image that Alexis was supposed to reflect was also in conflict with her being TV's premiere villainess.

Are all powerful women bitches? But since many powerful men are bitches, there's no reason the women can't join the club.

Funny, Joan once said, "They don't call Donald Trump a 'bitch'...."

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    All though, I think if Krystle called all the shots then we would have had world peace since 1981. Krystle did her best but there is only so much glitter one person can spread around.

I agree about K in season one, she had more of a personality and own will. Season two and three were also good from a personality point of view. After that she changed into Mother Earth, but still in the same environment, which made it seemed like she's been sent to rescue the morally depraved Carrington clan, instead of diving right in and..well, be human.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Alexis always trashed down Sammy Jo, when she herself in fact slept with everyone that benefited her in business and in private. In business, Alexis used her back more than she used a pen.

She did have a sensitive side, but in many ways the years with Blake f*cked her up pretty good and for life.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,919
    Hm, I never got these vibes from Alexis. I mean, power to do what? All she needed was just a little bit more power than Blake in order to challenge his reign.
    She had her "I'm a very busy woman" moments but ColbyCo was also a one-woman-show so it never really felt like compelling corporate intrigue.
    Alexis didn't want Cecil to die, she didn't want to do his job. But if she failed then Blake would win.

Like Angela Channing said "I was a business woman before it became fashionable" and she wanted to rule her family and the entire valley because she was that kind of person.
    But it makes sense that these kind of women would want to keep that power to themselves, rather than sharing it with other (possibly equally superior) women.
    upload_2018-6-17_10-46-42.png
    It just ain't no fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Exactly - Alexis wanted power to quash Blake and anyone else she felt had personally wronged her - in the big scheme of things she'd otherwise be quite happy with living in Europe with pool boy of the week to gawk over.

The truth is Alexis was a very petty and vindictive woman. Just look at when Blake rejects her in the other half of season 6 and she goes all out to destroy him, even if it possibly means jeopardizing the entire Colby Enterprise; then it continues in season eight with her for sure to lose run as a third party candidate just to pass Blake off. It's finally acknowledged in season nine that yes, she's a completely crummy businesswoman who cares more about her personal vendettas than what's good for business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Joan’s strident egotism masquerades as feminism. She has little time for the sisterhood. In that regard she and Alexis are similar. Sometimes being a bitch has the unintended consequence of behaving like one and being perceived as one.

• Funny Funny x 1