Alexis' Return To Eden

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Alexis, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    I have just ordered the original mini series and the follow up night time soap. Australia's answer to Dallas apparently. I will be posting here once I get watching. I'm sure there will be loads to comment on. From what I hear there's a mauling crocodile, some extensive reconstructive plastic surgery, a supermodel, lashings of revenge and all kinds of other such soapy shenanigans.

Ohhhhh Stop it now!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    The mini series and the follow up soap are very different. The mini-series is, I think, a soapy treat. Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,215
    Medals:
    Very different.

Be afraid.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    So what starts out as a treat turns into a tummy ache...
    I am not afraid I have watched all of Models Inc and lived to tell the tale.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,215
    Medals:
    Sorry, I hate using the optimistic rating, but this time I simply don't have a choice.

Although...some of it was so bad it's good.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    Medals:
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. I really liked the miniseries. It has a good plot and had just the right level of camp.

I recently delved into the follow up series but only made it as far as episode two or three. I won't spoil anything and look forward to hearing what you make of it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Medals:
    I hope you will love this mini-series as musch as i do, it's one of my old time favorite tv-shows from the 80's, the other follow up series from Return To Eden is a little different but it's very entertaining as well, is't more in the style of Dynasty and Dallas.:)

Enjoy the ride of this fenominal tv-show. :D;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,294
    Medals:
    Enjoy, Alexis.

Be prepared - the picture quality on some of the official DVDs is really something else. It looks as though someone stuck a cheesecloth filter over their 2003 Samsung camera phone and recorded a well-watched VHS recording from a TV with a dodgy tube. Or something like that.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Oh dear....

10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    So the miniseries arrived quicker than expected. And oh my! This shit is wonderful! I'm eating it up with a spoon!

I am loving it so far, still on the first episode but it's so deliciously soapy. I know I'm going to enjoy it all the way through. I will post more thoughts on it after I finish the first episode.

Parts of it do seem to be filmed through an old pair of tights though. I wish it was all cleaned up!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am dead! Deceased!

Stephanie Harper aka Tara Wells on walking into a modelling agency 8 months after being mauled by a crocodile and then having extensive plastic surgery. Surgery that took her from looking like a dowdy virginal math teacher to looking like EVERYONE'S MUM did in 1983!

"I need an agent. Someone who can get me on the cover of Vogue in 6 months"

Iconic! Simply Iconic!

The whole way it's done is so wonderfully soapalicious. Her going and buying the designer duds and having her hair and makeup did at a salon. Then filmed from the back as she enters the agency, a head scarf to add to the mystery? What will she look like? I cant take it anymore!

Oh... She looks like ya mum did in 1983! And she's gonna be on the cover of Vogue in 6 months. Well about 30 minutes in Alexis time. 20 if there is a fashion montage and of course there has to be a fashion montage, it's 1983!

It had been wrecking my brain who the actress who plays Jilly is. Turns out I recognised her from a film she did with Peter Faulk which I loved as a kid, Happy New Year. And when I looked her up I also remembered her from Star Trek TNG. She sort of had a bit of a Grace Kelly thing going on, only not quite as stunningly gorgeous.
    The whole crocodile scene was pretty chilling, even dated as it is, it's horrific. They should do a remake of this and make it like 12 episodes, really drag it out and pad it with more character development.

Right I'm off to watch episode 2. This is too good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,237
    Medals:
    Well I finished the miniseries last night and I loved it all. It had it all really didn't it, revenge, different identities, plastic surgery, a super model, dramatic reveals, a raging house fire in the climax and even it's own version of Lindsey Blaisdel.
    I loved the guy who played the plastic surgeon, his voice was wonderful. I keep thinking he must have had a career as a voice over artist after this, but haven't checked. The tormenting of Jilly with the voice of Stephanie over the loud speaker was genius too, loved that! It was a very enjoyable ride and I loved every minute of it. I am sure I will watch it again.

I really do think the story is crying out for a remake though. I think it would work well as a 12 episode series, with much more going into plot and character development. Netflix should do it, it would be amazing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,294
    Medals:
    When I last watched the mini-series I remember marvelling at how gritty it was. And it's so Australian. Not just the gorgeous views of the harbour bridge which made it clear the mini-series used real locations, but the sensibilities were Australian too.

So many of the Aussie soaps used predation by wild animals in their storylines (most of them, it has to be said, after RTE had done it) and I couldn't imagine similar scenarios playing out to such good effect in something like Dynasty or Howards' Way. What captured my imagination as a Jaws-mad schoolboy was a picture in the TV Times of Stephanie in the water with the croc (as I remember the first episode aired at about 8pm on a Monday - or maybe Tuesday - with the remainder shown over the next evening or so). That it combined that excitement with such soapy goodness was almost more than I could cope with. And then the news a couple of years later that an ongoing series was on the way - just as the prime-time American soaps had peaked. It was just too good to be true.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the mini-series, Alexis. Looking forward to your thoughts on the regular series as you go along.

A remake was on the cards eight or nine years ago. It fell through and I was quite relieved about that. As you say, the story would lend itself to a big budget remake, but the original has such a special place in my heart I'd fear anything that tampered with it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Happy you loved the mini series @Alexis ! I was a huge fan when I was a kid. And still is. The mini was perfect. From start to the end.

The follow up series, was... meh. I mean, it wasn't to my taste. I didn't like the new actors playing Stephanie's children.
    But they did a good Jilly recast. I won't talk about the plot as I don't want to spoil you. But in my head, Stephanie Harper adventures ended with the mini-series. I want to deny the very existence of the follow up lol.

Have you seen "If Tomorrow comes" (1986) ? I was a huge fan too. I think "Return to Eden" and "If tomorrow comes" were my favorite mini-séries in the 80's. Both very different. Both so enjoyable.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I have mentioned it periodically every few months in my posts. I loved the book and the TV show. And the first season of "Revenge" had some good similarities with that and "Return to Eden."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Maybe that's why I love Revenge Season 1 so much. (I gave up very soon during season 2 and never came back)
    But season 1 was really, really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,215
    Medals:
    It doesn't have a strong plot like the mini-series, but I don't think they wanted to copy that, they just tried to create a successful soap opera.
    Like Bare Essence, it was spun off from the mini-series, which is a great idea. Needless to say, I would support any reason for a prime time soap.
    However de pever, Return To Eden II was kind of bad, but it also has many so-bad-it's-good moments. And that should be reason enough for Alexis to watch it. He has to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,865
    Medals:
    I wonder whatever happened to Madolyn Smith. I really enjoyed her in the various 80's mini-series she did.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,215
    Medals:
    She won the Eurovision Song Festival and then became superstar Celine Dion.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Your guess would be correct.

• Winner Winner x 1