1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexis' Drinking In Season 9

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Alexis, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    There are scenes in season 9 where Alexis seems to be in a tailspin. Affected by her company, her empire falling apart and by her bitter feud with Sable as well as by Dex's infidelity with her. A lot of times Alexis is shown as being drunk, drinking or hungover. Sometimes it's for comedy effect. However it seems to be more a case of showing Alexis maybe not coping under immense pressure. There are even scenes where the drinking isn't just for comedy. When it gets to her being drunk in a scene just for being drunk in a scene, do we think that this would have lead on to it being more examined in a possible season 10?

It's implied that Alexis, pre-return to Denver was living a party girl lifestyle. I always envisioned it being a shallow, unhappy existence for her and I imagined she drank a lot. The being paid to stay away thing is very Madame X, in which John Forsyth starred with Lana Turner. I always saw similarities between Alexis, and Lana's Madame X. Especially in their exile. In Madame X, Lana's character turns to drink to try and kill her unhappiness and the grief she's feeling for a very much alive family. It's not a stretch to think that this is what Alexis did in her exile too. Then she gets that call from Jake Dunham. Taken in her Acapulco suite early one morning. With a hazy hangover in a room strewn with bottles and overflowing ashtrays and maybe a discarded unknown lover comatose beside her. Then suddenly there's a lightbulb moment and she's focused. Insanely so, and she makes arrangements to call back Mr Dunham. She forms her story, gets all the details straight in her head. She packs up her best outfits and gets that flight to Denver.

Once there it's a whirlwind and she's too focused to wallow in any unhappiness, she needs to be alert and always ready so her drinking isn't a problem. Later seasons then hint at her drinking when unhappy. Having problems with Dex etc, but then she's really achieved all or almost everything she could have dreamed of. She's not unhappy so she doesn't drink. Until season 9 when the rug is pulled from under her.

Could a character like Alexis have been written to have a drink problem? Could it have been properly done on a show like Dynasty? Would that have been an interesting storyline for you?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Although Alexis told Dr. Toscanni that she really missed the hedonistic lifestyle she'd had during her banishment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Well she swopped one hedonistic lifestyle for another really. Booze and beach boys for furs and jewels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    Not if they would spoon-feed me with a full-on-circus act like the wobbly walk and the dazed expressions and a quasi-hilarious slurred speech.
    But she could have the quiet moments, drinking, not being able to focus, trying to find something and then not remember what she was looking for in the first place. Sometimes these little things are enough to inform the audience.
    Going back in time and having the luxury to ignore the reunion movie I think it could have worked. There is the poignant irony that all this should happen when Krystle is no longer a thorn in her side (from Alexis' point of view of course, since we know it was the other way round).
    It would have the idea that she somehow "lost the plot", and therefore her drive to conquer (and destroy if necessary). It could have been a great aftermath season for her, even going back to Acapulco trying to recapture that hedonistic lifestyle, only to find out that most of her "friends" are no longer there and everything else has moved on (etc etc).
    In the season 10 finale she's sitting in a lousy hotelroom and her state of misery is being interrupted by a phonecall. It's a call from Switzerland. And then cancel the show.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    I have to say no. Alexis getting hammered sometimes and even abusing alcohol is fine, but Alexis becoming an alcoholic is a no-starter for me. The character was not built for it and the show was not built for it. And if it were to happen in some season, it should have been in 7B, which was DYNASTY's equivalent of the DALLAS dream season: it was the coma season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    Give Joan some credit. She's not John James. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    I want Krystle to flirt with bottle during 7B as a result of Alexis taunting her about sleeping with amnesiacal Blake in Singapore.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Medals:
    What if BOTH of them started boozing that season? :lol: It probably would have been WAY more entertaining than what we got!

9. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I don't think making her an alocholic would have been the right fit for the character or the show, it would have been done way over the top. Think of Sue Ellen in Dallas and how she is acted when drunk. I don't think it would have been as successful by Joan Collins.

• Agree Agree x 2