1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album for cats released

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Long Lashes, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,267
    This is not exactly 'Headline News' but I thought it was an interesting article.

Littersweet Symphony: Album for cats released

A musician has created an album of music for feline listeners, even though he is allergic to them.

David Teie, a scientist and cellist in the US National Symphony Orchestra, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars through crowdfunding and sold 10,000 copies of his record independently.

He was then offered a deal with Universal Music and his album Music For Cats is set for release on 28 October.

Mr Teie said that the music was created based on his scientific theory that cats appreciate music through the sounds they hear as kittens, such as their mother's purr or birds chirping.

He told the Press Association: "Not all cats respond - one will go right over to the speaker and one will just walk out of the room. I like the idea that critical taste applies to cats too. But I've seen videos where cats nuzzle up to the speaker or even curl completely around it"

"Very excitable cats are completely calmed and formerly abused or feral cats tend to respond best."

The music is played at shelters, where Mr Teie says it can cut down the time it takes for a feral cat to interact with humans.

"It is communication in the cat's language, of acceptance and understanding and the comfort that goes along with that."

He added that, while reptiles "don't have the brain structures for it, all mammals are ripe for music".

A spokesman for Universal Music said they were "thrilled to be part of this world-first project and break into the massive untapped market of non-human music fans".

"The possibilities are endless for more species-specific 'Music For' albums - dogs and horses could all be on the cards."

I don't have cats so I've no idea if they do respond to music?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,290
    Hey long lashes! Great to have you back btw!

My cats are pretty indifferent to most things most of the time, including me and the music I'm playing. So, I dunno, I'd like think they're enjoying what I play, but so far they haven't found a way to let me know. I could get them this cd but wouldn't be one bit surprised if they just walked off!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,228
    Will it be available on CD?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    This is so cute! I'm not entirely sure if my cats would even care about this, though. They are pretty old and don't seem to do a lot anymore. But I do think that music is good for cats if they have to be left alone for a while. My mom always puts on classical music for her fat, angry Siamese cat when she is gone. But Lucy usually just ends up back in her cat stroller anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,806
    I love this. I'll be trying it out today to see what kind of reaction I get from them.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Long Lashes

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,267
    Hi Kris Richard :wave: its really great to see you too!

I couldn’t ever imagine cats being interested in music which is why this article intrigued me. I also wondered if unknown to me they really are? or maybe this is just a new theory? If someone brings out a CD for dogs I don’t think our dog would take any notice either.

I would think so.
    Maybe one day in the future we could do a Top Ten of our Pets favourite music :lol:

Thats a good idea to help him feel less lonely and one that I hadn’t even thought of. Your Mums cat sounds like a character :)

Have you had a chance to try it out yet? when/if you do, please can you let us know if they liked it :D

• Like Like x 4
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,228
    That would be nice. I don't have a cat but I thought maybe I could use it whenever I'm having trouble falling asleep. The sound of purring is very comforting, I find.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,502
    It does work. I've had cats for many years and they love a bit of classical :dance:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,806
    Boots didn't even flinch

[​IMG]

Millie was totally taken by it, first looking up at the screen, then jumping on the desk trying to get behind it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Long Lashes

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,267
    That’s interesting to hear and especially that your cats even have a preference for classical music.:D

Your cats are gorgeous Ome!!
    Thank you for posting the pictures and also for testing this music out on them too :)

Oh my, that’s amazing to hear and now I’m even more fascinated by this subject. I’ve even got some of my friends testing this out on their cats :lol:

I’ve always loved how music can reach any human no matter what their abilities are and I’d never given much thought to animals enjoying music, now I’m really enthusiastic to go and discover more about this.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Yeah, Lucy is something else alright! As long as everything is done her way, she is nice. But the problem is that it can be very hard to know what her way is exactly. Then it can get ugly!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mrs. JR Ewing

Mrs. JR Ewing Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +108
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Thanks for posting about this LL! Played the clip for my tuxedo girl and she gave it two paws up . Think Santa may have to leave the CD in her stocking.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Long Lashes

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,267
    Wow, thats amazing to hear. Thank you for telling us how she responded :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,041
    I know my cats respond to TV they hate when I put on Walking Dead the Walker sounds scare them. They also respond to loud yelling, and my one cat gets scared if she hears gun shots on a TV show. They don't seem to do much when I'm listening to music but if you dance that gets their attention.

• Like Like x 2