1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new soap - any ideas and thoughts?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,809
    Medals:
    Do you think it's time for a new soap opera to hit our screens? One where it's one for a certain amount of time of the year and with two episodes a week (three at a push) a soap where it's mainly character driven and plots can be brimming and bubbling in the background to keep things moving.

There hasn't been a successful soap since Doctors started in 2000, after that any attempts have failed after a couple of years; such as the Crossroads revival and Night and Day both in the early noughties and Echo Beach in the late noughties.

Soaps now a days have become so plot driven it's hard to keep up with them or its characters I find and I have pretty much given up on them, they're starting to resemble the American soaps which is sad.

So does anyone have any ideas on what new soap you'd like to see on tv?

I have one which is set to be published as a book later next year, it's set in a small Hotel/B & B and it follows the lives of the staff and longer term residents, short term residents could be guest stars for short running stories, there will be some OTT elements to it, it'll be kind of like a middle class Downton Abbey except set in today's era.

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,396
    Medals:
    I don't think we will ever see a new soap. I don't think audiences now would have the patience and attention span to watch a soap unfold and be created slowly. It's all too fast paced and storylines that whack you over the head with a 10lb hammer. I think it's gotten how it is in America with the daytime soaps. They cost too much to produce so to create a new one would be risky for any channel. There have been a few expensive bombs like you mentioned and El Dordao. And the big three that are on at the moment seem to be on all the time. I got totally sick of seeing Corrie. Two episodes a night... There is just no need, especially when it's going through a crappy phase. And Emmerdale seems to be on 5 nights a week? Then there are Hollyoaks and EastEnders, I cant see the BBC ever doing another soap.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,809
    Medals:
    That's why I would label my soap a 'drama' it wouldn't be on all year round just over the summer or Autumn.

I'm getting fed up with the current soaps, and I do agree that the BBC may never again produce another soap, unless Eastenders was cancelled and they had to produce a replacement soap, even then I doubt it would last, it seems that all the soaps are going through a weird phase at the moment.

4. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I think it's time I unearthed my plans for TV's newest soap "Little Chef". It will be set in a service station on the A11 just before it reaches Norwich. Episode one would open with a rape victim lying tousled abd bedraggled in a lorry driver's car park whilst inside, there is a darts match in progress between the Little Chef (Norwich) staff and their big rivals, Little Chef (Yarmouth) I can't give too much more away at this stage until I get my production budget agreed and start casting. I will be playing the broodingly handsome service station manager, Leonardo d'Antoines Poldark-Duval, a dashing bounder eductated at Eton and who will stop at nothing to become Little Chef Service Station manager of the year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think it would make sense for ITV to axe Emmerdale Farm/Emmerdale (it became Emmerdale in 1989), as the show is nothing like it was in the 1970s when it began in 1972 and for the BBC to bring back Eldorado. I hope Eldorado comes back on the BBC during the 2020s-2035, then that way EastEnders and Eldorado could become a dynamic duo. Of course the old names from Eldorado (i.e. Jesse Birdsall, Polly Perkins, Patricia Brake etc) who are alive, well and still in the acting profession would need to return too.

6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,396
    Medals:
    I hope this is on 5 nights a week!

7. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I'm hiring cast at the moment. If anyone is interested, there is the part of a waitress Trixie Butterfly who is not all she seems.

8. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19