A Grain Of Sand In My Shoe

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Grant Jennings, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +983
    At work I share the responsibility of interviewing job applicants. During some interviews I'll get a sense of something that I can't pinpoint that will give me cause for concern - something is "a bit off". I've described this to my co-workers as similar to having a grain of sand in my shoe.

I bring this up after watching a Youtube video about one of my favorite movies: Rebecca (a movie that I consider required viewing for fans of Dynasty - or fans of great film). Toward the end of the video, the reviewer, Dominic Noble, says "a story that frustrates you as much as it entertains you does tend to stay in you memory more effectively".

I think Noble hit the nail on the head when it comes to my (and many other people's) fascination with Dynasty; it's a show that is undeniably entertaining (even when it's at its worst) and can be very frustrating. That frustration comes from watching something that starts off so well and shows so much potential before going off the rails. Then, miraculously, is set back on track at the end before abruptly being cancelled.

The fact that The Reunion is absolute rubbish seems fitting; of course Dynasty can't have a tidy ending thus providing fans a sense of closure. It must end unsatisfactorily so it can linger in our minds. We all can think of much better ways to end it. Or not end it. Some of us imagine what the Carringtons and Colbys are up to thirty years later.

I've bid adieu to the residents of Knots Landing knowing that they are back safely living on Seaview Circle. I know that the Desperate Housewives are living more or less "happily ever after" after moving away from Fairview. But without a truly satisfying resolution to Dynasty I regularly think of my old friends Krystle, Fallon and Sable and wonder how they're doing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Oh, yes. The mortal flaws of DYNASTY have helped keep it in my brain, like the romance that got away, you continue to relive it -- to mourn it and try to mentally fix it.

That said, I'd take a competent DYNASTY any day over the one I have to fanwank most of.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    In other words: fanwaking can be fun creatively, but only to a point.

After all, would one rather re-watch and ponder the significance of GONE WITH THE WIND … or TAP ROOTS?

[​IMG]

4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    I am in the minority here, but the season 9 ending did not bother me. I am off the school that believes a soap starts in medias res and ends that way, with no nifty closure to all characters' lives. How the show derailed, especially during seasons 6A and 7B, bothers me immensely, together with the laziness of many other seasons (most of season 4) and the ineptitude of season 8 (those close-ups).
    As many of us have said, the show started with such a bang early on, it was disheartening to see it sliding more and more through the years.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,487
    Medals:
    Complaints and dissatisfaction will usually create more room for discussion, but I'm not sure if that's the same as "it lingers".
    A well-written story can be entertainingly frustrating.
    Frustration caused by the absence of story or sabotaged storylines is a different matter.

I've said it a few times before: the worst of Falcon Crest (which was far worse than the worst of Dynasty) was always about something that they did.
    The worst of Dynasty was all the things they didn't do, eventhough it was right there in front of their very noses. All they had to do was not to ignore it.
    Dynasty should never have failed because it wasn't possible - and how they proved us wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +811
    I would much rather have had the season 9 finale left the way it was than that incredibly bad reunion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +811
    I wonder what would have happened if any of the main actors said they'd only do the reunion if they could see the script first and it had to make sense/have quality?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Linda and John initially turned down the 1991 Reunion because the script sucked. DYNASTY being DYNASTY, the brass put out a false story that Linda was holding out for more money, which her rep called "a bald-faced lie" (in fact, John, Joan and Linda took less money than their usual salary).

But Aaron pressured them into doing it, explaining they'd be putting a lot of folks out of work. Demanding rewrites apparently just wasn't a possibility.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +811
    That's interesting. I didn't know that.
    I guess Spelling never considered that he'd be putting people out of work for not asking for a better script.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    With the new TV markets opening up after channels around the world started proliferating in the 1990s, the big hits of the 80s, DALLAS and DYNASTY, found new syndication life there. So the argument for the "Reunion" was that if they did not provide closure, its resell value would go down. All of the actors get a small share of syndication profits, so the financial hit would be short term (the "Reunion" salary) and long term (the profit shares)

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +528
    According to Judith Moose (in her book "Glamour, Greed & Glory", which is NOT a very reliable source), all the actors accepted in the 90's an amount of money to give up their syndication profits because they were told the show would aired just once or twice.
    In other words, they were screwed up...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    I read somewhere (definitely not Judith Moose) but only vaguely remember the details that one of the female actresses on Dynasty (Joan Collins?) said she regretted not opting for syndication profits but instead settled for a lumpsum up front; that most of them had. I recall wondering at that time if even the special guest stars had been given that option. I was thinking about Ricardo Montalban.
    In 1990 he sued Columbia Pictures for not paying him 5% of the profits from the 1977-1983 Fantasy Island series as agreed on in his contract. His lawsuit alleged that the series had by then earned more than $100 million and was one of the most successful in American TV history. He was seeking $10 million in punitive damages in addition to the 5% share of profits. His suit filed in the Los Angeles Superior Court alleged that Columbia Pictures Television and Columbia Pictures Industries Inc "manipulated accounting practices" to avoid paying him his share of the profits. Col denied the series turned a profit, and tried to get the suit struck off. In 1996 a judge ruled the case could proceed. The following year the parties settled, but I don't know for how much. However, in addition to the monetary sum, there was also promise of a movie. But it never got made and there was more litigation over that, which was settled in 2000 for $650,000 in arbitration (plus attorney fees).
    I wonder who advised the Dynasty cast.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    These suits over profits not being paid in Hollywood seem endless -- that's why Larry Hagman said he went for as much up-front salary as possible, because the studios have all these ways to screw people on residuals and back-end profit sharing. And they do.

They say always ask for a percentage of the gross, never the net. But that doesn't guarantee you won't be robbed. And most people can't afford exorbitant and protracted court costs.

I've also heard about the lump sum payments for the DYNASTY cast once the show ended. They were told a show like DYNASTY doesn't turn a huge profit in syndication (unlike, say, a half-hour sitcom) so just take the lump sum.... I wonder if anybody did a half-and-half deal.

14. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +983
    Thank you, I guess? I googled "Tap Roots" out of curiosity (never heard of if before, and I love old movies) and found the entire movie is posted on Youtube. I watched it; it wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either. Though it's inspired by a true story you can see GWTW influences from the very beginning: the opening titles are very similar and the theme ends with a wordless chorus. Only the substitution of a narrator instead of text scrolling across the screen is different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1