Countdown 40 Bestselling Studio Albums In The Uk

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ome, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    This is the top 40 bestselling studio albums in the UK.
    40.jpg
    I planned on getting this up at the end of last year, but never got around to doing it. I hope you find it as interesting as I have, or even half of that would still be great. I’m curious over a couple of questions if any of you have any of these albums in your collection.

1. Did you buy this album when it was first released?

2. Did you buy the album at a later date?

3. Do you still listen to the album?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    40. Parachutes – Coldplay [Sales = 2,71M]

[​IMG]

The debut studio album by the British rock band Coldplay. It was released on 10 July 2000 by Parlophone in the United Kingdom.

Upon release, the album quickly reached number one in the United Kingdom, and has since been certified 8× Platinum. In the United States, the album peaked at number 51 on the Billboard 200, and has since been certified Double Platinum. It won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album in 2002, and has earned the band various accolades since its release.

Track Listing

1. "Don't Panic"
    2. "Shiver"
    3. "Spies"
    4. "Sparks"
    5. "Yellow"
    6. "Trouble"
    7. "Parachutes"
    8. "High Speed"
    9. "We Never Change"
    10. "Everything's Not Lost" ("Everything's Not Lost" ends at 5:31. A hidden song called "Life is for Living" starts at 5:39.)

39. Tracy Chapman – Tracy Chapman [Sales = 2,71M]

[​IMG]

The self-titled debut album by singer-songwriter Tracy Chapman, released on April 5, 1988, by Elektra Records.

Tracy Chapman gained critical acclaim from a wide majority of music critics, praising the simplicity, Chapman's vocal ability and her political and social lyrical content. The album received commercial success in most of the countries it was released, making it to the top of the charts in many countries, including Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland, Denmark, and the United Kingdom. It peaked at No. 1 on the US Billboard 200 and was certified six-times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), with sales exceeding over six million copies in the United States alone.

Track Listing

1. "Talkin' 'bout a Revolution"
    2. "Fast Car"
    3. "Across the Lines"
    4. "Behind the Wall"
    5. "Baby Can I Hold You"
    6. "Mountains o' Things"
    7. "She's Got Her Ticket"
    8. "Why?"
    9. "For My Lover"
    10. "If Not Now…"
    11. "For You"

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    38. Christmas – Michael Bublé [Sales = 2,75M]

[​IMG]

Christmas is the seventh studio album and fifth major label studio album released by Canadian singer Michael Bublé. The album was released on October 21, 2011 in Ireland, October 24, 2011 in the United Kingdom, and October 25, 2011 in the United States. On the week ending December 10, 2011, Christmas rose to No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album sales chart, becoming Bublé's third chart-topper

The album also won a Juno Award for Album of the Year, making it the first holiday album to win the award. The album was re-released on November 26, 2012, containing four additional tracks, including a new recording of "The Christmas Song". Bublé also released a reworked version of "White Christmas", this time featuring Shania Twain, as a single

Track Listing
    1. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas"
    2. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"
    3. "Jingle Bells" (featuring The Puppini Sisters)
    4. "White Christmas" (with Shania Twain)
    5. "All I Want for Christmas Is You"
    6. "A Holly Jolly Christmas"
    7. "Santa Baby"
    8. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
    9. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
    10. "Silent Night"
    11. "Blue Christmas"
    12. "Cold December Night"
    13. "I'll Be Home for Christmas"
    14. "Ave Maria"
    15. "Mis Deseos/Feliz Navidad" (with Thalía)
    16. "Michael's Christmas Greeting"

37. But Seriously – Phil Collins [Sales = 2,75M]

[​IMG]

The fourth solo studio album by English rock musician Phil Collins. It was released on 20 November 1989, becoming the best-selling album of 1990 in the UK. It reached No. 1 in the UK and US for fifteen and four non-consecutive weeks respectively. The album has been certified quadruple platinum in the US and nine times platinum in the UK. It also produced five Top 40 singles in both countries, including the US No. 1/UK No. 2 "Another Day in Paradise", which received the Grammy Award for Record of the Year. It is one of the best selling albums in British, Spanish, French and German history.
    A two-disc remastered version of the album was released on 10 June 2016 and contains live songs and demos. The photo of Collins on the front cover was updated to reflect his contemporary look.

Track Listing
    1. "Hang in Long Enough"
    2. "That's Just the Way It Is"
    3. "Do You Remember?"
    4. "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven"
    5. "Colours"
    6. "I Wish It Would Rain Down"
    7. "Another Day in Paradise"
    8. "Heat on the Street"
    9. "All of My Life"
    10. "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning"
    11. "Father to Son"
    12. "Find a Way to My Heart"

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,136
    Medals:
    So far I have a 50% ownership rate...

I enjoyed the singles when they were first released but didn't buy the album until 2016.

I haven't listened to it but I know the day will come.

This one was also purchased in 2016.

Because of the theme it only comes into rotation in late November and out again in January, but I do listen to some of the songs regularly during that time.

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas is my most-played track. Michael's is my favourite version of this song.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    I have misled those of you that have already looked in on this thread. I missed out a crucial word STUDIO. This top 40 does not include compilations such as greatest hits or movie soundtracks, it's all about the studio albums released. When we reach number one I'll post the list including greatest hits.

Of those so far I bought Coldplay at the time it was released and it's still my favourite album them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    I have never actually bought this album myself. However I have always had at least one copy of it. Sometimes as much as three copies, I don't know where they have all come from but I do like the album. So thanks to whoever keeps leaving me copies.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,540
    Medals:
    I've never heard a Tracy Chapman song. Did Ome make a mistake? Should it be a Tracy Ullman album?

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    36. Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield [Sales = 2,76M]

[​IMG]

The debut album by English musician Mike Oldfield, released on Virgin Records on 25 May 1973. It comprises two mostly instrumental compositions of over twenty minutes each. Oldfield recorded it when he was 19 and played most of the instruments.

Although sales were initially slow, Tubular Bells gained global attention when it was used on the soundtrack to the horror film The Exorcist (1973). In 1974, it reached number one in the UK, Australia and Canada, and number three on the US Billboard 200. It was the third-bestselling album of the 1970s in the UK. It is estimated to have sold more than 15 million copies worldwide, including more than 2.6 million in the UK.

Track Listing
    "Tubular Bells (Part One)" (2009 stereo mix) – 25:58
    "Tubular Bells (Part Two)" (2009 stereo mix) – 23:20
    "Mike Oldfield's Single"
    "Sailor's Hornpipe" (Vivian Stanshall version)

35. Scissor Sisters – Scissor Sisters [Sales = 2,76M]

[​IMG]

The debut studio album by American glam rock band Scissor Sisters, first released in 2004 (see 2004 in music). It was released by Polydor in the UK. It reached number 1 on the UK and Irish albums charts, and was the best-selling album of 2004 in the UK. Since its release it has gone 9× Platinum in the UK, selling over 2,700,000 copies in the country alone. In Ireland it has been certified 5× Platinum. The album was not as successful in their native USA, peaking at #102 on the Billboard 200. As of February 2007 it has sold 299,000 copies in United States. The album has sold 3,300,000 copies worldwide, and is listed as one of 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die in the book of the same name, edited by Robert Dimery.

The album won Best International Album at the 2005 BRIT Awards. In July 2006 it was named by Attitude as the top "gay album" of all time.

Track Listing
    1. "Laura"
    2. "Take Your Mama"
    3. "Comfortably Numb"
    4. "Mary"
    5. "Lovers in the Backseat"
    6. "Tits on the Radio"
    7. "Filthy/Gorgeous"
    8. "Music Is the Victim"
    9. "Better Luck"
    10. "It Can't Come Quickly Enough"
    11. "Return to Oz"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    34. Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morissette [Sales = 2,78M]

[​IMG]

The third studio album, and international debut, by Canadian singer Alanis Morissette, released on June 13, 1995 through Maverick. It was her first album to be released worldwide as her first two albums were released only in her native Canada.

Jagged Little Pill topped the charts in thirteen countries; with sales of over 33 million copies worldwide, it is one of the best-selling albums of all time and made Morissette the first Canadian to achieve double diamond sales. Jagged Little Pill was nominated for nine Grammy Awards, winning five, including Album of the Year, making Morissette the youngest artist in history to win the honor, a record she held until 2010, when Taylor Swift won this prize with Fearless (2008). Rolling Stone ranked Jagged Little Pill number 327 on its 2003 list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time".

A musical stage production based on the album premiered at the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge on May 5, 2018.

Track Listing
    1. "All I Really Want"
    2. "You Oughta Know"
    3. "Perfect"
    4. "Hand in My Pocket"
    5. "Right Through You"
    6. "Forgiven"
    7. "You Learn"
    8. "Head over Feet"
    9. "Mary Jane"
    10. "Ironic"
    11. "Not the Doctor"
    12. "Wake Up"

33. X & Y – Coldplay [Sales = 2,79M]

[​IMG]

The third studio album by the British rock band Coldplay. It was released on 6 June 2005 by Parlophone in the United Kingdom, and a day later by Capitol Records in the United States.

The album contains twelve tracks and an additional hidden track, "'Til Kingdom Come". It is omitted from the track listing on the album sleeve, but listed as "+" on the disc label and inside the album booklet. It was originally planned for American country star Johnny Cash to record it with lead singer Chris Martin, but Cash died before he was able to do so.

X&Y was released after a considerable amount of global anticipation. Overall reaction to the album was generally positive, though some critics cited it as being inferior to its predecessors. It was a significant commercial success, reaching the top spot of many charts worldwide, including the United Kingdom and United States, being the first time Coldplay topped the US chart. With accumulated sales of 8.3 million units in 2005 alone, X&Y was the best-selling music album released in 2005 worldwide. The album has sold over 13 million copies worldwide

Track Listing

X
    1. "Square One"
    2. "What If"
    3. "White Shadows"
    4. "Fix You"
    5. "Talk"
    6. "X&Y"

Y
    7. "Speed of Sound"
    8. "A Message"
    9. "Low"
    10. "The Hardest Part"
    11. "Swallowed in the Sea"
    12. "Twisted Logic"
    13. "'Til Kingdom Come" (hidden track)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,136
    Medals:
    I own this one. It was bought perhaps four years after it came out.

It's in iTunes, but it's unticked as I sometimes have a bit of a phobia about falsetto. There's a medical name for it, I think.

My partner owns this one. So it's mine by association, I suppose.

I don't own this yet but I'm curious as I love the title track. It's on my list to buy at some point.

Another I don't own, but Coldplay seem to be doing well with 25% of the albums so far.

Only if you play it at 45 RPM.

But I can easily imagine how Tracy C.'s rendition of Sunglasses would sound. It's... mellower.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    I bought the Scissor Sisters album after their last single release, so I think it was a good year or more before I purchased it. I struggled to forgive them for ravaging 'Comfortably Numb'

I got Jagged Little Pill pretty close after her first single hit our charts. One of my most played albums of the 90s.

I only know this album through my Uncle and I remember really enjoying it but have never bought it.

There's more to come from them...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,611
    Medals:
    Ping! :hats:

Not very often, no. The only one out of these which I return to is - Parachutes by Coldplay.

This is one of those albums I intended to buy and never did.

Maybe if I ask nicely then @Alexis can spare me one of his copies? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    I had this for years then it went missing on me and I never got around to replacing it. I do love it, it feels like a film or film soundtrack. It reminds me of a lot of things, Elton John, Queen, classic disco. There is a real vibe and feeling about the album. I need to replace it.
    As much as I love the album. Attitude in 2006 needs to have a quiet word with itself and wise the f**k up.
    This is clearly the top "gay album" of all time. :p
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    Love all the singles I have heard from it, and I am sure probably a few none singles. However I think the album in its entirety would make want to bang my head off a wall. Alanis has a certain tone to her voice that gets to me quite quickly. I guess the way some people think about Mel C.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    The Heebie Bee Gees.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,136
    Medals:
    Just for you, Alexis. Skip to 3:57:

17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    Shudder....

18. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,367
    Medals:
    I remember the buzz and gushing reviews surrounding this album when it was released so bought it not long after it was released to see what all the excitement was about. I played it once, hated it, found it depressing and gave it away to a friend. I have never given Coldplay a chance ever since and still won't listen to their music by choice.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,367
    Medals:
    I bought this one not long after it was released on the strength of liking the single Hand In Pocket. I played in regularly for about 10 years but not listened to it for over 10 years now.

I don't own any of the other albums in the list, although I have listened to Buble's Christmas album a few times online.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,223
    32. The War of the Worlds – Jeff Wayne [Sales = 2,80M]

po.jpg

This album only reached number 5 in the UK charts

The debut album by Jeff Wayne, retelling the story of The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, released in the UK 9 June 1978. A concept album, its main format is progressive rock and string orchestra, using narration and leitmotifs to carry the story and rhyming melodic lyrics that express the feelings of the various characters. The two-disc album remains a bestseller, having sold millions of records around the world, and by 2009 it was the 40th best selling album of all time in the UK with sales of 2,561,286. It has since spawned multiple versions of the album, video games, DVDs, and live tours.

Performers
    Richard Burton – spoken words (The Journalist: the narrator-protagonist)
    Justin Hayward – vocals (The Sung Thoughts of the Journalist)
    David Essex – spoken words and vocals (The Artilleryman)
    Chris Thompson – vocals (The Voice of Humanity)
    Phil Lynott – spoken words and vocals (Parson Nathaniel)
    Julie Covington – spoken words and vocals (Beth)
    Jerry Wayne – spoken words (The Voice of NASA)

Track Listing
    Side A

1. "The Eve of the War" Justin Hayward and Richard Burton
    2. "Horsell Common and the Heat Ray"

Side B
    1. "The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine"
    2. "Forever Autumn"
    3. "Thunder Child"

Side C
    1. "The Red Weed (Part 1)"
    2. "Parson Nathaniel"
    3. "The Spirit of Man"
    4. "The Red Weed (Part 2)"

Side D
    1. "Brave New World"
    2. "Dead London"
    3. "Epilogue (Part 1)"
    4. "Epilogue (Part 2)"

31. Hopes & Fears – Keane [Sales 2,86M]

[​IMG]

The debut studio album by the English alternative rock band Keane. It was released on 10 May 2004 in the United Kingdom and topped the UK Albums Chart upon release. It was the second best-selling British album of 2004, behind the Scissor Sisters' self-titled debut album, and has since been certified 9× Platinum by the BPI. The album returned to the top of the charts after winning a Brit Award for Best Album in February 2005.

With more than 2.7 million copies sold in the UK, Hopes and Fears ranks the 11th-best-selling album of the 2000s in the UK. In July 2011, it was ranked the 9th biggest-selling album of the 21st century in the UK. Worldwide, the album has sold over 5.8 million copies as of November 2009

Track Listing
    1. "Somewhere Only We Know"
    2. "Bend and Break"
    3. "We Might as Well Be Strangers"
    4. "Everybody's Changing"
    5. "Your Eyes Open"
    6. "She Has No Time"
    7. "Can't Stop Now" 3:38
    8. "Sunshine"
    9. "This Is the Last Time"
    10. "On a Day Like Today"
    11. "Untitled 1"