2018 German Grand Prix.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Santa Swami, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    F1 returns to Hockenheim after an absence of 2 years, although still a pale shadow of the original 4.2 mile circuit which held the race until 2002.

Swami

2. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    German Grand Prix: Red Bull's Max Verstappen fastest in second practice
    [​IMG]
    By Andrew Benson

[​IMG]
    Verstappen has won one race in 2018 and sits sixth in the drivers' championship
    Red Bull's Max Verstappen was the surprise pacesetter ahead of the two Mercedes drivers in second practice for the German Grand Prix.

The Dutchman, whose team are not expected to be able to compete for pole position with Mercedes and Ferrari, pipped Lewis Hamilton by 0.026 seconds.

Hamilton, who made a mistake on his best lap, was 0.225secs clear of title rival Sebastian Vettel.

The Briton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas was also ahead of the German's Ferrari.

"It's very hot, which makes it very demanding and physical in the car," said Hamilton, who trails Vettel by eight points at the top of the drivers' standings.

"The car was feeling good, but it is very close, so there's lots of work to do tonight.

"Both Ferrari and Red Bull were very quick and I think it will be very similar tomorrow and on Sunday. It's going to be a serious challenge and it's not an easy track to get right, so we will have to give it everything."

Verstappen's fastest time meant Red Bull topped both sessions on Friday, after team-mate Daniel Ricciardo set the pace in the morning session from Hamilton by just 0.004secs.

Ricciardo, who will start from the back of the grid as a result of penalties for using too many engine parts, was only 13th fastest after a late start to the session and a spin, which meant he did not do a qualifying simulation run like the rest of the drivers.

Red Bull in general had a difficult day, despite setting the pace. Verstappen suffered an engine problem midway through the second session and was not able to complete a race-simulation run, trying the car on heavy fuel.

"I feel like we have a good balance with the car," said Verstappen. "It was a nice surprise to start so competitively here but we have to remember it is only Friday. The others will be quicker for qualifying but certainly a better than expected start.

"We lost a few laps due to a small oil leak this afternoon but this was quickly fixed and I managed to get a few laps in at the end of the session to make sure everything was fine."

[​IMG]
    'I'm hearing a lot of noise' - Verstappen topped the session despite his late mechanical issues
    Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen was fifth fastest, ahead of the Haas drivers Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen.

On the long runs, when teams prepare for race conditions, Ferrari appeared to have a small advantage over Mercedes - Vettel was an average of about 0.2secs quicker than Hamilton on both the ultra-soft and the medium tyre, although Bottas and Raikkonen set almost identical averages on their runs on the soft.

Vettel said: "We are missing a little on one-lap performance. I think we can improve.

"I wasn't entirely happy. It was the only shot I had on the ultra-soft but the car is fine and I think we can still gain something. It seems very close."

Sauber's Charles Leclerc, tipped to be promoted to Ferrari at the expense of Raikkonen next year, continued his impressive progress with the eighth-fastest time, 0.4secs and six places ahead of team-mate Marcus Ericsson, and ahead of Renault's Nico Hulkenberg and Force India's Esteban Ocon.

McLaren, having to use Fridays as test sessions because the car is suffering aerodynamic problems on track that the wind tunnel does not show up, had yet another difficult day.

Fernando Alonso ended the day 17th fastest with team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne slowest of all.

Swami

3. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    German GP: Sebastian Vettel on pole as Lewis Hamilton suffers hydraulic failure
    [​IMG]
    By Andrew Benson

[​IMG]
    BBC Sport has live coverage of Sunday's race across BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, and BBC Sport online, plus live digital coverage on the BBC Sport website and app. Text coverage begins at 13:00 BST
    Lewis Hamilton will start the German Grand Prix from 14th on the grid while title rival Sebastian Vettel took a stunning pole position for Ferrari.

Hamilton's Mercedes suffered hydraulic failure in the first part of the session, grinding to a halt on track.

Vettel set pole from Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas by 0.204 seconds and is now in position to extend his eight-point lead in the championship.

But Bottas' second place gives him a chance to challenge Ferrari.

The Finn edged out Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen by 0.131secs and has the inside line on the run to the first corner for Sunday's race.

Bottas said: "The start is going to be crucial. Race pace-wise, it is going to be close."

Another blow for Hamilton
    [​IMG]
    Lewis Hamilton looked disconsolate as he crouched by the side of his stricken Mercedes
    Hamilton is consigned to another fightback, but he did not sound optimistic of achieving what he did at Silverstone two weeks ago, when he was punted into a spin by Raikkonen on the first lap but fought back to challenge Vettel for victory in the closing stages.

"It definitely was a tough one. These things happen and all you can do is try to gather your thoughts and put whatever energy you have towards trying to do your best next day. Live to fight another day, another opportunity to rise," Hamilton told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I'll give everything to see how high I can get up but it's not going to be like Silverstone. I am sure I will be able to get through to some point, but to where I don't know."

Hamilton's problem emerged shortly after he had run wide at the high-speed Turn One.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the problem was "definitely not caused by Lewis' driving". He said that Hamilton suffered a hydraulic leak as he was going over the kerbs at Turn One. This caused a power-steering failure, which caused the car to bounce over the rough ground as he rejoined the track.

He was unable to change gears and was ordered to stop out on the circuit because the problem risked damaging the engine.

It is the latest in a series of blows for Hamilton and Mercedes, after a double retirement in Austria, where they also made a strategic error, and his incident with Raikkonen at his home race.

[​IMG]
    It's a Bottas sandwich on Sunday as the the two Ferrari drivers - Vettel and Raikkonen - take pole position and third on the grid
    Ferrari on top
    Vettel, who grew up in Heppenheim, less than 30 miles from the track, soaked up the cheers of his home crowd and said he had always felt from his first run in first qualifying that he could take pole.

"Thanks to the fans. It was amazing to see so many Ferrari and German flags," he said. "It just kept getting better and I knew for the last lap I had a little bit more in more. I'm full of adrenaline but so happy."

Raikkonen looked to have the pace to challenge for pole but, as happens so often to the veteran Finn, a mistake in final qualifying affected him.

He ran wide at the fast Turn 12 at the entry to Hockenheim's Stadium section on his first run in the top-10 shootout, clipping the inside kerb and firing across to the outside, where he bounced over the kerbs.

He said the time he lost there meant he had to apply more caution than was ideal to his final lap.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen was fourth after setting the pace in both practice sessions on Friday. He was optimistic then that, on race pace, his team could challenge Mercedes and Ferrari.

Team-mate Daniel Ricciardo starts from the back as a result of grid penalties for using too many engine parts.

[​IMG]
    Stoffel Vandoorne starts 19th on the grid on Sunday, ahead of Daniel Ricciardo
    Impressive Haas lock out third row
    Haas drivers Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean continued their team's recent strong form with fifth and sixth places on the grid, ahead of the Renaults of Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz, another strong showing from Sauber's Charles Leclerc and Force India's Sergio Perez.

Fernando Alonso gave McLaren their best qualifying performance since Monaco with 11th place, but team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne was last of all, struggling with an unspecified problem with the car.

"He is doing what he can," Alonso said of his team-mate.

"The last two races it seems that car has some kind of performance issue. There is clear signs on the data that there is less downforce on that car. We have been changing some parts and we need to go deep into that investigation."

And there was a chink of light for Williams after a difficult first half of the season. Russian Sergey Sirotkin used a new front wing aimed at solving the car's fundamental aerodynamic inconsistency to qualify 12th. Team-mate Lance Stroll was 19th.

[​IMG]
    This was only Vettel's second pole position at his home race. The first, in 2010, ended with the then-Red Bull driver taking third place behind the Ferraris of race-winner Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa. You know the one: "Felipe, Fernando is faster than you..."
    [​IMG]
    Hamilton is chasing a fifth world title this season
    [​IMG]
    Ricciardo and Hamilton have proved already this season they are master overtakers... they will have to show that again from last and 14th tomorrow

Swami

4. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    German Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton wins after Sebastian Vettel crashes out
    [​IMG]
    By Andrew Benson

[​IMG]
    Lewis Hamilton took a sensational victory in a thrilling, rain-hit German Grand Prix as Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel crashed out to gift the Mercedes driver a 17-point lead in their championship battle.

Vettel had been cruising to victory ahead of Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas until rain started to fall with about 25 laps to go.

The downpour, affecting only part of the track, turned the race on its head and brought Hamilton into the mix when he had been looking at a fourth-place finish after starting 14th following a hydraulic failure in qualifying.

Hamilton began to carve into the advantage of the three leading drivers - Vettel, his Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and Bottas - as chaos erupted down the field.

And then, as the rain became heavier, Vettel lost control at the Sachs Kurve hairpin in Hockenheim's Stadium section in front of tens of thousands of his home fans, bringing out the safety car.

The four-time champion swore over the radio as he took in the potential damage to his title hopes.

Hamilton pulled away at the front following the safety car period, but only after Bottas was told to back off an initial challenge and hold position.

It was a remarkable result in a remarkable race, which had started as a damage-limitation exercise and ended with his 66th career victory - and one of his best.

"Get in there, Lewis," his engineer Peter Bonnington said as the chequered flag fell. "Miracles do happen."

"Great job by you guys," Hamilton said, but it had been far from smooth sailing for the world champion.

However, Hamilton's win was later put in doubt after he was summoned to the stewards to explain a driving misdemeanour.

How did he do that?
    The race was thrown into disarray by the rain and Mercedes were not immune from the chaos, as evidenced by a breathless radio exchange when the safety car was deployed following Vettel's crash.

Hamilton was told to pit, then told the team Raikkonen was pitting in front of him and was told to stay out, which became "in, in, in, in!" as he aborted and cut across the grass to rejoin the track.

Listen: 'Valtteri, please hold position'
    Driver of the day - Lewis Hamilton
    Who else? Hamilton was sensational, from the way he looked after his tyres, to his pace on slicks in the wet
    What's next?
    The first part of the F1 season ends in Hungary next weekend, where the twisty track could bring Red Bull into the fight for victory, and should favour Ferrari over Mercedes. But, after a race like this, who would dare predict a result?

Swami

5. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    German Grand Prix: Hamilton summoned to the stewards to put result in doubt
    [​IMG]
    By Andrew Benson

Lewis Hamilton could lose his victory in the German Grand Prix after being summoned to the stewards to explain a driving misdemeanour.

The Mercedes driver aborted a decision to pit to change tyres under a late-race safety car and cut across the grass to rejoin the track and take the lead.

The F1 rules dictate that "crossing the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited".

His win gave him a 17-point championship lead over rival Sebastian Vettel.

The race was thrown into disarray by the rain and Mercedes were not immune from the chaos, as evidenced by a breathless radio exchange when the safety car was deployed following Vettel's race-ending crash.

Hamilton was told to pit, then told the team Kimi Raikkonen was pitting in front of him and was told to stay out, which became "in, in, in, in!" as he aborted and cut across the grass to rejoin the track.

Swami

6. Santa Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    German GP: Lewis Hamilton reflects on 'emotional day' after win and reprimand
    [​IMG]
    By Andrew Benson

[​IMG]
    Lewis Hamilton takes a trip across the grass as he aborts his pit entry
    Lewis Hamilton reflected on a "most emotional, unbelievable day" as he kept his German Grand Prix win after an investigation into a driving offence.

Hamilton cut across the grass to rejoin the track and take the lead after a late decision to abort a pit stop.

Stewards took into account mitigating factors in a chaotic part of the race and issued a reprimand.

"The most emotional day - up and down. No-one ever wants to go see the stewards," the Mercedes driver said.

F1 rules dictate that "crossing the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited".

Race stewards said that although Hamilton had clearly broken the rules on entering the pits, a reprimand was the "appropriate penalty". Other possible punishments included a five- or 10-second penalty.

The ruling took into account that the driver and team admitted their mistake; that the offence was during a safety car period, when the speed of cars on track is controlled; and that the manoeuvre did not endanger any other drivers and was "executed in a safe way".

His win gave him a 17-point championship lead over rival Sebastian Vettel.

Speaking after the verdict, Hamilton said: "It has been an unbelievable day."

Hamilton started the race 14th and had fought up to be fifth when a rain shower hit with just over 20 laps to go.

Vettel, who had dominated the race to that point, crashed and Hamilton took the lead as his rivals pitted following the subsequent safety car period.

Mercedes then called off a fight between him and team-mate Valtteri Bottas after the re-start, ordering the Finn to hold position to protect their unexpected one-two finish.

The result meant that, having expected to lose further ground in the championship to Vettel, Hamilton now has an advantage heading into next weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, the last before F1's four-week summer break.

Speaking before the stewards' investigation, Hamilton said: "I don't remember feeling this great. I am going to try to enjoy it while it lasts. I am tired because it was a hard race.

"I saw the cloud coming and then it started to spit - and as soon as it started, I was like, 'Yes, this is going to create the opportunity at the right time.' And, Jeez, it did.

"It is a whirlwind of a season. It has been up and down. I am grateful for the ups and downs.

"I woke up this morning and I was like, 'I'm 14th, I don't know what I can do from there but the dream is to win.'

"We all have dreams and they just seem so impossible to reach but I have done it time and time again.

"I had this dream to win and I can't explain how it happened but I won. It gives me the confidence to know that when I go again at something, when I have a dream and a goal, I can get there with hard work."

The FIA's ruling in full
    The stewards reviewed video and audio evidence, heard from the driver of car 44 (Lewis Hamilton) and the team representative. It was clear that there was an infringement of the above mentioned rule - the driver clearly crossed the line separating the pit entry from the track.

In deciding on the penalty for the infringement, we took into account the following mitigating factors.

i) The driver and the team candidly admitted the mistake and the fact that there was confusion within the team as to whether to stay out or to enter the pits and that led to the infringement.

ii) The fact that the infringement took place during a safety car period

iii) At no time was there any danger to any other competitor and the change in direction was executed in a safe way.

Swami